Anyone else back at "what used to be normal"?

Options

Replies

• Shannonthompson73
    Shannonthompson73 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Oops.
  • Shannonthompson73
    Options
    I think my successful (albeit slow) loss has been due to the fact that I know I was capable of being 130-135 lbs for all my young adult life. Wasn't until I had babies that I gained weight (and lost it twice) but it's always been a journey back to "myself". I think if I had always been heavy, I would have had a tougher time mentally.
    Except for these last 5 lbs which refuse to budge, I am happy with this weight (139) and feel like maintaining good health for the rest of my life is the priority.

Well said! I read your profile, thank you for your inspiration!!!!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Buying decent clothes with a little more room in them was a big mistake in retrospect. It made the extra pounds look normal. I justified it because I "really wasn't fat - it was just the tight clothes from the bottom of the range making me look fat". If you are going to allow your weight to fluctuate, yo should have clothes that fit for the full range, right? Wrong! Well, at least for me. It opened the door to accepting extra weight as normal as long as I had clothes that fit. Unfortunately, clothes come in several sizes...

Yeah, never again.

When I hit goal - that's it. I'll go naked before I buy a bigger size.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm maintaining at the weight that was normal for me in high school... and I'll be 39 in two weeks. My current weight is 13-15 pounds less than what had been normal for most of my adult life, and almost 30 pounds less than my highest-ever weight (highest not pregnant, pregnant doesn't count!)

I'm now under the weight that I thought was my acceptable minimum, but I like how I look and feel at this weight, so I'm keeping it as my new normal.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Buying decent clothes with a little more room in them was a big mistake in retrospect. It made the extra pounds look normal. I justified it because I "really wasn't fat - it was just the tight clothes from the bottom of the range making me look fat". If you are going to allow your weight to fluctuate, yo should have clothes that fit for the full range, right? Wrong! Well, at least for me. It opened the door to accepting extra weight as normal as long as I had clothes that fit. Unfortunately, clothes come in several sizes...

Yeah, never again.

When I hit goal - that's it. I'll go naked before I buy a bigger size.
    I have been gun shy, but it has been a month. This weekend the big stuff gets donated. I have some new clothes with no room for expansion.
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't remember being this weight, exactly. I was in my first year of the Army (25 years old, 10 years ago) last time I was as light as my current weight of around 207 lbs. I was not this fit then, though.
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    For me, this is all brand new. I was always overweight as a kid, teenager and adult. I still have a little more to go, but it's certainly difficult to wrap my head around the new, nearly-normal sized me. I never knew what it was like to live life as a non-obese individual. It's a heck of a lot easier and I'm amazed at what I can do, physically, now that I never could have done before. It's really been eye opening.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I was never a "small" girl by any means but all through school and into my early 20's and then again in my early 30's I was at a "good weight" for me. Size 8/9 and I looked good...

Here I am 40 in the same size I was in high school and weight a lot more....:tongue:

am I back to normal????????

