stuck!

Options
hi guys! wondering if anyone has any advice for me. i am following the 1290 calories mfp has alotted me and walking an hour a day but not loosing weight. i have been stuck for 2 weeks with out losing anything. what am i doing wrong? what should i fix? any ideas? feeling a little lost here. any advice would be great! thanks

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    im pretty new here myself but ill just let you know the response that you are going to get is that you should open your diary so they can give you better advice.
  • tbhoover
    tbhoover Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    im pretty new here myself but ill just let you know the response that you are going to get is that you should open your diary so they can give you better advice.

This
  • K8sgreat
    K8sgreat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    how do i open my diary? lol..not sure how to do that
  • sccamero
    sccamero Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    my advice: Always panic after a month. I am an avid weight watcher on my scale and trust me it gets frustrating especially when hitting a plateau. As long as you keep eating healthy and exercising, it will come down. Just wait a month. :)
  • K8sgreat
    Options
    figured it out! thanks
  • K8sgreat
    Options
    yea you are probably right. i know i want things quickly and need to realize its not going to be quick..thank you
  • Deedle7544
    Deedle7544 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to open up the diary, but I can feeel your pain! I am stuck too, but bf keeps dropping. I;m happy for him, but ready for my scales to start dropping again too. All I can say is, keep with it, change will kick back in.
  • K8sgreat
    Options
    it will! it is really hard when you feel like your doing all you are supposed to and it stalls..i will just keep on keepin on! you too! hang in there it is bound to come off! right? lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. A couple of weeks with little to no movement isn't necessarily being stuck. You could actually have losses that are masked by natural weight fluctuations. For example...1 to 2 Lbs per week weight loss is a good, safe and healthy rate (of course, the less you have to lose the slower it needs to be...but for someone with a lot to lose, 2 Lbs is perfectly safe)...now, the average person out there can fluctuate 2-5 Lbs day to day...so, lets say you are losing fat at the rate of 1.5 Lbs per week...but your weight in occurs on a "heavy" day when you're retaining more water than you otherwise do....let's say you're retaining 5 Lbs of water...well, your fat loss isn't going to show up on the scale because it is masked by the water retention.

Two weeks is nothing...it's a drop in the bucket. I've been at this almost a year now with 40 Lbs down. I'm currently maintaining, though I could stand to lose a few more vanity Lbs...but that's all they are at this point. My point is that this is a long process...it isn't about this week or next week...it's about this month, next month...several months from now...next year, and the rest of your life. Like I said, two weeks is a drop in the old bucket.

Just another example because I'm maintaining...and to illustrate the fact that maintenance isn't static (just as loss isn't linear). I weigh myself daily...and if I were to draw a straight line through my graph and take the average, it would be right around 182 Lbs...but this past Sunday I weighed 178 Lbs which was roughly 3 Lbs down from my Saturday morning weigh in. What gives? Did I lose a bunch of fat all of a sudden? Hardly...I had a killer workout Sat morning and then went on a bike and wine tasting tour later that day...I was pretty much on the move all day and I completely depleted my glycogen stores. I spent most of Sunday replenishing this glycogen stores due to the fact that I felt like a truck hit me. Monday morning I awoke to a 6.9 Lbs gain from Sunday. WTF...am I getting fat overnight? No...like I said, I spent most of Sunday replenishing my glycogen stores and carb loading...now at Wednesday I'm back at 181.6 as of this morning.

You really, really have to take a much longer view and track long term trends, not day to day minutia.
  • Deedle7544
    Deedle7544 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Its coming off! I am not giving up,no matter how frustrating it might get, I don;t like the altenative - I need to take a page out of your book and getting better about walking.
  • recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, weight loss is not linear. I have been tracking every loss and if you look over the last 6 months it literally looks like stairs with every "down" on the stair happening every two to three-ish weeks.

You may also want to do some research on BMR and TDEE. I'm not going to tell you to eat more because that's your decision but if you believe what these are telling you, you should probably be eating 400ish more calories per day for weight loss (do the math though!). Good luck!
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I didn't look at your diary that well as I was distracted by your sodium intake being near or over your limit the last few days. You'd have to google how much salt you should have in a day as I have no idea and the amount you're having could be perfect but I do know that if you have too much then you retain water and your weight won't move for a few days.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    If you know you're eating is mostly in check, may I ask what types of exercise you are doing aside from the walking? If you are basically doing the same workout over and over, your body eventually falls into a routine, which results in your body not having to work as hard, which results in fewer calories burned. If you change up your workout frequently ,about every 4-5 workouts, you will always keep that body of your guessing, which means you are always making it work hard and blast those calories! Try to change up/amp up that routine of yours every 5 workouts to keep your body from falling into a routine.

How about adding intervals to your walking routine? Make a game like every time you see a park bench do some incline push ups, 10 lunges and some squats to get some strength in as well. Every time you see a rabbit(or anything else) stop and do 10 jumping jacks. Things like that. It may sound silly, but it keeps things interesting! Mother Natures gym is the best one around!

Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I agree, just keep going! It's really frustrating when the scale doesn't move but that doesn't mean you're not doing good things for your body, getting healthier, stronger. I just shared this morning with another MFP friend that my clothes were falling off long before the scale acknowledged that I lost weight!! So just focus on how you're feeling, how you're clothes are fitting, are you noticing improvements in your breathing when you have to lug the groceries in, that sort of thing! Don't give up!!

I'm sharing a quote that I got from another MFP friend that I like to say to myself on tough days - "Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." ~ Earl Nightingale
  • K8sgreat
    Options
    thank you all for the great advice! i will mix it up with the exercise. i have only been walking and biking. and i will def look at my sodium..i love salt..lol. day by day..
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    day by day..

Exactly! It's a learning process! Just like you said, take it one day at a time!

You totally got this!
  • fizzfizz
    fizzfizz Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    hang in there! I have been 'stuck' for months and losing (if at all) really, really slowly, but although the scales fluctuate up / down about 2/3lbs for me that's OK, it's the kind of monitoring I will be doing when I hit goal weight and although my weight appears pretty static, actually I am not - check out other factors too, for example a skirt that I couldn't quite do up a month ago is now fine ... as long as the trend is basically downwards I see the good habits I am picking up by being more aware of what I am eating as being fine, it took me a long time to get tubby, it'll take my brain a lot longer to get used to staying smaller but I am getting there which is what really counts, not the daily numbers on those scales - play the long game and good luck!
  • losindood
    losindood Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Two weeks with no weight loss isn't really "stuck." Be patient. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Your weight loss will fluctuate. Just stick with your plan. Consistency will win out over time.
  • K8sgreat
    Options
    thank you! i agree i just need to focus on being healthy and not just the number. thanks for the great comments!