Change Body Composition?

Options
Hello to all!! While I'm not technically "new" to MyFitnessPal, I am new to posting and hope I'm doing this correctly!!

First, let me start by saying that I'm interested in any and all feedback (good, bad, or indifferent) as to how to achieve my goal. I'm looking to make changes and want to learn all I can.

Every year for the past 3 years right before my birthday, I set new goals for the upcoming year. As I will be 46 years old in a couple weeks, its that time again. One of my goals this year is to perhaps change my body composition and get stronger. I'm looking for advice as to the best way to do this. My stats are currently the following:

Height: 5'6"
Weight: 120
Body fat: 17 to 18
Lean body mass: 94
Measurements: 32-26-34

I'd like to add more muscle. I currently use free weights and resistance bands. Do i need to add more prtein to my diet, lift heavier? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I would use this guide to set your macro (fat, protein, carb) goals.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Starting Strength, SL 5x5, and AllPro are all popular lifting programs. Whatever program you are doing, what is important is that you are progressing on weight and lifting heavy for you.

From the research I have done and advice from those more experienced and smarter than me in this arena, cutting and bulking cycles are the quickest way to achieve body recomposition. You can also eat at maintenance and try to stay at the same weight while doing this if you are opposed to gaining weight (you will gain fat as well as muscle during a bulk), but it is slower. Some others also use calorie and carb cycling while eating at maintenance, but I have no experience with those.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I would use this guide to set your macro (fat, protein, carb) goals.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Starting Strength, SL 5x5, and AllPro are all popular lifting programs. Whatever program you are doing, what is important is that you are progressing on weight and lifting heavy for you.

From the research I have done and advice from those more experienced and smarter than me in this arena, cutting and bulking cycles are the quickest way to achieve body recomposition. You can also eat at maintenance and try to stay at the same weight while doing this if you are opposed to gaining weight (you will gain fat as well as muscle during a bulk), but it is slower. Some others also use calorie and carb cycling while eating at maintenance, but I have no experience with those.

All this.

Additonally, another fantastic resource is www.bodyrecomposition.com
  • roosevelt
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggestions!! I greatlly appreciate it!!

I'm going to look into the programs that you mentioned as well as the websites as well as perhaps talking to the trainers at the gym. I also picked up The New Rules of Lifting for Women.

In the past, almost my sole focus has been trail running and hiking as well as in the past couple years road biking. I want to continue doing that but also add more strength.