How much water do I need?

Options
I found a really cool app called 'WaterMinder' for iOS today and wanted to share. Instead of following the 8 glasses of 8oz water per day gospel -- it takes your weight into account and tells you how much you need based on how much you weigh. By this it says 1/2 oz water per pound of body weight (I'm 241 pounds, it says I should have at least 121oz. Then you track your water there throughout the day and it shows your body filling up with water and how much water you've had and how much more you need.

Just wanted to share because I had not heard about it before and I am definitely going to use it. You can even use custom cup sizes instead of doing the math on how many 8oz glasses you've had.

And for those challenged with getting their water in -- you can set reminders that remind you to drink water.

Best of all... FREE app!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You need enough water for your urine to be pale yellow. There is no set amount you need and no reason to drink excessive amounts based on an app or the old myth of 8 glasses a day. Water has no magical properties for weight loss and drinking too much can actually be detrimental to your health as it depletes your body of vitamins and minerals that you need.
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You need enough water for your urine to be pale yellow. There is no set amount you need and no reason to drink excessive amounts based on an app or the old myth of 8 glasses a day. Water has no magical properties for weight loss and drinking too much can actually be detrimental to your health as it depletes your body of vitamins and minerals that you need.
    I was just trying to be nice. But thanks for ripping me to shreds. You're not worth arguing with. I thought it was a neat app for people who are trying to drink more water because it's pretty well understood that people do not drink enough water. I've read outside of an app about how much water my body needs - I don't think water has magical weight loss properties, but thanks for that comment.

But. As with most things -- negative, negative, negative.

Sigh. I give up.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I was just trying to be nice. But thanks for ripping me to shreds. You're not worth arguing with. I thought it was a neat app for people who are trying to drink more water because it's pretty well understood that people do not drink enough water. I've read outside of an app about how much water my body needs - I don't think water has magical weight loss properties, but thanks for that comment.

Sigh. I give up.

How do you read that response a ripping into you? While the idea of the app is cool, it by no means is perfect. Monkey simply posted a correct response.

Essentially, the app just looks like it takes your weight and divides in half, which isn't necessary to be hydrated.
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    it would be quite hard to monitor your drinking to the color every day......because that changes....I think a happy medium would be sufficient, however, water is never bad.......
  • cowgirlupkelly
    Options

/\this

While 6-8 8oz glasses a day is average you have to remember that nearlly all foods and drinks have water in them.

The 1/2 your weight in ounces was a guide put out by a bottled water company many years ago.
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think that is a nifty app. If anything, helpful reminders are nice for people who don't drink enough water. Thanks hannamarie. I got your back! :wink:
  • cowgirlupkelly
    Options

Sigh. I give up.

I see nothing negative in what was posted. It was spot on with research. I don' t mean to discount your feelings about the post but I think you might want to read it without reading into it what isn't there.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I always shoot for near clean urine by afternoon. Once you get used to it, it's almost second nature on how much you drink. Also depending on my activity level on how much I drink.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    it would be quite hard to monitor your drinking to the color every day......because that changes....I think a happy medium would be sufficient, however, water is never bad.......

Trainers in college always said by afternoon it should be near clear.
  • hannamarie88
    Options

Sigh. I give up.

I see nothing negative in what was posted. It was spot on with research. I don' t mean to discount your feelings about the post but I think you might want to read it without reading into it what isn't there.
    I'm probably too sensitive for the forums. I'll admit that. I do not take any kind of criticism well. And anything negative/disagreeing feels like an attack.

I based my argument on this article I read a few months ago:

"How Much Water Do You Need?

How can you know if you’re getting enough water to keep your metabolism cranking at peak efficiency and your digestive system functioning? The formula used to be “one size fits all” -- eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. But that’s changed, experts say.

“It depends on your size and weight, and also on your activity level and where you live,” Nessler says. “In general, you should try to drink between half an ounce and an ounce of water for each pound you weigh, every day.” For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, that would be 75 to 150 ounces of water a day. If you’re living in a hot climate and exercising a lot, you’d be on the higher end of that range; if you’re in a cooler climate and mostly sedentary, you’d need less.

Another quick way to check: look in the bowl after you’ve gone to the bathroom. If your urine is clear or very light yellow and has little odor, you’re well hydrated. The darker and more aromatic your urine, the more dehydrated you are. [http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/water-for-weight-loss-diet]"

I realize I'm not a doctor and neither is the internet, but I aim for 12-15 8oz. glasses a day and monitor my pee too...

