Brand new, petrified and inspired!

Options
Hello!

After many, MANY failed attempts to lose weight, I think this might be the eye-opening, bad-habit-changing boot in the right direction I need. After voicing frustration with other commercial weight loss plans, my doctor suggested giving this a try before shelling out for a nutritionist. So, I logged in, set my stats and goals.... and was devastated when I realized my regular eating habits had plowed through my daily caloric allotment before lunch the first day. But I regrouped, researched and planned and I'm doing very well with staying right at my calorie goal.

While it is scary thinking "sure I did it it today.... but can I do it the rest of my life?" it's also inspiring to know "hey! I did it today!". My mantra right now, when those peanut M&Ms are staring me in the face, is "what about just today? Can you do it just today?" I know that enough today's will turn into better habits for a lifetime.

It's good to know there is a community here with me. Same goals, same challenges, looking for the same successes. So again - hello. Nice to be here. :smile:

Replies

• babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Welcome to MFP!!

:smile:

This site has been a great help to me and my goals; wishing you much success.

8488541.png
  • DaveS_63
    DaveS_63 Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi! your doctor steered you in the right direction. you have experienced the same reality as most of us here. Now you know. The next step is mourning, followed by acceptance. OK, but really this site will definitely help you manage and change your eating habits. The best part about this site is the terrific support from the friend you make.

Please feel free to add me as a friend. You can never have too many friends. Support and encouragement are key.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    Good for you!
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it!

Just do it one day at a time. Every day. Learn what you can and can't have or if you have it, what that means you'll have to sacrifice later.

For me it helped to think of it like this:

You chose to be this way through the choices you made every day, all you have to do is choose different to get to where you want to go (and later you'll find out you're not choosing bad/hard/etc, you're choosing better).

All you have to do is get up tomorrow and make the right choice.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My doctor sent me to MFP last spring. And it's pretty wonderful. Knowledge is power. You now have the power to thoughtfully eat and move. For food, choose wisely, weight it, enjoy it, and if you want something calorie dense, plan for it. Never let a slip become a pit, pick yourself back up and keep moving. For exercise, pick something you can do regularly and just do a little more each day. Keep challenging yourself. And good luck. You can do this. It's how you're meant to live!
  • PinkyLilac
    PinkyLilac Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This app has saved my life.I started 9weeks ago and haven't looked back.I take things day at a time and always plan my meals in advance.Feel free to add me and nose at my diary xxx
  • Beachtreasures
    Beachtreasures Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hello, We are all in this together and have to remember, one day at a time! Best of luck on your healthy journey.
  • haleynhoffman150
    Options
    Hi good luck with this! I am also new.. and am looking for friends! Everyone.. add me!
  • ikrissyt
    ikrissyt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Great advice! It's definitely all about the choices your make daily.
  • LizzieLouAnne
    LizzieLouAnne Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Its soooo easy this way....you will be great.
  • karenhughes2013
    karenhughes2013 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just joined last week, hi everyone, great to have the supporr of everyone on here and as others have said its great to encourage andhelp each other along the way, feel free to add me everyone, with 59 lbs to go I need all the support I can get!! :-)
  • LizDHarris
    LizDHarris Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You've made the first step - take each day at a time, and if you have a bad day (and you will) don't worry. Each day you start with a clean slate. I've been around my goal weight for nearly 2 years & I still try to log everything - even when I know I'll be over on calories.

Feel free to add me as a friend
  • Terlaney
    Options
    Hi,

I have just joined this site to help me work towards my wirhgt loss goals. I have tried a few different calorie tracker group forums but haven't seemed to find one that fits.

So here goes another try! I just recently re-started eating well and exercising, I did a fad diet last year and lost 30lbs and managed to keep most of it off only gaining 10 back since I stopped last summer. This time I am taking a different approach by ditching the fad diets which I know won't last in the long term because one needs to change their lifestyle in order to achieve their goals on a permanent basis. Atleast thats what I believe. So I am now monitoring my food intake and making sure to only eat foods that benefit me in the short and long term, I still need to modify it a bit but in a few weeks I will have portions and needs down pat I think.

Anyways, none of my social circle is really on the same mission as I am at this point in my life, so I am looking for some friends on here!! So please add me/whatever it is, I would appreciate the support! After all, its easier to surge forward with allies then to go it alone right?

Thanks!

Sincerely,
    Terell
  • carblover79
    Options
    Hello! I am on day 10 and the information and people here have helped me already! Stick with your plan and you will see results.

Anyone can feel free to add me as a friend, I need as much help as I can get on this adventure!
  • ReneeAusten
    Options
    Good for you, Skillz!! You're on your way. We're all cheering for you!
  • mspiggy1178
    mspiggy1178 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a newbie as well (day 3). Feel free to add me as a friend...I don't have any yet :).
  • eh_its_sarah
    eh_its_sarah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Take every day as it comes :) Don't worry about if you will keep it up for a lifetime, it can be overwhelming :P I just started basically too. Good luck to us both! :)
  • Imcharmed
    Imcharmed Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. This is a great site and the support you get is amazing. Anything your not sure of, just ask, someone will know the answer. Feel free to add me, im just about to finish week 4. Good luck.
  • _TimeForMe
    _TimeForMe Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!!!