Female 5 ft. 9 in. Goal weight?

Options
I guess this is a little early to be thinking about this seeing as I've only lost 28 pounds but yeah....
Anyways! My starting weight was 300 pounds and I was thinking my goal weight should be 160-180. I'm not really sure what I should be aiming for. Any thoughts?

Replies

• kelleyhelm1
    kelleyhelm1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9. started at 312. and I have lost 32 pounds already. my goal weight is 140-150. maybe a little more, I might build muscle.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,972 Member
    Options
    A healthy weight "range" for 5'9" would be 129 – 163 lbs.

i'm 5'9" and weigh about 145 lbs...but, I'm trying to get below 140 while keeping all the muscle I've built with heavy lifting.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It depends on your frame. I'm 5'9" and fairly broad shouldered and hipped. I thought 150 would get me neatly into most size 12s, but I'm almost there and my clothes are still tight. So now I'm aiming for 140. BUT, I'm 54 and have clearly lost some density. When I was younger, 150 was a good number for me.

Kudos to both of you on what you've already lost, and on your goals!
  • nglant
    nglant Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have always used the 5 lbs for every inch over 5'., so that would be around 145.
  • horrorstory
    horrorstory Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Depends on your body type
    Im 5'9 and a half....basically 5'10 haha. but my goal is 160.
    ultimate goal is 140 but if I was happy with my body I wouldnt care what that scale said.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    ANYWHERE in the healthy BMI range - it's your choice! Well done so far. xxx
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" but I have broad shoulders, hips, etc. My ultimate goal is 170. It just depends on what you want for you.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say it depends on your frame. I have a medium build, so at 5'9 I look odd if I weigh less than 140. I am happier in the 145-150 range, but really at this point it is more about body fat % for me. I aim for 20-22% body fat, and don't really care about the number on the scale.
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I want to get to at least 165, then I'll reevaluate!
  • bethcerabona
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have a pretty large frame as well so I'm thinking maybe 170 might be good for me then. I'm not really sure. However, I am 19 and I don't know if 170 would be "average" for my age and sex. :/
  • dvw443
    dvw443 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" with a medium frame and my goal weight is 140. The lowest I have been in 150 and I was pretty happy with that but still had a few rolls that bugged me. I'm pregnant right now and can't wait to start working out and eating how I used to!

If you are happy when you get to 170, then screw what society says! Congrats on your loss already! :) You are already a healthier and happier you and that's what's really important. :)
  • CycleGuy9000
    Options
    90 Lbs. should do the trick ;)
  • iggylove123
    Options
    I'm about 5'9.5" and I'm about 164 right now! I wear a size 10, sometimes even an 8! I have wider hips and a wider rib cage. I like this weight :) The lowest I would ever go would be 155 maybe. It depends on amount of muscle and your build I suppose!! :)
  • oregonduckgirlie
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'8" 1/2 and my dietitian recommended anywhere between 120-140 for me. I currently maintain at 123-125, and I feel great. Since you are a bit taller, I can't say for sure, but the CDC says for 5'9 that anything above 168 is considered overweight, while anywhere between 125-168 is in the normal range. Generally, doctors like patients to be somewhere in the middle, not too close to overweight not too close to underweight, but everybody is different. Hope this helps :)

Here's a link to a BMI chart from the CDC: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.htm
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 sometimes 5 10 depends who measures me. Right now I'm 193 and a size 12. My goal is an 8 -10 so I'm guessing my weight will be 160ish depending who muscular I am