what should I weigh. . . (realistically)

Options
fishing4jc
fishing4jc Posts: 11 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
This is probably more for women, as I know that the scale will differ for men and women. I am 5' 4" small frame, and will be 52 years old in September. I have four kids (so the tummy area has had a stretch fest over the years). I spent the better part of my life under weight and fighting to gain. At 36 after my forth child I was back at 100lbs. Then at 42 I got a hysterectomy and started steadily gaining. I am 132 lbs. but feel like I should weigh more like 120ish. Am I fighting a losing battle (no pun intended). I know that I need to get rid of the excess around my mid section (health concern wise), and I would also like to tone up my upper body as well. I just don't know what other 5' 4" small framed women weigh (or should weigh). Thanks for any help. This has been a wonderful few days on MFP. So, so helpful. =)

Replies

• sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm 1 inch taller and 10 years younger than you. I weigh in at 137. Last time I saw low 100s was when I was like 11 or 12. I am comfortable in my size 6 clothes.

I guess the number on the scale that makes you feel the most comfortable. I know women on here 5 inches taller than me that want to weight less than me. That, I don't get.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Here is a tool for calculating your ideal body weight but you will need to know your current body fat %.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to tone up it's likely you'll stay close to your current weight and just change how your body looks.

Focus on your measurements and clothing size- they will be a better indicator of health.
  • fishing4jc
    Options
    Thanks. I really believe that the number on the scale won't concern me if I were toned and much more comfortable in my clothes. Especially at the waist line. I love to wear skirts, but my mid section sometimes looks like I'm 7 months pregnant. UGH!! So, health and comfort is a huge goal for me. Thanks again for your input. =)
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    I have a tiny frame... I actually even have smaller organs and blood vessels than a normal women caused by an underlying medical condition.
    I checked with my doctor because if you really have a very small frame they will be able to give you a better idea of how low you can safely go.
    I am 5 foot 6 and my goal is 110lbs which may seem underweight to some people but for my bones/frame it will be a healthy number.
  • Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I find the info on the CDC website the easiest to actually use. Go here http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/index.html
    According to them, healthy range for your height is 108 to 145. Given your small frame and the kids and all, your 120 goal sounds perfect. Right in the middle and achievable. As you get closer, you may want to revise as the hysterectomy is a big factor.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    100 lbs is underweight for you. 132 is great. Don't focus so much on the weight though, but how you feel and how you like to look. If you want to look fit and toned, focus on your body fat %. Being a healthy BF is more important than what the scale says.
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm pretty much the same height as you. I'm currently 115. I was closer to 130 at the beginning of the year and like you just felt uncomfortable. I think 115 is a good weight for me. I'm just trying to focus on toning right now but in a bit of an exercise slump right now.

Good luck

cindy
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    120 is an excellent weight for your height and age. Right smack in the middle of the BMI charts.
  • kmcgrath1
    kmcgrath1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Wow, I hate those damn charts. My primary doctor tells me I should be between 120-130 because I'm 5'3". But my chiropractor says no way in hell should I weigh that amount.

He says I have a large bone structure and have a lot of muscle mass, more than average. He told me that whatever the chart says I should automatically add 15 lbs to it. For once, that sounds realistic to me.

I'd say take your measurments, go by your body fat, not the number on the scale and stay at a weight that you're comfortable at.
  • kmcgrath1
    kmcgrath1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Here is a tool for calculating your ideal body weight but you will need to know your current body fat %.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/

That is an awesome site. Dealing with body fat. And it is exactly where my chiropractor said I should be. LOL A lot better than my primary doctor telling me here's the chart, you need to be here.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    This is probably more for women, as I know that the scale will differ for men and women. I am 5' 4" small frame, and will be 52 years old in September. I have four kids (so the tummy area has had a stretch fest over the years). I spent the better part of my life under weight and fighting to gain. At 36 after my forth child I was back at 100lbs. Then at 42 I got a hysterectomy and started steadily gaining. I am 132 lbs. but feel like I should weigh more like 120ish. Am I fighting a losing battle (no pun intended). I know that I need to get rid of the excess around my mid section (health concern wise), and I would also like to tone up my upper body as well. I just don't know what other 5' 4" small framed women weigh (or should weigh). Thanks for any help. This has been a wonderful few days on MFP. So, so helpful. =)

You are a perfectly healthy weight. Really no reason for health concerns due to your weight here.

