Are calories or nutrition important?

Options
If I am following a lower calorie diet, even though it isn't the healthiest, but it is lower calorie, when will I notice the difference in my weight. I have been at it for about a week and a half and my weight fluctuates so much that I am not weighing myself anymore. My diets is not great but I have small kids and one of them along with my husband are picky about what they eat and i am constantly fighting with my son about how he needs to eat his dinner veggies and all so he grows healthy. My husband is a lost cause and I am not his mother. She didn't care and as an adult he doesn't either, so when my story's that on me I am clear that I am his mother and I am my hubby's wife and those are two different roles I play. I want my kids to eat healthy as do i, but I find it really hard to come up with easy delicious meals full of veggies and fruits he will eat so I end up snacking and eating garbage even though I do not go over my calories.

Will this affect my weightloss? Is the calorie deficit enough even though the food is not the healthiest in the least bit? Btw I am walking a daily average of 5 to 6 miles.

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The heathiness, or lack thereof, of an individual item of food is a myth.

Healthiness is a property of diets. Foods themselves cannot be healthy or unhealthy without the context of diet.

What is unhealthy about your diet?
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    you have been at it for a week!
    Don't weigh yourself every day, maximum once a week and give it time.
    If you notice you haven't lost weight eating 'crappy' then do some changes.
    It's all about finding what works best for you.

People usually stock up on veggies, because they are low on cals, and they are filling. So i would rather have a big salad for almost no calories then eat a tiny bag of chips as a snack for 150 cals 3/4 of which are fat, and not feel satisfied.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You lose at a calorie deficit, but mostly if you only eat low calories of junk, you'll be hungry a lot, and probably won't have much energy either because you'll be missing nutrients... so typically, you really don't want to do that.

IMO you're using a lot of excuses to eat poorly. My kids are picky eaters but they figured out a long time ago that if they don't eat what's for dinner, they go to bed hungry. And I'd frankly probably do the same with my husband (or he can cook his own food!).
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how this situation makes you have to snack on a lot of junk food.
  • Sasha1417
    Sasha1417 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Pop tarts! Lol.... And all the other overloads of sugar I eat
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that anything anyone says is going to help here.

You're a parent. It's up to you to say "no" to your children, not complain because their existence makes it difficult for you to lose weight.

Your husband's diet and maturity level have no bearing on what you eat or don't eat.

Plan your meals, shop for the appropriate foods, prepare your meals, and eat a balanced diet.

If you want specific help on what to buy, how to plan, etc., then we can and are willing to help. And no, what you eat won't affect your weight loss, at least not by much. The how much is what really matters. You can eat junk food all day long, and if you eat at a calorie deficit then you will lose weight. It's certainly not the healthiest or the recommended approach though.
  • Sasha1417
    Options
    You lose at a calorie deficit, but mostly if you only eat low calories of junk, you'll be hungry a lot, and probably won't have much energy either because you'll be missing nutrients... so typically, you really don't want to do that.

IMO you're using a lot of excuses to eat poorly. My kids are picky eaters but they figured out a long time ago that if they don't eat what's for dinner, they go to bed hungry. And I'd frankly probably do the same with my husband (or he can cook his own food!).

Love your response and your absolutely right. I have been doing that for a few weeks with them and I let them cry it out because I am not cooking four different dinners for each of us. My hubby is on his own. He is gaining weight because instead of not eating well he eats what he likes and then tears through the pantry....

As far as my diet, I have been logging and I have been at it for we'll over two years, but this year has been very hard because of injuries and weight fluctuations due to the new issues in my life. Never have a iPad issues maintains my weight. Yes it's been one week of actually trying to keep within my calorie range and walking, I appreciate the honesty, but sometimes we drown in a cup of water hehehe.

As far as easy healthy recipes any suggestions...?. I stay home with my daughter while my boy is at school so we eat at home and ill pack him a sandwich (which he only eats half of) with grapes and carrots and a juice. He doesn't eat the carrots. Let me be clear on this also, my mother immigrated to this country and I grew up on eating home cooked meals and fruits and veggies. I was always average weight never too thin and never ever fat. Up until I got married and found my love for junk through my hubby. I'm trying to go back to my roots for the sake of my health and my kids!!

So basically, it doesn't matter what I eat as long as the calories are down and exercise goes up.
  • Socalgal13
    Options
    It is a choice, either you do or you don't with less then healthy foods. All calories are not created equal. 100 calories of kale vs 100 calories of a pop tart. The kale has by far more going for it with the nutrients, fiber and protein. The pop tart, carbs, sugar and more sugar.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a lot of excuses! Yes, a calorie deficit will help you lose weight, but fueling your body with crud will make you feel like crud. It isn't hard to make healthy delicious meals that can satisfy any palette. I mean, my boyfriend would NOT eat veggies before he met me, but since I cook them in different ways he has changed his mind.

Plan your meals by browsing healthy food blogs, you can still have your pizza and mac&cheese, but know that there are healthier ways to do it. It isn't all about just eating salads.

