bread

Options
2»

Replies

• Moto_Woody
    Options
    Please read the entire article, and decide for yourself.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I am trying to illustrate that when you compare two types of the same food, bread vs. bread, then things like GI do become important. Also pointing out that there's really no such thing as 'healthy' bread unless you genuinely need a fast influx of blood-sugar... say post-workout or hypo-glycemic.

Don't eat whole wheat toast thinking it's health food... it's not. It's essentially the first candy humankind ever made for itself and does you about as much good as eating a candy bar. Just because whole wheat is healthier doesn't make it healthy any more than buying low-sodium bacon makes it a health food. Up until modern times when most modern humans had to scrape, hunt, and fight for calories it was one of the best things possible. But when you're trying to go the other direction you need to understand what it really is.

GI is a factor, and there's a lot more to get into with GI, but since this was specifically about bread....

PS - Good buttered toast is one of my favorite foods on earth, which is why I get to eat it after and only after a workout.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel bread.

x2. I try to make this the only bread I eat.

But mainly, focus on finding whole wheat with 0 hydrogenated oils or corn syrup and you're probably okay.

This.
  • Lake_Po
    Lake_Po Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    So I bought the Ezekiel bread. I'm trying to like it, but I don't yet. I don't know what I don't like about it, specifically, but maybe I'll get used to it by the time I've finished the loaf. Thanks for the suggestions!! :)
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    We buy Safeway brand 15 grain and Healthy grains. At 90-110 calories a slice they aren't too bad on the calories and they taste good. Best of all they are not budget busters so I can afford to add more fresh foods.