could someone help me with numbers pls?

Options
2»

Replies

• floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am with floop. The numbers are confusing. So now we can calculate the what do we do with them?

hello fellow confused person :smile:
    have you been logging everything in your diary? i'm really starting to get used to doing that and keeping a close eye on portion control.
  • floop1207
    Options
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

ETA: Not only will you find out how much you need to eat with this calculator, it will also tell you what kind of macros to eat. If you know your body fat % it's more accurate.

thank you :smile: looking at the macros, it looks like my diet is carbohydrate heavy with very little protein and fat. i'm vegetarian and don't eat much fatty food at all so i'll search out more protein rich foods and add more olives and artichokes to my diet.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

ETA: Not only will you find out how much you need to eat with this calculator, it will also tell you what kind of macros to eat. If you know your body fat % it's more accurate.

thank you :smile: looking at the macros, it looks like my diet is carbohydrate heavy with very little protein and fat. i'm vegetarian and don't eat much fatty food at all so i'll search out more protein rich foods and add more olives and artichokes to my diet.

With a vegetarian diet you have to really pay attention to get enough fats and protein. From what I understand nuts are a great way to up your fats as well.
  • floop1207
    Options
    have you heard of 'My Fitness Pal'? you put in all your stats and it gives you a calorie goal based on how much weight you want to lose... you should try it www.myfitnesspal.com....

i didn't realise that everyone should be following the '1200' calories per day fits all....maybe reading through the forums to gain as much info as i can and asking advice from others is not how this works?

MFP doesnt give everyone 1200 cals if you set it properly...

the people who DONT set it right and ask for 2lbs lost per week are the ones who get 1200 cals....

well, from reading through the posts, it would seem that quite a few newcomers to here are not setting MFP 'right' at first. addressing a weight issue is a step in the right direction - fancy getting confused by all the figures as soon as you join the site.....and daring to ask for advice from others who may not have forgotten that their own first few weeks were confusing.

You're doing the right thing, don't worry about it. It is more complicated than using the MFP calculator. You're already on the right track, you know what TDEE is and many people in the beginning do not understand that they can eat back their calories on the MFP plan and end up eating 1200 calories. Yikes!

I think the best thing to do is to get a device that calculates your TDEE better than any website can, such as a heart rate monitor, BodyMedia, FitBit, JawBone Up, something that will give you as close to "actual" numbers as you're going to get with current technology. Then use that to determine your TDEE - 15-20%, which will be an estimate for what you should be eating.

If you do not want one of those devices go by a website TDEE - 15-20% and set that as your daily caloric intake and go from there. Just be sure you are eating a few hundred calories over your BMR (you can calculate this online here at MFP or other websites).

Good luck, it's not easy at first but it will all fall into place.

thank you :smile: MFP says my bmr is 1533 which is around what i thought my daily amount should be whilst aiming to lose a bit each week from the other calculator i used?
  • brandyme
    brandyme Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    thank you :smile: MFP says my bmr is 1533 which is around what i thought my daily amount should be whilst aiming to lose a bit each week from the other calculator i used?

I would always eat a few hundred extra calories over BMR, so if you have a BMR of 1533 then I would suggest eating 1733 - 1833 or so, because BMR is your baseline caloric need. If you slept all day long then you would need 1533 calories but since you do not sleep all day long you will need to make up for the extra energy you put out, so a basic guideline fitness professionals gave me was 200 - 300 extra calories.

As an example, I am 5'3, when I was 190 pounds my BMR was 1,551, I wasn't as active then so I added 200 extra calories and ate around 1750 and lost quite a bit of weight. I am now 172. :)

Hope that helps.
  • beckywilliams1967
    beckywilliams1967 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump - loads of great info here thank you!!
  • floop1207
    Options
    Check out the following website, I use it for my BMR and TDEE.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html
    Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) quantifies the number of calories your body burns in its idle state. It is a stricter form of Resting Metabolic Rate, measuring calorie consumption in complete inactivity, about 12 hours after your last meal.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) quantifies the number of calories you burn in a day. This measure is best estimated by scaling your Basal Metabolic Rate to your level of activity. TDEE is critical in tailoring your nutrition plan to desired fitness goals.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/rmr-calculator.html
    Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) measures the number of calories your body requires to maintain itself at rest. These calories are expended on bodily functions such as breathing and heartbeat. Resting Metabolic Rate varies with age and body composition. A human body doesn't require any energy to store fat, but it does for muscle. That.s why most diets fail. Abrupt reduction in calorie intake leads to muscle and fat realignment. The dieter quickly loses weight, muscle and fat. When normal consumption is resumed the weight quickly rebounds because the body is now burning fewer calories to sustain itself.

Good luck.

thank you for the links :)

rmr = 1540
    bmr = 1557
    tdee = 1869

sooooo......any advice on the number i should aim for to reduce my weight? (bearing in mind i am sedentary as i have CFS/fibromyalgia)