If you'd like to add me, my food diary is open. I feel like I do a pretty good job of eating very healthy and well-rounded meals, but still loving what I eat.

good luck!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    My husband learned pretty quick that if he wanted dinner without making it himself he was going to have to man up and eat some broccoli (or whatever else I made). Not exposing your kids to new foods and to healthy things to eat is a very big disservice to them. Make the meals you want to eat. Insist that the kids try 3 bites of every new food before they reject it. Tell them they will have to fend for themselves if they won't eat the food you are preparing. Have cereal or bread and cheese available so they can make a sandwich or something. Before long they will a) be tired of making their own sandwich b) be more used to some of the new foods they have been tasting c) discover that they actually like some of these healthier foods d) not miss the chicken nuggets or other junk very much.
  • Sasha1417
    Options

You're a parent. It's up to you to say "no" to your children, not complain because their existence makes it difficult for you to lose weight.

Your husband's diet and maturity level have no bearing on what you eat or don't eat.

Plan your meals, shop for the appropriate foods, prepare your meals, and eat a balanced diet.

If you want specific help on what to buy, how to plan, etc., then we can and are willing to help. And no, what you eat won't affect your weight loss, at least not by much. The how much is what really matters. You can eat junk food all day long, and if you eat at a calorie deficit then you will lose weight. It's certainly not the healthiest or the recommended approach though.

Yes , yes , and yes. I am in agreement with you, and I have been getting myself into the habit for well over two years, as far as my groceries go, the have gotten cheaper because I am buying less crap and more produce. Every cook book I look at has these complicated meals with expensive ingredients or just ridiculous amount of ingredients. I cook mostly Cuban dishes but I find they do not incorporate much more than plantain, tomatoes, meat, and rice. Of course there are other things that go into different meals I cook but for the most part it is getting boring really fast to eat rice and beans almost everyday. And about my kids, I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining but yes it has been a six year struggle with my boy, he's been fussy since birth, I swear. He didn't even want to breast feed. I had to pump and bottle feed after three months because he didn't want to suck out the milk (it takes a lot of jaw work for them to get it out and he wasn't going for it). It's not excuses it the reality of my food life with my family.

I serve salads veggies and all kinds of things I find extremely refreshing and delicious but they won't even try it. My doctor tells me to keep it up and they will eventually starve themselves out and eat, but when I have done this, my thing boy only gets thinner and looks sick. He's really tough to get through.... So I'm the only one eating this stuff along with my toddler who by god is awesome. She eats anything and everything and at least tries new things.

I guess what I am getting at is, should I continue with this approach of doing what is healthy for all of us (and I am not going to either extremes of healthy or unhealthy) and just wait him out?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Yes , yes , and yes. I am in agreement with you, and I have been getting myself into the habit for well over two years, as far as my groceries go, the have gotten cheaper because I am buying less crap and more produce. Every cook book I look at has these complicated meals with expensive ingredients or just ridiculous amount of ingredients. I cook mostly Cuban dishes but I find they do not incorporate much more than plantain, tomatoes, meat, and rice. Of course there are other things that go into different meals I cook but for the most part it is getting boring really fast to eat rice and beans almost everyday. And about my kids, I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining but yes it has been a six year struggle with my boy, he's been fussy since birth, I swear. He didn't even want to breast feed. I had to pump and bottle feed after three months because he didn't want to suck out the milk (it takes a lot of jaw work for them to get it out and he wasn't going for it). It's not excuses it the reality of my food life with my family.

I serve salads veggies and all kinds of things I find extremely refreshing and delicious but they won't even try it. My doctor tells me to keep it up and they will eventually starve themselves out and eat, but when I have done this, my thing boy only gets thinner and looks sick. He's really tough to get through.... So I'm the only one eating this stuff along with my toddler who by god is awesome. She eats anything and everything and at least tries new things.

I guess what I am getting at is, should I continue with this approach of doing what is healthy for all of us (and I am not going to either extremes of healthy or unhealthy) and just wait him out?

Personally, I would wait him out and keep going. There are plenty of healthy alternatives out there to play with. We were lucky with our oldest as she will eat nearly anything and gravitates toward healthier foods. Our 3 y.o. on the other hand asks for candy every morning and gets the same answer "no." My wife assures me that the older one was the same, and my memory is screwed up. She's probably right. lol! So yes, you're going to have to keep it up with your son. He will eventually get it.

Some ideas for snacks and meals that are healthy and he may like: Hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks and slices (kids are big on texture so he may like one more than the other), apples, bananas, peanuts, almonds, raw baby carrots, grilled chicken tenders, pork chops, tortillas, salmon, plain Greek yogurt mixed with chocolate protein powder, milk with chocolate protein powder, grapes, watermelon, broccoli, peanut butter, homemade hamburgers with fortified or whole wheat buns, spaghetti and meatballs . . . These are things that we regularly feed our kids. Again, my 3 y.o. is a challenge but she is slowly getting that treats don't come all the time and that they certainly don't come if she doesn't eat her regular food.

If your son has a real problem with only eating junk then make it unavailable in the house. Either hide it or don't buy it. If I buy donuts, everyone gets one, but then any remaining are on a top shelf, again so our 3 y.o. doesn't try to climb after them.