It's fine if you want to lose a few vanity pound and get down to 120.
    Just don't jeopardize your health for it. I've know too many people who have ratcheted themselves up into a weight problem, by losing more weight than they should then gaining it back plus, then stressing over their weight gain and losing more weight then gaining it back plus, and on and on. Until they do have a real problem.

Anything under 107 lbs is underweight to the point where you may have health issues (for most people, yes there are always exceptions. and I expect you are naturally thin.)

So first work on maintaining... then make a few minor tweaks to your diet... (Plug in your stats and replace your actual weight with 120 then select MAINTAIN... You'll see how many calories you get to maintain your goal weight.) If you eat at your goal weight maintenance calories you'll get there eventually and you only have to relearn your habits one time. (*After you've seen the calories you get to maintain your goal weight don't forget to change your weight back to your actual weight. the you can go to custom setting and plug in those calories there.)

I'm too old to yo-yo any more scares the heck out of me. I'm focused on slow-loss and keeping it off. Seeing the health issues my Mom has been through, has lit a fire under me to focus on health instead of vanity (but I still do have plenty of vanity, just trying not to let it trip up my health.)
  • fishing4jc
    Options
    This is VERY helpful. Thank you so much. I am not sure where to plug in my stats, do you mean on my ticker? I did go in and change that already.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    This is VERY helpful. Thank you so much. I am not sure where to plug in my stats, do you mean on my ticker? I did go in and change that already.
    Nope, not in your ticker.

At the top of the page
    In the light blue bar click MY HOME then
    in the dark blue bar under it click GOALS then
    Click on the Green button that says CHANGE GOALS

Select GUIDED then
    Click on the Green button that says CONTINUE

Enter your GOAL WEIGHT where it says Current weight
    Select MAINTAIN MY CURRENT WEIGHT where it says What is your goal
    Click on the Green button that says UPDATE MY PROFILE

The first line in the left column will say Net Calories Consumed* / Day
    The first line in the right column will have your TARGET CALORIES in red WRITE THAT NUMBER DOWN

ON YOUR BROWSER WINDOW Click the BACK BUTTON 2 times
    Select GUIDED then

Enter your CURRENT WEIGHT where it says Current weight
    Click on the Green button that says UPDATE MY PROFILE

ON YOUR BROWSER WINDOW Click the BACK BUTTON 2 times
    Select CUSTOM then

Next to Net Calories Consumed* type in the number your wrote down earlier.
    At the bottom of the right side column it will tell you your Daily Calorie Deficit and the rate of your Projected Weight Loss

Click on the Green button that says CHANGE GOALS
  • ohsointricate8
    ohsointricate8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I hate the BMI charts! I get different numbers from the doctor, the web, and wii fit (okay maybe that isn't the most accurate) I'm 5'5 and I feel like anywhere in the 130-140 range would be a good healthy place!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a magical number of what people should weigh because we are all different. Go by how you feel, how you look in hour clothes, and how you like yourself in the mirror.

I had a wonderful fitness trainer once who told me, "the numbers on the scale don't count." She was about five foot ten and confessed she weighed 185 pounds, but she was pure muscle.

For me, the scale is an indicator of my progress but it's not something that I will rely on. I'm almost back into some of those size 6 clothes, and that is good enough for me. :smile:
  • fishing4jc
    Options
    thank you so much for taking the time to walk me through the goals stuff. Have a great weekend.
This discussion has been closed.