Pull ups and Push ups

Options
2»

Replies

• MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Oh, and to add to my post... I also worked out my back twice a week rather than once. I trained doing my pull-ups over hand to strengthen my back but do them under hand for my PFT.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, plan to EXCEED the standard, and by that I mean the TEST standard, not the entry standard. When it comes to military training, the level of misery rises exponentially if you aren't prepared.

What helped me with pull-ups was a combination of:

1) assistance from a buddy
    2) assistance from a bench (choose a bench just high enough you can get your chin over the bar when standing on your toes on the bench, keep a foot on the bench and then ONLY use your legs as a last resort)
    3) something I can best describe as "inverted push ups" (lie under a bar that's about waist high and, keeping your body rigid from your head to your toes, pull yourself up until the bar is under your chin)

Once you have the ability to do a push-up and / or a sit up, then the solution is to do more. One program I saw said to do as many as you can, then wait for a minute, then do as many as you can, again, and keep doing this until you reach your goal or exhaustion.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    if you weren't there to improve your physical fitness then why would you be PTing at 0500?

I was always told "it's because the cadre doesn't have anything better for you to do at this time".
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    if you weren't there to improve your physical fitness then why would you be PTing at 0500?
    I was always told "it's because the cadre doesn't have anything better for you to do at this time".
    It is because anyone who wants to be a Drill Sergeant is going to be the type of person who loves to torture people.
  • Swehl
    Swehl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    1. Adaptive pull ups are great for beginners
    2. Rows
    3. Lat pull downs
    4. Bang out as many push ups as you can (push to failure) as often as possible
    5. Protein - at least 1 gram per 1 lb of body weight
    6. Advice from my husband (USMC active duty 9+ years): TIRE FLIPS! He says that tire flips are the perfect full body workout when performed correctly. Why is this helpful for pull ups and push ups? -- Tire flips will help considerably with grip (very important for pull ups). They will also help a great deal with core strength (back and abs) and biceps. --- Not regular little car/truck tires --

Good luck :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    pretty sure the marines use thicker then usual bar which is supposed to make them more difficult, so consider that as well

I found a thinner bar to be more of an issue for me.

But women are required to do a hang rather than pull ups- but at my school- we had 2 bars- and technically the thinner bar was for the women- but we all hated it- it was so much harder to use than a slightly fatter 2" bar.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    'Grease the Groove' training, have never found any way to increase strength faster, especially when muscle mass is not the goal.

http://humanmachine.wordpress.com/2007/06/22/grease-the-groove-for-strength/

Written by a top-notch exercise scientist.

Basics are, strength is largely skill, like hitting a baseball or dancing. The more you practice a skill, the more efficient your neural pathways get at performing that motion. Strength has far more to do with skill and far less to do with muscle than most people think! Tough muscle and connective tissue is just your body's adaptation to increasing the 'safe zone' for expressing strength, IE allowing the body to express more strength without hurting itself. This is where the 'mother pulls car off of child' stories come from, emergency adrenaline overriding the safety limits of the body and expressing all possible strength. (usually leaving the person quite injured in the process)

Also, like any skill, you learn best when fresh. The first lift of a workout is literally the most useful, with diminishing returns for every following lift, because you are your most fresh and able to express strength without limitation. Ideally to gain the most strength, you would lift in small rep sets all day long.

You can actually do this in a way. Set a trigger, either a timer or a situation, and do your target exercise whenever you hit the trigger. I do single-legged squats and pushups every hour at work, my phone always running a timer. You could set a situational trigger like in the link, where every time you go to the kitchen you do a pushup. Either way, you end up doing a TON of very useful reps every day without getting all sweaty or needing to go to the gym.

Again, I have done a LOT of working out, and I have never gained strength faster with any other method.
    I don't see how this would do much for muscular endurance. Military exercises and drills tend to focus a whole lot around muscular endurance with only some emphasis on muscular strength.

If you read the article, you would know that the specific example was increasing muscular endurance for pullups.
    Plus, Pavel persuaded his 60-year-old father-in-law, Roger Antonson, to do chins every time he went down into his basement; each day he would do between 25 and 100 chin-ups. After a few months of such training (and a few days of rest), Roger knocked off 20 chins, more than he had been able to do 40 years earlier in the Marine Corps. That did it. I decided to test Pavel’s formula: Specificity + frequent practice = success.

Also, Maximal Strength leads to increased endurance as well. The lower % of maximal you lift, the less it takes out of you, and the less constricted the muscle gets, allowing more consistent blood flow for oxygen delivery and lactic acid removal.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If you can get access to the assisted pull-ups do those. They work great.

Good luck in boot camp! Oh, and welcome to the military.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you can get access to the assisted pull-ups do those. They work great.

Good luck in boot camp! Oh, and welcome to the military.

on the effectiveness scale of training pull ups - they are completely at the bottom and **almost** useless.

They are the last thing I recommend to people to use.
  • Alanhalil
    Alanhalil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    MFP,

I recently began the enlistment process for the USMC. However before I can go to MEPS I have to demonstrate that I can perform two pull ups and ten push ups. Right now I'm at no pull ups and just shy of eight full good form push ups.

My question is:

What is the fastest, most effective means of gaining the upper body strength necessary to do these exercises with limited access to equipment? I have an over the door pull up bar at home and access to a few machines at work but that's about it.

Thank you for your help,

S,

I don't want to sound harsh but you're going to be in for a pretty nasty reality check if you're currently struggling to meet the entry requirement. You need to re-assess your goals or seriously work your nuts off working on your push ups every single day.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    'Grease the Groove' training, have never found any way to increase strength faster, especially when muscle mass is not the goal.

http://humanmachine.wordpress.com/2007/06/22/grease-the-groove-for-strength/

Written by a top-notch exercise scientist.

Basics are, strength is largely skill, like hitting a baseball or dancing. The more you practice a skill, the more efficient your neural pathways get at performing that motion. Strength has far more to do with skill and far less to do with muscle than most people think! Tough muscle and connective tissue is just your body's adaptation to increasing the 'safe zone' for expressing strength, IE allowing the body to express more strength without hurting itself. This is where the 'mother pulls car off of child' stories come from, emergency adrenaline overriding the safety limits of the body and expressing all possible strength. (usually leaving the person quite injured in the process)

Also, like any skill, you learn best when fresh. The first lift of a workout is literally the most useful, with diminishing returns for every following lift, because you are your most fresh and able to express strength without limitation. Ideally to gain the most strength, you would lift in small rep sets all day long.

You can actually do this in a way. Set a trigger, either a timer or a situation, and do your target exercise whenever you hit the trigger. I do single-legged squats and pushups every hour at work, my phone always running a timer. You could set a situational trigger like in the link, where every time you go to the kitchen you do a pushup. Either way, you end up doing a TON of very useful reps every day without getting all sweaty or needing to go to the gym.

Again, I have done a LOT of working out, and I have never gained strength faster with any other method.
    I don't see how this would do much for muscular endurance. Military exercises and drills tend to focus a whole lot around muscular endurance with only some emphasis on muscular strength.

If you read the article, you would know that the specific example was increasing muscular endurance for pullups.
    Plus, Pavel persuaded his 60-year-old father-in-law, Roger Antonson, to do chins every time he went down into his basement; each day he would do between 25 and 100 chin-ups. After a few months of such training (and a few days of rest), Roger knocked off 20 chins, more than he had been able to do 40 years earlier in the Marine Corps. That did it. I decided to test Pavel’s formula: Specificity + frequent practice = success.

Also, Maximal Strength leads to increased endurance as well. The lower % of maximal you lift, the less it takes out of you, and the less constricted the muscle gets, allowing more consistent blood flow for oxygen delivery and lactic acid removal.
    I tried to read the article and the site would not open. I was thinking on my ride home yesterday that increasing strength could result in an improvement of endurance for pretty much the exact same reason that you have listed here. Either way this will be simple enough for me to test on myself.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I invested in a pull up assist that clips onto my bar. As I get better and can complete 8-10 pull ups at that resistance I let it out a bit more till hopefully one day I won't need it any more. As for push ups, just keep doing them! And change it up! Wide, close, diamond, military, decline, and the list goes on!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I put this blog together on what worked for me when building up push-ups:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/how-to-do-10-full-push-ups-what-worked-for-me-126396

The TL; DR version is do a set of 10, starting with the hardest type you can manage then dropping down to an easier level to complete the set. Try to do three sets in total.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Too bad you don't have an assisted pull up machine.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Too bad you don't have an assisted pull up machine.

Some of those resistance bands and the door bar she already has would do the trick. Wouldn't be perfect, but you work with what you have.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Outside of doing more push ups and pull ups I would say go swim laps. My 13 year old son couldn't do a regular pull up but then was swimming a half an hour a day for several weeks. Now the little punk can not only do pull ups but he can do corn cob pull ups and do several in a row! His arm, back, chest and shoulder strength went through the roof doing all those laps!