Nope better then normal because I couldn't giving a flying fudge about my weight now, I am comfortable in my skin and look great all at the same time and by the time I am done....I will be the best me I can be and to me that's what is great about doing this to be healthy and fit not just to loose weight.
  • TheGirlWhoWaitedToRun
    Options
    I was just a little over weight all through my school years and didn't really lose those extra 20-30 lbs until i was 20 or so. When I did , though, I felt like i was finally the person on the outside that i felt like on the inside.
    Last year i had my first child and i gained a whopping 70 pounds (something I am not proud of) which put me at 215. The first 20 pounds fell off but it has been an uphill battle trying to lose the rest. I was down to 172 but have since started at a second job and started school full time online....and gained back 10 pounds. I feel like a total stranger and I hate it. BUT the last two days have been my wake up call and I am ready to get back on the horse. Wish me luck.
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    Options
    When I left the Navy, and my 10k team, I was 167 lbs. That was 28 years ago. I got all the way up to 228 at one point and I was lethargic, hormones were totally screwed up and all I wanted to do was sleep. Once I got back into running I tossed about 15 lbs. Then I started watching what I ate and got down to about 197 lbs. I thought it was a good idea to stay under 200 lbs so I did for about 4 years. My running times plateued and I really wanted to see how much faster I could get. Now I am at 177 lbs with much quicker times on my runs. I have energy, all my blood work is awesome and I feel so much better. I am hoping this will be my normal to at least stay under 180. I know I am going to have to always watch what I am eating (except that one cheat day a week) so do my best to make sure this is just a permanent part of my life. I think in the long run it will be better for me and my friends and family.
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm in another category. I was never really overweight but was at the high end of my weight range. After having 2 kids I was overweight by about 17 pounds. Now I have lost 27 and am smaller than I ever remember being and still have a goal to lose more and tone. When I look in the mirror I see a thin person that I never remember seeing... But I still see someone who has a lot of work left to do. Sometimes I am pretty hard on myself...
  • snailrunner
    snailrunner Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I was around 110lbs at age 18 and hovered around 120-125lbs until I after I had my second child, aged 31. I have been fluctuating a lot more since then, reaching a high of 140lbs in Feb this year aged 44. Now at 45 I am 112lbs and maintaining it easily, having blown my original goal out of the water and lost 10lbs more than I expected to. Roll on the rest of my life! I've gone from a size 12 UK to a 6/8 UK and refilling my wardrobe has been quite expensive!
  • syk731
    syk731 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who gained a lot of weight during/after 2 pregnancies. I'm now finally back at my pre-pregnancy for my first child weight, which I haven't seen in almost 10 years.

At that time, I thought that weight was "normal" even though I was probably on the slender side then, but I had been thinner in the few years before that. Now, I feel wonderfully thin, given that I've spent the last 10 years at a much higher weight.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    ... my highest-ever weight (highest not pregnant, pregnant doesn't count!)...

Ha, I just realised I didn't even include my pregnant weight as my highest ever (182 lbs FWIW). Too right it doesn't count :laugh:
  • augiedad
    augiedad Posts: 19
    Options
    I have been overweight (obese) all my life. I probably weigh less now than I did in high school. My problem is when I look in the mirror I have no reference to how I look now; but my brain has moved away from what all the obese picture show. I have a hard time remembering what 350 was like. So I have a hard time relating to either. I know I recently put about 10 lbs back on and am now working hard to take them back off. At 60 years old it tough to say that I don't know myself. I will work with the guy in the mirror and I will run in fear of the one in the pictures.
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am back to where I was in college days, and it's fantastic, and I do "feel like myself" again. Loving it.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I never had a teenage or adult normal. Been fighting this ever since I stopped being an active kid and started being a sedentary teenager, decades and decades ago. But I do have a weight range where i can look in the mirror and not go, "Who is that?" And I'm at it right now. The trick is not letting the fat lady back out ever again.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I think you may be right. I was always fit all through my 20's and 30's. I was in the Navy until 42 so I had to stay somewhat lean to fit into the cockpit. But the pounds piled on in my 40's after I stopped flying and really piled on when I retired from the Navy. Now I'm back to the same weight I was when I graduated from the Naval Academy and it likes being here. I am actually trying to cut lower than that "ideal" weight and my body is fighting me all the way. It likes being at 185 lbs.

One thing I did find interesting was the body image I had of myself from back then. I remember myself being quite fit when I graduated from college. Found an old pic and was surprised to see that while I was built well, I am leaner now than I was then.

Tom1988.jpg

20130816frontshot.jpg
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'm about down to what I was in my first year in college, probably about 5 lbs off what I was in high school, but I'm positive my body fat percentage is WAY lower now than it was before. I can pretty much say I'm in the best shape of my life, which is a nice thing to say at 32 :)

It's funny, I don't feel as though I wasn't "me" when I was heavier (I've lost about 25-30 lbs), but I sure as hell am a lot more comfortable. I don't think I could ever go back. I still keep a pair of jeans when I was at my heavier weight as a reminder and I also have a dress I bought for my 30th birthday when I was at my lowest (post-high school) weight. As long as I don't feel those jeans fitting me, I'm pretty happy.
  • Shannonthompson73
    Options
    Wow! You look great, even better with a few grown up years on you! Congratulations!!!!