first day here

Options
Hello All
My name is John and I have been trying to lose weight for the last 3 or so months and have lost 40 pounds. But to tell you the truth, I am battling right now. I have a good day and a bad day, and I am nowhere near the weight I want to be.
I started off at 318 and today I weight 278, which I am very proud of , but would love to lose another 30 to 40 pounds. I have been slipping lately and looking for some motivation,
One of the main reasons I started trying to lose weight this time was because one of my best friends had a heart attack, and this friend was actually in very good shape. He is fine now, but it was a huge wake up call. I was introduced to this site yesterday by a friend who has gone from 440 to 330, and he has remotivated me to do right.
I have kids 20 and 17 and would like to stick around for awhile. I have two jobs, working full time at a mental health facility and also as a part time sports writer for a newspaper (yes I am pseudo famous )
I need friends here to keep me motivated , and to just say, John you are doing so well, or get your lazy asss going lol. I would love to do the same. Right now I feel like I am alone in the struggle.
Thanks for listening.
Ur friedn already
John

Replies

• kcerdman
    Options
    You are not alone, John!! I am also trying to lose weight & have my daughter who is also losing weight. We both use this website every day. You need a buddy to do this with, it really helps a lot!! I hope you have a blessed day & stick to it!! You can do it if I can do it!!! I have been on my diet for 5 weeks & have lost 22 lbs. I am really happy with this site!! Remember, it is a numbers game. I don't always, hardly ever, stick exactly to the guidelines. I am doing ok, I am not starving myself & am eating healthy!! Years ago it always felt like the diet programs made me feel like I was going to starve!! That's why I like this, because you eat what you like, just watch your numbers!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! :-)
  • army_caroline
    Options
    Hi, I'm caroline. I have joined my fitness pal in in the hope of it helping to support me through my fitness journey over the next few months. I am in the process of joining the british army to become a nurse and need to get my fitness right up in top condition. I have been a constant yo yo dieter through my young twenties and teen years and now hoping my career choice and new active and healthy lifestyle will be the end of it!

I know I can do it, have 100% confidence when i get packed off to army training I will be at the level I should be, with a lot of hard work and dedication over the next few months..... but don't want to be in the process alone and would love some encouragement and to be pushed along the way, as im sure I'll be getting a lot of been pushed in the army!!!! Aswell as following and encouraging other people in a similar weight loss journey :)

If anyone knows anyone who has done military training would also love you/them to reach out :)

Thanks for listening!! :D x

Caroline
  • yoolka05
    yoolka05 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi, My name is Julia, this is my first day here.
    I recently moved to a new country (Norway), don't have a job here yet and I am quite lonely.
    Not sure if this is the best time to start battling my weight, but maybe as good as any.
    I also hate, hate hate exercise, so I am hoping to change that attitude.

Good luck to you, Caroline! I think joining the army to be a nurse is an amazing thing to do!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Heeheehee...Hi all! My name is Holly and I've decided to get SERIOUS! :-D Well, about weight loss & healthier eating, anyway!

Julia... I hate exercize too, but I'm forcing myself. I'm sorry that you're feeling lonely, but you aren't alone in trying to lose weight! I am trying also. Maybe it's a good time to try to lose weight, as you're going to be busy and occupied with new things.
    I'm going on a girl's vacation in mid-October. I'm hoping to be more comfy in my summer clothes and start being serious about eating healthier and trying to (UGH!) exercize.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hello new people. I can tell you that this board is one of the best communities i have had the pleasure of coming across, full of a lot of helpful, funny and caring people. Just remember starting is the first step to success. You don't want to end up making goals you can't live up to. The idea is to follow the calories MFP has set and stick to that limit. Remember your body needs fuel to run well. Over eating is really our only bad habit. You can still have a lot of the foods you love just going to have to track them and for the love of god before getting into things too deep you really will need a food scale. Pain in the butt i know but if you want to succeed you have to know whats going into your body. Remember the idea of this system is to eat at a deficit. 3500 calories is about 1lb of bodyfat. Despite what the scales say 3500 calories is the only way you are going to gain 1 lb of fat. Eating at a deficit will allow your body to slowly lose 3500 calories over a period of time, removing pound after pound. Wish you all the luck and dont be a stranger
    :heart:
  • sharontaubert
    sharontaubert Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi James,
    I remember when I first started this awesome app and I have found it helpful. But more importantly, I want to talk to others that have had problems with their weight going up and down as I have.
    After trying to lose weight for 15 years, it has come down to writing down everything you eat and drink and this is where this app or website helps out completely.

Cut the alcohol, like cut it out completely and if anything, have one drink on the weekend, save it for the game or the fav TV show, make sure it's light weight like Bud Light etc....
    I have lost 20 lbs since July 1st but now I'm at a plato. I want to lose 30 more. But most importantly, I just want to get healthy like you.
    You can do it. I can do it and everyone else on here that takes the time can do this weight loss thing.

Take one day at a time and just one 1/2 day at a time.

Keep posting so we can find out how you are doing.

ST
  • sharontaubert
    sharontaubert Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry, it's John.

ST
  • CanadaLiz
    CanadaLiz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Welcome! And thanks for sharing your story! Sounds like you are doing well and just need that little extra kick of motivation!! You will find some great resources here!
  • CoachChrisD
    CoachChrisD Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    hey John and everybody else. my name is Chris, and I have been using myfitnesspal now since July of last year. It has been a big help to me in my weight loss program. I used p90x and my fitness pal, i was able to lose 30lbs from July 2012 to October 2012. Jan 2013-March 2013 did another beach body product Les Miles Combat which, which is a mixed martial Arts program, and used myfitnesspal as well on this journey. Lost another 30lbs, total 61+ down.... Now started Focus T25 by Shaun T and looking for losing more....
    If you want accountability, support and motivation just send me an invite.
    Coach Chris
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Hi new people!

Beware of all the people that try to sell you junk!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    wow! what a friendly bunch! thanks for the advice!

i'm looking forward to reading more about everyone!
  • Beachtreasures
    Beachtreasures Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi John,
    Never give up. Remember why you started and how far you have come. We are all in this together and will support you. I have had my ups and downs and am now back on track! Feel free to add me and we can all work together to support each other! The best is yet to come!
    Beach