tdee-20 at sedentary/without exercise

Options
hello all,

i would like to know if people who followed tdee-20 ( accoording to online calculators) at sedentary level that is without any exercise.
did u lose weight at a desired rate
or did u lose any weight

without exercise!! pls note that.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You lose weight eating at a deficit. Exercise will make you fit or allow you to eat more but isn't necessary as far as weight loss is concerned. Whether 20% is the proper deficit for you is another matter. The deficit you choose should be based on the amount you need to lose not just chosen randomly.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    TDEE on sedentary is the same as your maintenance calories on sedentary, which is exactly what MFP already calculates for you.

-20% for most people tends to be around 400-600 calorie deficit a day, which averages out to what MFP already takes off at 1lb per week (500 calories).

If you're going to do the TDEE-20% method and be completely sedentary, you might as well just use MFP as it is.
  • LilBritGettinFit
    LilBritGettinFit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    ^^ This. If you DO exercise, eat back your exercise calories. That is how MFP is designed.
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Whoa this has me confused! On all the other threads I have read MFP is way off on calories and you should calculate your own TDEE?
  • ladynocturne
    Options
    Whoa this has me confused! On all the other threads I have read MFP is way off on calories and you should calculate your own TDEE?

Not sure where you read that, or if maybe you misunderstood.

Sometimes MFP over estimates calorie burns for elliptical trainers and some workouts like Zumba, and it should be noted that some people eat back between 50%-80% of those calories.

Maybe you're referring to the fact that *most* people set their MFP profile to lose 2lbs a week, even if they only have 10lbs to lose, and it's not a realistic deficit for them.
  • RozayJones
    Options
    I've seen it so many times. I recalculated based on my TDEE and am now suppose to eat about 350 calories more than what MFP calculated based on 1 pound a week.
  • ladynocturne
    Options
    I've seen it so many times. I recalculated based on my TDEE and am now suppose to eat about 350 calories more than what MFP calculated based on 1 pound a week.

Yes, but I think that if you look at how many calories you'd get by logging your exercise on MFP, that you'd be grossing nearly the same amount of calories.

1200(goal)+400(exercise)=1600 calories to eat.

TDEE-20%=1600 calories to eat.
  • RozayJones
    Options
    Good point! Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options

Yes, but I think that if you look at how many calories you'd get by logging your exercise on MFP, that you'd be grossing nearly the same amount of calories.

Exactly....When done correctly, they usually come out about 6 of 1 give or take a few calories...problem is that people compare 2 Lb loss goals on MFP to 20% cuts with TDEE, so it's apples to oranges at that point...then on top of that, they ignore the part where you account for exercise before the fact with TDEE and after the fact with MFP.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options

The part to note is if you get 5 days were all you do is sit and study, skipping your normal working out, you wind up eating 6,000 cals under MFP, and 9,000 cals under TDEE-20%.
    Spend 5 days helping build sandbag walls to stop the flooding and TDEE-20% says you get 9,000 cals, and MFP says you get 12,000 cals.
    So if you are doing the TDEE version you might want to adjust your numbers based on what your day really is like, and not what it was supposed to be like.
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    thanku for the replies.
    any more replies of people who actully did this.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    From my own life, I am losing weight basically on calorie reduction (and low sodium too). and I am not really exercising except i do go out walking/shopping type exercise and a little bit of walking to and from the bus but really I'm not exercising on a daily basis like going to the gym. (I might go swimming if i have time) but i'm basically calorie reducing and its working. (almost 40 pounds in 3 months)
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Nonny Mary> did u lose any hair and how much calories have u reduced?? and how much over weight are you?
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Nonny Mary> did u lose any hair and how much calories have u reduced?? and how much over weight are you?

According to her tracker she is trying to lose 185lbs, and according to her diary she is averaging around 1500 cals per day with a target of 1700 (She is normally under her goal).