Over night weight loss

Options
Angold83
Angold83 Posts: 61 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hiya,

So I only started this yesterday morning and I have woken up this morning 7lb lighter! How can that be? I know I shouldn't have weighed myself but my stomach was a little flatter and I feel less bloated. AF has just finished and I did put on 7lbs a week ago before she arrived. Do I log this?? Or do i change my starting weight? A little confused and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank u!

Replies

• JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    The answer I see most often is that it's water weight/fluctuation. Only log at the end of the week and you'll start averaging a pattern.

Depending on how much you've got to lose you will see some dramatic stuff at first.

But hey, take it and enjoy!!
    Motivation comes from things like this.

And good luck with the next few days. Keep doing what you're doing.
    And if you need friends on here feel free to add me.

:smile:
  • Angold83
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for your reply. I'll wait until Friday then to weigh in. I want to lose 56lb so yes a fair amount to lose! I do tend to lose quickly at first then it goes to a more steady 1-1.5 lb per week. I have added you. Your pic looks fab! Thank you!
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    There are two schools of thought here...

Daily weight and weekly weight.

Weekly weight takes some of the stress out of this. You don't have to think about the numbers on the scale. All you worry about is what your plan is. It keeps you from second guessing your plan, and helps you stay motivated.

Daily weight can be kind of nerve wracking. When you've just had a great day, and that scale is up two pounds....YIKES. I have been a daily weigher for years, and it's the only way I could do this. I log every day, and after 50 days on MFP, I can see a very clear downward trend in my weight. There are fluctuations, yes...but I have made my peace with them.

There are so many factors that affect your weight on any day. Your water retention, your digestion, what time of day it is, where you are in your menstrual cycle...I always worry if I weigh weekly that my number is off because of one of these factors.

It depends on what you personally like...I weigh at the same time every day, naked, first thing in the morning, after I pee. Same scale. Those are the important things...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    probably water weight..

I would recommend weighing three times a week in the morning (mon/wens/fri) and then take weekly average..this will help you figure out maintenance level, losing level, and bulking level (if you ever get to this point)..

that is what I do ...
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    It is due to cosmic relative functions evaporating through the equators pulse waves. Clearly.
  • tickereee
    tickereee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    While I do weigh myself every day with that same method of doing it when I first wake up, naked and after I pee and I write down that weight every day in a little notebook - its good for me to see how I fluctuate and what my trends are - BUT I only have one official weigh-in day each week which I post on here. I find it's a good balance to see those day to day ups and downs but then see the overall downward trend with the weekly weigh-ins :) Keep it up!
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Weight can fluctuate quite a bit day to day...I've noticed it's mostly from differences in carb (specifically gluten, go figure) intake.

Still, good on you for starting! You're gonna do great!
  • Angold83
    Options
    Thank u all for your comments. You have been really helpful! :-)
  • ajroberts11
    ajroberts11 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm also in the "weigh-daily, record weekly" camp. Seeing the daily fluctuations serve as a great reminder to be diligent about making healthy choices. Recording weekly prevents me from becoming spastic about those same fluctuations.

The caveat: Any time I increase my calorie allowance, I hide the scale for a few weeks while my body adjusts to having more fuel to burn! Otherwise, I'm diligent about my method.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and lost 8 pounds the first week. Coming off of vacation and bad habits I am sure contributed. Then I gained 5 back the next week but by the end of the week was down another one. So now what I do is weigh daily to keep me focused but I record only when I am down from my lowest previous weight. And you bet I am counting that first 8! :-)
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    So, unfortunately, you did not lose 7 pounds of fat overnight! It's not uncommon for weight to fluctuate several pounds from day to day, but if you changed your diet suddenly, it's likely that most of that 7 is water. That's not a bad thing... 7 pounds is 7 pounds. Just don't be disappointed when things even out and your seeing much smaller numbers. Keep it up and Good luck!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and keep a running average (exponentially smoothed weighted average) to filter out the actual trend from the daily fluctuations. John Walker explains how in "The Hacker's Diet" (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/), chapter on "Signal & Noise."

Always weigh yourself at about the same time of day, though (first thing in the morning is when I do it).

It's pretty common to lose water weight when you start running a calorie deficit, in part because your muscles consume stored glycogen before the body starts metabolizing more fatty acids, and that glycogen is stored with 4 times its weight in water. That doesn't account for 7 lbs., though! Maybe a couple.

For the same reason, at the end of your journey, you'll gain back some weight when you resume eating maintenance calories, as the glycogen tanks are topped off. For that reason, many people recommend that you drop 3-4 lbs. below your target weight, since you'll likely gain that much back when you start to maintain.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 56lb so yes a fair amount to lose! I do tend to lose quickly at first then it goes to a more steady 1-1.5 lb per week. I have added you. Your pic looks fab! Thank you!

This is standard. You lose a bunch of water weight in the beginning, then you start to lose mass. That is when the weight loss slows down.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You probably sweated some of it out overnight, and the rest is due to household scale inaccuracy. I can get that much of a difference by weighing myself in different parts of the room, because the floor is slightly uneven.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If you just finished your cycle, you were probably bloated. I say change your starting weight and only weigh once per week :)
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Pick one. Weekly at the same time of day, or do it daily. You can fluctuate up to 5 lbs in a week naturally. Your body is a biological system trying to maintain a balance. Its normal. Consistency will tell you if you are losing true weight or not.

Personally I weight daily and ignore increases (and what they could mean to my self-esteem). I've tracked for months in a row, charted it, and there is a definite up and down swing for me. I dont sweat the up-swing because I know that my cycle has a huge impact on it. "Real" weightloss for me is a few days after my period ends. That is my lowest point consistently and if I have lost weight/inches thats when I see it. You are looking for a pattern, not a daily number.
  • Angold83
    Options
    Thank u all for your comments. U are helping me greatly! :-) x
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    While I do weigh myself every day with that same method of doing it when I first wake up, naked and after I pee and I write down that weight every day in a little notebook - its good for me to see how I fluctuate and what my trends are - BUT I only have one official weigh-in day each week which I post on here. I find it's a good balance to see those day to day ups and downs but then see the overall downward trend with the weekly weigh-ins :) Keep it up!
    This is what I did as well. Helped me see patterns, fluctuations, and how certain foods affected me.
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I actually will go 2-3 weeks w/out losing, and then all of a sudden I will lose 5-7 lbs all at once (and it stays off, so it must be the accumulated weight, not just water).
This discussion has been closed.