Good read on fad diets/quick plans

Options

Replies

• jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    He lost me at "say goodbye to the cookie jar at work". Sorry, but moderation is the only way I can survive this ride, and if I want a damn cookie and it fits in my calories, I'm eating it
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    This WAS a good read. I openly confess to #5 being the reason I got to where I am today: fatter than I've ever been. My eating disorder(ED-NOS, specifically. Got sucked into the binge/starve cycle) and my stress eating got me to where I am today. Not proud of it, and I really want to fix it the right way this time.
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    He lost me at "say goodbye to the cookie jar at work". Sorry, but moderation is the only way I can survive this ride, and if I want a damn cookie and it fits in my calories, I'm eating it

I think you're actually agreeing with him - he's saying that people often find fad diets impossible because completely cutting out everything that's not 100% 'healthy' (such as the odd cookie at work) is unrealistic.
  • Juanwi
    Juanwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree. I think that is what is being said. Fad diets don't work because they are too restricting. I'm also one for being the sugar addict. It is really hard to stay at a decent level on sugar!
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why he mocks Jillian Michaels. I mean there are hundreds of success-stories about it, many of them here on MFP. I mean surely some might be PR, but not all of them. I guess it depends whether people actually expect to look like JM after 30 days when starting at 250lbs or something. In that sense, yeah it's a fad. But to me it is just one option of home-workout routine. It is what you make of it. I used Weight Watchers a few years ago to lose weight- but I just used the point system. I never attended meetings or paid money for online access. I never put the weight back on.

It is what you make of it. JM and Co are not the same as Atkins or other crazy restriction diets, in my opinion.
  • Juanwi
    Juanwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why he mocks Jillian Michaels. I mean there are hundreds of success-stories about it, many of them here on MFP. I mean surely some might be PR, but not all of them. I guess it depends whether people actually expect to look like JM after 30 days when starting at 250lbs or something. In that sense, yeah it's a fad. But to me it is just one option of home-workout routine. It is what you make of it. I used Weight Watchers a few years ago to lose weight- but I just used the point system. I never attended meetings or paid money for online access. I never put the weight back on.

It is what you make of it. JM and Co are not the same as Atkins or other crazy restriction diets, in my opinion.

I agree with you on the JM. But, I think the point the person was trying to make is that a lot of people do think that if they do that for 30 days, they will have a super rockin' body. I would say that most of the people on here understand using it is just a step in that direction.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options

I read it differently. He didn't mock her, he stated that people who believe 30 days is all it takes to get a rockin' bod aren't being realistic. Also stated that programs like this are good if one learns something from them about eating and exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition