Totally Lost

Options
2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1514 calories per day. MFP set my calories at 1200 per day. I started 6 weeks ago and have lost 18 lbs. At the moment I burn 260 calories on a treadmill (I am not fit) but I am improving, is this the right amount of calories for me as come night time I am hungry. I didn't set the calories, MFP did when I put in my details.

Eat your exercise cals
  • You are all correct in a sense but you're failing to take into consideration that OP's TDEE is probably only 400-500 more than her BMR considering she is a woman, "not fit", and her daily exercise amounts to ~250 cal.

Assuming this puts her at a TDEE of 1950, 1200 a day would be a deficit of 750 which means she would lose 1.5 lbs per week. Which is already less than most people want to lose.

1200 a day is too low for *most* people, but it is appropriate for OP.

You're failing to understand TDEE and BMR, lol. Look at what you eat, and then consider whether you should be handing out such potentially damaging advice.
  • eethomson1
    Options
    right according to MFP, in order to lose 1lb a week I should eat 1390 calories, so if i go up to 1390 calories and do the exercise, which is getting better, I should eat the exercise calories back is that correct?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    You are all correct in a sense but you're failing to take into consideration that OP's TDEE is probably only 400-500 more than her BMR considering she is a woman, "not fit", and her daily exercise amounts to ~250 cal.

Assuming this puts her at a TDEE of 1950, 1200 a day would be a deficit of 750 which means she would lose 1.5 lbs per week. Which is already less than most people want to lose.

Checked out her diary. It makes me sad. Do not take advice from this person, ever.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    right according to MFP, in order to lose 1lb a week I should eat 1390 calories, so if i go up to 1390 calories and do the exercise, which is getting better, I should eat the exercise calories back is that correct?

Yes, you should eat back the exercise calories with MFP calculations.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options

Yes, if you do this eat exercise calories. Make sure to consume at least your BMR every day.
  • micheleb15
    Options
    You are all correct in a sense but you're failing to take into consideration that OP's TDEE is probably only 400-500 more than her BMR considering she is a woman, "not fit", and her daily exercise amounts to ~250 cal.

Checked out her diary. It makes me sad. Do not take advice from this person, ever.

I was going to respond also, but then saw that she boasting about losing 20lbs in 3 weeks. Wasn't worth the time. OP got the information she needed. Hopefully she goes with the majority here.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Yes, if you do this eat exercise calories. Make sure to consume at least your BMR every day.

This.

And not ever this...

Never that. Just never.
  • eethomson1
    Options
    I have read it as well, that is scary. I think i get the picture, i can eat my BMR and will lose wait with the exercise is that correct provided i eat my exercise calories back, oh god i am so not used to this
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I have read it as well, that is scary. I think i get the picture, i can eat my BMR and will lose wait with the exercise is that correct provided i eat my exercise calories back, oh god i am so not used to this

If you eat your BMR (1500) you will lose, yes.
    If you eat 1500 as well as your exercise calories, you will also lose, but slower.

Maybe aim for 1500 daily and eat your exercise calories if you feel hungrier that day?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options

Yup. The idea is to go slow and steady. Too many people think that dieting is a race to get things off as fast as possible so they can go back to their normal eating routine. In reality, you shouldn't restrict that much, and instead build new habits that you can maintain forever. Weight lost slowly is more likely to stay off. You are more likely to stick to it and meet your goals if you aren't depriving yourself of everything all the time.

FWIW, normally I consume 1800-2000 calories a day. I'm in marathon training right now, so I actually eat between 2400-2700, and I am very happy with how I look. You can send me a FR/PM if you have any questions.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Yup. The idea is to go slow and steady. Too many people think that dieting is a race to get things off as fast as possible so they can go back to their normal eating routine. In reality, you shouldn't restrict that much, and instead build new habits that you can maintain forever. Weight lost slowly is more likely to stay off. You are more likely to stick to it and meet your goals if you aren't depriving yourself of everything all the time.

FWIW, normally I consume 1800-2000 calories a day. I'm in marathon training right now, so I actually eat between 2400-2700, and I am very happy with how I look. You can send me a FR/PM if you have any questions.

This!!!

Van-Der-Beek-High-Five-GIF.gif

It's a lifestyle change not a diet. Moderation not deprivation.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options

I was going to respond also, but then saw that she boasting about losing 20lbs in 3 weeks. Wasn't worth the time. OP got the information she needed. Hopefully she goes with the majority here.

500 calories a day?? I had to look to see what was so scary and my eyes about popped out of my head.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

MFP expects you to eat calories back ....... MFP gave you a deficit BEFORE exercise. The problem with not eating calories back, you are more likely to lose muscle mass along with fat.
  • bob_day
    bob_day Posts: 87
    Options
    My BMR is 1514 calories per day. MFP set my calories at 1200 per day. I started 6 weeks ago and have lost 18 lbs. At the moment I burn 260 calories on a treadmill (I am not fit) but I am improving, is this the right amount of calories for me as come night time I am hungry. I didn't set the calories, MFP did when I put in my details.

Three pounds a week is a lot of weight loss, but if you feel
    OK and don't have a lack of energy, keep going with what
    you're doing!!
  • eethomson1
    Options
    According to calculations my TDEE is 2481, that is exercising everyday which I do since i have started this, so if i eat between my BMR and TDEE I will still lose weight, I am a bit scared of doing this. I have set my goals to 1500 calories per day and MFP estimates I will lose 0.8lbs a week which doesn't seem very much to me. I have to tell you that I am so new to this, never thought about diet and exercise so much before, well since the weight piled on and I do really want to lose the weight, does 1500 calories plus eating back my exercise calories, is this realistic, sounds like a lot of food
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    According to calculations my TDEE is 2481, that is exercising everyday which I do since i have started this, so if i eat between my BMR and TDEE I will still lose weight, I am a bit scared of doing this. I have set my goals to 1500 calories per day and MFP estimates I will lose 0.8lbs a week which doesn't seem very much to me. I have to tell you that I am so new to this, never thought about diet and exercise so much before, well since the weight piled on and I do really want to lose the weight, does 1500 calories plus eating back my exercise calories, is this realistic, sounds like a lot of food

1500 is a great goal, and can be a lot of food if you eat many low calorie things (like vegetables!) or can be very little food if you eat, say, McDonalds for lunch. :smile:

.8 lbs a week is fantastic.

I'm gonna stick with my earlier guess of eating 1500 a day, and adding in the exercise calories as food if you feel more hungry that day.
  • micheleb15
    Options

Try upping the calories slowly with eating your BMR and exercise calories back. I am 5'2, 151lbs and I eat between 1600-1700 only working out 3-4 times a week. Eating more can be a hard concept to understand for most of us. Everyone is different, but as long as you are at a deficit, you will lose. I think you will be pretty happy to see how much you can eat and still lose weight. Just give it time, there is an adjustment period for your body so don't give up. :)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Try upping the calories slowly with eating your BMR and exercise calories back. I am 5'2, 151lbs and I eat between 1600-1700 only working out 3-4 times a week. Eating more can be a hard concept to understand for most of us. Everyone is different, but as long as you are at a deficit, you will lose. I think you will be pretty happy to see how much you can eat and still lose weight. Just give it time, there is an adjustment period for your body so don't give up. :)

This!!!

Yes, give it time. More than just a couple weeks. Maybe more like 4-6 weeks.

I know it's scary because all you ever hear is "to lose weight you need to eat less and move more" when the truth is you need to eat more. It's a hard concept to wrap your brain around when you're so used to hearing the first thing. Think about it this way, your car can't go far on $10 of gas, neither can your body.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

Agree!! This poster's daily goal is 500 cals...uhhh... :noway: