Fluctuation vs real

Options
So on my 21st bday I had bday cake for first time in 6 yrs . Before that had maintained my wt for 5 days (from tues and then weighed Fri, sat, Sun). I had eaten a lot of my forbidden foods during that time and was feeling great. Then Sun had the cake and next day up a lb. It's now Wed I kept eating forbidden foods and the lb is still there. Should I accept its real weight gain at this point? Could a week catch up to you overnight? I was so excited to be able to eat these foods and not gain. Want to hold onto hope its a flux....but don't want to live in denial either. So should I accept that I gained thanks.to cake and these foods or hold on to thinking flux? I have been eating later than usual since Sun too...

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think most people would agree that it takes at minimum, a month to determine whether a gain is true. A week is nothing. Also a pound is nothing, you can lose that in 7-10days depending on your current weight.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Here's a thread that might help you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1085671-rapid-or-fluctuation

Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Only a pound? I fluctuate sometimes 3 pounds day to day, up or down.
    If I focused on the 1 pound I would drive myself bonkers.
    If it were me and it bothered me, I would just loose the darn pound.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    If you, with an ED, keep posting the same topic because no answer is assuaging your fears, MFP might not be the place for you. If you're not working with a counselor or therapist trained in helping with ED recovery, find one as soon as possible.
  • CaptainWillard
    CaptainWillard Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Your body is not likely to gain any measurable fat due to one meal or even one day's worth of overeating. What you will see is water weight gain, especially if you eat something carb heavy. I gained 4 pounds after eating cake at my daughter's birthday party this year. It was gone in a few days.

Don't let your weight on any given day or even several days in a row freak you out. Weigh in daily, but average your weight out for the week, then average your weeks into months and track your changes month to month. The body is amazing in it's ability to maintain homeostasis - you need to take a long view on your progress. And never make changes to your diet because you're freaking out about a bad weigh in. Make small, calculated corrections to your diet based upon your rate of change over a period of weeks or months, not days.

Seriously, you will drive yourself crazy if you live and die by what's on the scale every morning.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    thank you all...sorry for repeating the same topic...I just wasn't sure where to post it and didn't know how to delete my previous ones...thanks for all of the CARING and UNDERSTANDING responses...