Substitutions

Options
I loooove love to bake and cook, from scratch. It's my definite down fall. There is something almost always in my oven. I need some low-cal and fat free options for baking/cooking. I know all about applesauce for oil, not a fan of it, it leaves my baked goods sticky so I've actually been using pureed bananas instead...or pumpkin/squash so on. I've also been replacing some noodles with zucchini but zucchini season is sadly ending. I also bake up sweet potato fries instead of regular fries...well I try to use veggies in EVERYTHING...any who...

any hints???

Replies

• leslieheb
    leslieheb Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I found a cook book that is called cook yourself thin. It has everything from main course meals to deserts, muffins, cake ect. It takes spices and other ingredients to replace the things that have lots of calories.
  • tessb84
    tessb84 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    2 egg whites equal an egg for a recipe, you could substitute 1/2 cup low fat yogurt for each cup of oil,butter or margarine.
  • tessb84
    Options
    :smile:
  • donnak7
    donnak7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have found that skim evaporated milk is a great subsitute for whole milk in lots of things.... Mac & Cheese, Homemade mashed potatoes. Makes everything SUPER creamy without the fat of cream, half - n - half, or whole milk.
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    Options
    I make just about everything from scratch too and I LOVE to bake. Unfortunately, I've always had a bit of a sweet tooth, so I've been trying not to bake so many goodies lately. Although, today I've been trying to decide what recipes I want to make for the holidays this year! I LOVE all the holiday baking & I always try new recipes & I always give a lot of baked goods for gifts. How will I survive???

I'm not a fan of applesauce instead of oil either, it seems to make everything to spongy and sticky. I keep thinking I'm going to try again, only substituting about 1/4 of the required oil & see how that turns out.

I always use plain fat free yogurt instead of sour cream and skim milk in place of other milks. Sometimes, if a recipe calls for heavy cream, I'll use 1/2 yogurt and 1/2 skim and I've never seen any weird results from this.

I've also found that in most recipes, I can cut the sugar or sweetener in half and it tastes better to me. I LOVE sweets, but a lot of recipes taste even better to me with less sugar. I first noticed this by accident - realizing after I'd baked some cookies that I only put in 1/2 the sugar & everyone LOVED them!

I also use almost all whole wheat flour. Depending on how delicate the item should be, I'll put at the very least 1/2 whole wheat flour and it goes up from there. I find that with less sugar that I mentioned above, I can taste a little more of the whole wheat flour and I really like that!

Do your sweet potato fries come out crispy? I've tried a lot of different things and I cannot get mine crispy baking them in the oven. Sometimes the edges will burn, but other than that part, they are still not crispy! Do you have any secrets to share?

As for using pumpkin in place of oil, do you use the same amount of pumpkin as the listed oil? I haven't tried that. I love all my pumpkin breads and cookies, but I haven't used it in any other baking recipes, I'll definitely have to try that!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    if you soak them in ice cold water first, then pat them dry before baking, they crisp up nicely :flowerforyou:
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    bump
  • staceyn1
    Options
    i slice my sweet potatoes then put them in a bowl of water in the microwave for about 5 min...they never turn out soggy if i do this before baking:)
  • Melora
    Melora Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tessb84
    Options
    Ok what does BUMP mean?
  • dustbunnie
    Options
    Yeah I don't like the spongy sticky mess applesauce creates. I only use skim milk...I refuse to buy anything else lol. And I will half my flours(half whole wheat/half all-purpose...I find all whole what never works the way I want it to)

And I rinse and clean my sweet potatoes let em air dry for a bit...400 degrees and just watch em for a bit. Be careful how thin you cut the fries...thickness can make or break them!
    I used pumpkin in biscotti yesterday...an equal amount to the oil...it made them a little more tender(which DH enjoyed)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Ok what does BUMP mean?
    If you see a topic you like and want to come back to it later you can 'bump' it and it'll move it over to 'my topics' so you can check it out again later :flowerforyou:
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I found a cook book that is called cook yourself thin. It has everything from main course meals to deserts, muffins, cake ect. It takes spices and other ingredients to replace the things that have lots of calories.

I own this cookbook and love it!
  • tessb84
    Options
    Thanks Becca :flowerforyou:
  • DottieTillman
    Options
    Have you used the yogurt in baking instead of butter or oil.......How is the texture?
  • debbiepringle
    debbiepringle Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bump