Hikers, nature lovers, and outdoor enthusiasts?

Options
Hey everyone,
I just am looking for a good group of people who are really into hiking, kayaking, canoeing, biking, and anything out of doors or just love nature in general. I'm an avid hiker with my dog and am also a fisheries and wildlife management major at Northern Michigan University along Lake Superior. I'm trying to bring out the "hippy" in me by trying to get back to the earth and really embrace local farms, organic farming, etc. Just looking to see if there are like minded individuals who really love nature and getting outside. =]

Replies

• TexanDad1979
    Options
    Ive always loved being outdoors, fishing, bike riding, running, etc... I would much rather run in the middle of summer than indoors on a treadmill.
  • ikrissyt
    ikrissyt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I have just started to get into canoeing and kayaking. He has a canoe and just bought a kayak recently. We love to bike and hike. We both have dogs - he has a yellow lab and I have a boston terrier. We also just had a baby 2 months ago and he already loves to be outside. We really are trying to use the outdoors to our advantage to get healthy, get in shape and explore the world around us.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I love to climb, hike, bike, swim run and frollick. But I ain't no hippy.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I play outside all the time (mountain biking, caving, scuba diving, etc)... but it's not to get back to nature or something like that. It's just fun. Eff nature :laugh:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Me, me!!! I hike whenever I have a chance. My profile photo is from hiking in the Presidentials (NH) a couple weeks ago. My husband and I love to camp, backpack, hike, bike, etc. Nothing is better than enjoying the outdoors!
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I are going camping/hiking in Jasper this weekend. Gonna be awesome. I love to do my workouts outside. Going for runs in the park is awesome. Lately there's always at least one hawk watching me and giving me the ol' stinkeye. Lol.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    Heyyy there... I hike every weekend with my puppy and then usually kayak the following day (upper body then lower body :drinker:)
    43359607_8659.jpg
    North Moat Mountain in New hampshire from this past weekend^
    I can't swim because of medical devices but i do everything else!
  • newmanel
    newmanel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Meeee. I love canoeing, kayaking, and hiking. But mainly I'm a big nature nerd. I'm a birder so I spend a lot of time in the woods, and I've spent the summer skulking around the edges of meadows trying to ID all of my state's wildflowers.
  • MT30_backbone
    Options
    Me, me!!! I hike whenever I have a chance. My profile photo is from hiking in the Presidentials (NH) a couple weeks ago. My husband and I love to camp, backpack, hike, bike, etc. Nothing is better than enjoying the outdoors!

It was that cold up there that you needed a winter jacket? I live in Maine and haven't had the pleasure of hiking as much as I would like to but I love it! Have you done Mt. Major? So beautiful! I also love kayaking, swimming, paddle boating and camping as well. :) I'd really like to try paddle boarding!

Edit: I just realized it is probably a windbreaker? My bad! And I suppose it could've been read as snarky, not my intention at all! :)
  • healthy4life4mykids
    Options
    Right here! I love Fishing, Camping, Hiking and walkin the dog! Add request sent :)
  • EllenPerrin
    EllenPerrin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a walker - in fact I'm in training for the Thames Path Challenge on 14th September, a 50k walk in aid of Help For Heroes. I've just got home after 17 miles around hoe & outlying villages in the Chilterns - beautiful countryside and a glorious day for it :smile:
    I wouldn't say I'm a hippie as such, but I am a bit of a green freak :wink:
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    <--- biker, hiker, swimmer, wanna-be kayaker, dog walker, wanderer...
    Most of my workouts lately are long hikes or really long bike rides. I just spent a week in northern Michigan doing most of the above and loved every last minute of it!
  • secondnature81
    secondnature81 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hiker! I love to hike. I've never been camping, but would absolutely love to soon. It's what I love about getting in better shape: I can do this type of stuff more and not feel like I'm going to die.
  • kill3rtofu
    kill3rtofu Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    hell ya! and i love your dog!
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I bike, swim, hike (ID of plants at the same time), canoe, but not looking to hippie-up.... went to school and did some con & rec classes also some adventure/tourism stuff. Love the outdoors.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

It was that cold up there that you needed a winter jacket? I live in Maine and haven't had the pleasure of hiking as much as I would like to but I love it! Have you done Mt. Major? So beautiful! I also love kayaking, swimming, paddle boating and camping as well. :) I'd really like to try paddle boarding!

Edit: I just realized it is probably a windbreaker? My bad! And I suppose it could've been read as snarky, not my intention at all! :)

It's just a windproof/waterproof shell. But... for the record, on Franconia Ridge (where that photo was taken), it was 44 degrees with 50-70 mph winds. So a jacket, hat and gloves were not out of the question! When we hiked Mt. Washington a few days later, it was even colder and I did have to wear gloves!

I didn't think you were snarky! Lots of people are shocked to see cold weather clothing in the middle of summer. But hey - it sleets and snows all 12 months of the year in the Presidentials. You never know what kind of weather you're going to get.

I haven't hiked Mt. Major yet. But I have done tons of hiking along coastal Maine.

I even have a hiking blog! http://virginiatrailguide.com

:smile:
  • IZackV13
    IZackV13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I love hiking, camping, backcountry exploration, etc. I also am an avid bass fisherman and deer hunter. Some see this as a contradiction in "loving nature"...I see it as being a conservationist vs. environmentalist! I want to preserve the outdoors so I and my future generations can use it to the fullest! :)
  • igypsy
    igypsy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Like Einstein said... "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better" . Maybe Einstein was just a bit of a hippy? :wink:

I'm happiest outdoors and in nature, whether it be hiking, walking, running, cycling, horse riding, would love to get into kayaking again... basically I love any activity that let's me enjoy the great outdoors.

Any fellow nature freaks please feel free to add :)

ETA: spelling
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    A few months ago I completed a Certificate III in eco-tourism guiding and have been bushwalking (hiking) and camping in Tasmania.
    kind regards,

Ben