Just wanted to share an app for people that struggle with it. I track my water on MFP already, but it's nice to have an app that lets you program in cup size.
  • kelseymaccombs
    kelseymaccombs Posts: 61 Member
    Options

I'm probably too sensitive for the forums. I'll admit that. I do not take any kind of criticism well. And anything negative/disagreeing feels like an attack.

I based my argument on this article I read a few months ago:

"How Much Water Do You Need?

How can you know if you’re getting enough water to keep your metabolism cranking at peak efficiency and your digestive system functioning? The formula used to be “one size fits all” -- eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. But that’s changed, experts say.

“It depends on your size and weight, and also on your activity level and where you live,” Nessler says. “In general, you should try to drink between half an ounce and an ounce of water for each pound you weigh, every day.” For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, that would be 75 to 150 ounces of water a day. If you’re living in a hot climate and exercising a lot, you’d be on the higher end of that range; if you’re in a cooler climate and mostly sedentary, you’d need less.

Another quick way to check: look in the bowl after you’ve gone to the bathroom. If your urine is clear or very light yellow and has little odor, you’re well hydrated. The darker and more aromatic your urine, the more dehydrated you are. [http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/water-for-weight-loss-diet]"

I realize I'm not a doctor and neither is the internet, but I aim for 12-15 8oz. glasses a day and monitor my pee too...

Just wanted to share an app for people that struggle with it. I track my water on MFP already, but it's nice to have an app that lets you program in cup size.

This.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Actually, the urine color probably is the best gauge of hydration because it is specifically personalized to you, the actual person drinking and peeing.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

Not trying to be rude here, MFP forums are going to be BRUTAL if you can't take criticism or disagreement. You are dealing with cranky hungry people on diets!
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Very cool app! My doctor has me drinking 8 16oz glasses of water a day so I need a little reminder throughout the day. I try to drink the majority of it before 6pm or then I end up waking up in the middle of the night to pee.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Not trying to be rude here, MFP forums are going to be BRUTAL if you can't take criticism or disagreement. You are dealing with cranky hungry people on diets!

Good advice. I wasn't trying to be brutal but honest. A lot of members on this board correlate disagreement/criticism with attacks. Keep in mind, if we didn't disagree, then a lot of misinformation would be on this board and many of the knowledgeable members work to disprove that and provide information to why it's wrong.

I don't believe monkey or myself was suggesting it's a bad tool, it's just not a requirement. If it helps you, more power to you.
  • hannamarie88
    Options

Good advice. I wasn't trying to be brutal but honest. A lot of members on this board correlate disagreement/criticism with attacks. Keep in mind, if we didn't disagree, then a lot of misinformation would be on this board and many of the knowledgeable members work to disprove that and provide information to why it's wrong.

I don't believe monkey or myself was suggesting it's a bad tool, it's just not a requirement. If it helps you, more power to you.
    Thank you. I think we see it as an attack because it is against our opinion and we are all very opinionated people and it's true about the misinformation thing. I really need to work on taking things less seriously and thinking they are attacks.
  • hannamarie88
    Options
    Very cool app! My doctor has me drinking 8 16oz glasses of water a day so I need a little reminder throughout the day. I try to drink the majority of it before 6pm or then I end up waking up in the middle of the night to pee.
    Goodness that's a lot of water! Eep! I like the "glass" setting on the app since I fill a water bottle multiple times a day at work and MFP does not have a "half glass" choice.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with the app, but like others have pointed out, I think it is still missing the point a little.

What would be useful is if every food or drink item we logged had an approximation for the amount of water included. Plain water is only one of many sources of water in our diet. This might be hard to estimate, but it would be closer than being based on just how many glasses of water you've had.

Or it could still be missing the point as the best gauges might be your thirst and urine color.
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Depends on activity level for me. I used to drink about 4-6 cups of water a day but now, since I am working out everyday, I drink 8-10 cups of water. Since I am an athlete, my coach has told me to drink half of my body weight in oz. which is 9 cups of water as well for maximum energy. The app could definitely help for people who can't really keep up with water intake but I have a big 32 oz (about 1000 ml) water bottle and if I drink it twice a day, then I'm golden. The only problem is that I drink a lot of my water at night because that's when I work out and I'm constantly having to use the bathroom before I sleep or when I go to sleep.

I agree with whoever said that your urine should be pale yellow. If it's like that, then you're drinking enough water. I also drink one or two cups of water when I wake up because your body gets dehydrated from sleeping.