non-money rewards?

Options
kirkor
kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
I was reading the non-food rewards thread (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/304895-ideas-for-non-food-rewards-for-losing-weight) and it reminded me that my friend and I have tried to think of rewards that didn't involve spending money, and we came up quite short.
With a partner you could make deals beforehand for getting a massage as a reward ... or with housemates, a reward could be reprieve from chores.
Then we thought maybe something time-based? Like spending time reading a book you've been meaning to...it'd be a reward because you'd carve out special time...but that could be double-edged if you feel guilty about not taking the time elsewhere, so then it wouldn't really be a reward. :(

Any ideas?

Replies

• Erithil
    Erithil Posts: 52
    Options
    You could spend a day at your favorite place, like a park or a beach or a mountian depending on where you live and what you like.

You could plan a day with a good friend or two, just hanging out and doing what you like.

Depending on how much weight you want to lose, if it is a lot you could host a yard sale at your goal for the clothes that are too big for you.

If your goal includes or centers on fitness, you could run a marathon or comple some local competition/challange. I know that some of those require an entrance fee, but maybe not all of them... =P
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Posting selfies?
  • kirkor
    Options
    Any other ideas?
  • bob_day
    bob_day Posts: 87
    Options
    Looking at the scale and seeing it trend downwards.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    One of my "when I reach X weight" goals is to start dating. And it's not the dinners and long walks on the beach that I'm looking forward to. :blushing:

I guess if you're already partnered (and your partner is willing to be a part of your reward) it could be a certain favorite something that doesn't happen as much as you'd like.
  • curly1986
    curly1986 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You could take a walk somewhere nice. A long one that you maybe never would have managed before. Or go to the beach in the evening and just sit and listen to the waves as the sun sets. Have a big clear out of shoes and clothes and even underwear, and get rid of all the stuff too big or too frumpy. I always think a clear out is very cleansing for the mind, as well as your home obviously.

^^^ And what she said up there... Enjoy some skinny sex!! :laugh:
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    When I reach a goal, I like to do something nice for myself. If I have the money, I may buy new weights, new DVD, work out clothes, whatever.

When I don't have the money, I give myself a pedicure, a manicure, a facial. Anything I can do at home that will help me boost my morale and help me continue to feel good about myself.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    My reward is buying smaller clothes when needed.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    If I can do something nice non monetary matter to myself, I always do it and not waiting for any results.
  • kirkor
    Options
    one more bump just since this forum moves fast :)
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I like to just try on the smaller clothes; I may buy one pair of pants, but just seeing myself fit into many pairs of a smaller size is so worth it. I did take a Rue21 coupon in recently and got a new bra, just so I could say I could fit into one of those once-ridiculously sized Rue bras.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Agree with the ideas for day trips to parks, mountains for hiking, etc. Yeah, you're possibly spending money on transportation, but it's probably less than a pair of shoes or a massage.

Maybe cooking something you don't normally eat but making sure it still fits in your calorie budget. Possibly not buy something for a week (say the daily latte) and put that money towards the better quality or specialty seafood.

Volunteer your time with Habitat for Humanity, Special Olympics, an animal rescue group, or a charity event. I think with something like Tough Mudder, if you volunteer on Saturday you get to run Sunday for free (or nearly free I don't remember...).

Towards Christmas go window shopping and find that outfit, shoes, tech stuff, kitchen wares, etc. you really love and put them on your Christmas list. Also can be done for birthday and anniversary. (i.e. let someone else spend that money on you...)

It's spending money but in a different way: do a money for work challenge. Something like for every squat you do, a penny goes into a jar. If you're working on push-up form, for every modified (on the knees) push-up it's a penny but regular (on the toes) it's a nickle. If you're doing a monthly exercise challenge (like the squat challenge), every day you complete, you add fifty cents or a dollar. Use smaller monetary amounts that won't impact the wallet much but will add up over time so you have the money to buy something. Even if it's $10 at the end of the month, that's a bottle or two of nail polish or a new tube of lipstick.
  • EliDC
    EliDC Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love buying new clothes when I reach a mini-goal, but money is really tight right now. So I went through my closet and pulled out all the clothes that are still too small for me. I separated them into piles based on their size, and then wrapped up each pile as a present.

Now when I reach a mini goal I get to unwrap a present of clothes! Making a big deal of unwrapping the "new" clothes is fun, and I get the satisfaction of adding clothes to my closet. Plus it's free!