bread

Options
Lake_Po
Lake_Po Posts: 228 Member
What are some good whole grain/wheat breads? I feel like all the breads I look at are crap.

Replies

• EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you can find it out there, but we get one from California: Alvarado Bakery Protein Bread. It's sprouted grain, really good, and relatively low on the calorie count.
  • mandy2128
    Options
    Ezekiel bread.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel bread.

x2. I try to make this the only bread I eat.

But mainly, focus on finding whole wheat with 0 hydrogenated oils or corn syrup and you're probably okay.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I like Alpine Valley products...the multi-grain is my favorite
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    Alpine Valley 9 grain organic...it's the best!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I like Arnold Healthful breads. 5 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein per slice. I also find them yummy.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly, Sourdough is a LOT healthier than even most multi-grain or whole grain breads. The fermentation process makes the Gluten digestible and seriously increases digestion time, IE giving it a much higher Glycemic rating.

I only eat bread after a workout, and if my son like sourdough peanut butter sandwiches, that's what I would be buying.

http://www.danreid.org/health-alerts-sour-dough-health.asp
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    At Costco I like to buy "Dave's Killer Bread". Very hearty stuff.
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly, Sourdough is a LOT healthier than even most multi-grain or whole grain breads. The fermentation process makes the Gluten digestible and seriously increases digestion time, IE giving it a much higher Glycemic rating.

I only eat bread after a workout, and if my son like sourdough peanut butter sandwiches, that's what I would be buying.

http://www.danreid.org/health-alerts-sour-dough-health.asp

This post just changed my life.. I usually eat only wheat but sourdough is my absolute favorite bread! YUM
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I'd never heard of this. So interesting! Thanks!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    What are some good whole grain/wheat breads? I feel like all the breads I look at are crap.
    That's a bit vague. In what way do you feel they are crap? Are you uncomfortable with added preservatives etc? Are you uncomfortable with eating carbohydrates to start with? Are you interested in low GI vs high GI foods? Are you looking for more fibre? Do you think you might have a gluten intolerance? Do you not like the taste of mass produced breads and prefer home-made or artisan breads? It might help you get better suggestions if you explain what exactly's wrong with the ones you're looking at.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Update on sourdough and glycemic index:
    (Citing nutritiondata.com figures for Estimated Glycemic Load)

White bread - 3
    100% whole wheat - 5
    Snickers Bar - 5
    Sourdough - 23
    Sprouted Wheat - 24

Anyone still think that wheat bread is a 'healthy' option?
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    make your own- sourdough starter, water, flour, oil, salt. done. ok, well let it rise first, punch down, form, rise, bake, then done.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That's a bit vague. In what way do you feel they are crap? Are you uncomfortable with added preservatives etc? Are you uncomfortable with eating carbohydrates to start with? Are you interested in low GI vs high GI foods? Are you looking for more fibre? Do you think you might have a gluten intolerance? Do you not like the taste of mass produced breads and prefer home-made or artisan breads? It might help you get better suggestions if you explain what exactly's wrong with the ones you're looking at.

I was just about post this same thing. Assuming the breads you've looked at don't contain actual feces, crap is just your opinion. Some context is needed.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    At Costco I like to buy "Dave's Killer Bread". Very hearty stuff.

Another vote. I buy several bags every time we go down to Costco in the US.
  • Nicky0811
    Options
    Booths do a really lovely low GI Multiseed unsliced loaf that has a nice taste and is only 89 cal a slice :smile:
  • Moto_Woody
    Options
    All this talk of GI brings me to this point.

Please read this article so you understand what the GI number means and if it's really relevant -- you decide.

http://www.fitbie.com/weight-loss-tips/does-glycemic-index-diet-really-work
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Stick to Ezekiel bread!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    All this talk of GI brings me to this point.

Please read this article so you understand what the GI number means and if it's really relevant -- you decide.

http://www.fitbie.com/weight-loss-tips/does-glycemic-index-diet-really-work

From the article:

They're all "low glycemic" foods. And according to many nutrition experts, that qualifies them not only as healthy but also as great diet fare. For example, NutriSystem has pegged its marketing campaign on the science of the "glycemic advantage," which the company claims is the key to losing weight while allowing you to eat the foods you love.

NutriSystem now qualifies as a "nutritional expert"??? I suppose because they couldn't find an actual expert that would say "Low GI = healthy and great diet fare". Though to be fair to the experts at Nutrisystem, that's not exactly what they say either.