plastic surgery advice

Options
Hey guys I'm 22 and I've lost a little over 50 pounds with roughly fifteen more to go. I've noticed my stomach is refusing to tone and I have lose skin, will this tighten up? Even though I've included weight training..and I lost the weight at a steady healthy 1-2 pds per week. I've considered getting a tummy tuck, what are your opinions on this any advice? I've worked extremely hard, and having this issue is frustrating. Not looking for a quick fix, just a thought. I've always carried 90% of my weight around my mid section due to pcos. I'm just not convinced that after I get to my goal weight it'll tighten up.

Replies

• needtoloseafewpounds
    needtoloseafewpounds Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, there are no magic creams that will firm loose skin and give you a non surgical tummy tuck.
    If you really want it, then I say go for it! I was worried about getting loose skin after my weight loss as well and if
    I do manage to get a noticeable amount, I will most likely get a tummy tuck as well. :) Good luck in deciding!
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Slower fat loss aids in your skin adapting.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I've heard it can take a while after the fat loss even a year or so for it to tighten up more. I'd wait a while or talk to a doctor about it.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Slower fat loss aids in your skin adapting.

I keep hearing this, yet I've never met a person who lost any significant amount of weight "slowly" (whatever that means) and didn't get loose skin. Does anyone have before and after pics of formerly-obese people who've successfully avoided loose skin by losing weight slowly?

FWIW, I've heard from actual plastic surgeons that this is a myth. Exercise, young age and good old genetics can help the appearance of the loose skin, but it'll still be there regardless of how quickly or slowly you lose the weight.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I think that a reputable plastic surgeon will want you to have been at a stable weight for quite a while before operating, since so many people gain the weight back. As that time passes, you will likely notice some improvement anyway.

I already have loose skin from pregnancy so I'm very likely to have a lot of loose skin after losing the weight. I will probably consider plastic surgery depending on the severity, but not until I'm done having babies, very stable in my weight and as healthy as possible - it is major surgery after all and carries considerable risk.
  • aboone211
    Options
    Understandable, you all have great points. I have lost the weight in a healthy manor as suggested. I've been at a stable weight for almost four years...And am still not noticing any differences. Although I have at least ten more to lose before my goal weight, it's been a slow process. Surgery is my last resort, I just didn't know since I am still fairly young if it'll ever bounce back, if not i'd like to fix it. As for the gaining it back, wont happen! I've worked way to hard to be where I am.