Weight Loss Can Result in Reversing Diabetes

Options
I have taken insulin injections for Diabetes for over thirty years, along with oral medication. When I decided to us MyFitnessPal about seven months ago, I did not expect the results of lowering my body weight. Net result? After reaching my primary target weight of 205 lbs, my A1C3 has dropped to 5.4, and my doctor has instructed my to stop insulin injections AND oral Diabetes meds. I am now pre-diabetic! I have a new target weight of 195 lbs and hope to lower my high blood pressure and eliminate the need for those meds. I encourage you to "stay the course" with your weight loss diet and an exercise program; you can do it! So, JUST DO IT! My best wishes for your ultimate success!

Replies

• autopilot_on
    Options
    That is just fantastic! Congratulations on an incredible bonus to your healthier body!
  • WillowWindow
    WillowWindow Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This is an absolutely wonderful result. Congratulations on your increased health. I hope you soon achieve your other goals. Thanks for reporting this.

:)
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Yay!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Congrats! That has to feel so awesome!
  • MoJoPoe
    MoJoPoe Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have all the indications of diabetes, but have never been tested. I believe good diet and exercise keep diabetes from catching me.

Great news to see such a big improvement in your health!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing people say this. But any time i ask a healthcare professional if diabetes is reversable, they look at me like i'm a moron and give me a very confident NO!

I have a lot of loved ones with diabetes. Unfortunately, even if this is true, i don't think it would motivate them to eat/exercise enough.

Just hoping this is for real and not another ridiculous troll, cause this one would be a little like a punch in the nuts
  • prgirl39
    prgirl39 Posts: 108
    Options
    Congratulations!! I have been diagnosed too with Type 2 diabetes and I have been on a path to healthy living since. I am hoping to reverse it and get healthy. Reading this story gives me hope.

Thanks for sharing!
  • donohoe4
    donohoe4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Wonderful job! I can also verify that weight loss has a significant effect for Type II diabetics. It is amazing what a healthy lifestyle does. Keep up the great work!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! Congratulations. :drinker:
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing people say this. But any time i ask a healthcare professional if diabetes is reversable, they look at me like i'm a moron and give me a very confident NO!

I have a lot of loved ones with diabetes. Unfortunately, even if this is true, i don't think it would motivate them to eat/exercise enough.

Just hoping this is for real and not another ridiculous troll, cause this one would be a little like a punch in the nuts

You have been talking to the wrong healthcare professionals. It may not be reversible for 100% of the population, but I've heard and read about any number of people being able to reduce or eliminate meds.

I personally have gone from pre-diabetic to normal blood sugars, normal cholesterol, etc. with a loss of @ 90 lbs when I had my blood test.

Just added benefits to all the other benefits of weight loss and getting fitter.

OP, congratulations, and thank you for sharing your story!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    excellent!!!
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    This is the kind of post I love to read! Thank you for sharing! You are a legend! Keep on....
  • carofenice1
    Options
    Great work!!
    I have done my research and there are studies done at Newcastle University that show that low calorie diets for a relatively short period of time can reverse type 2 diabetes. I have been trying this myself for the last couple of months as i want to be off metformin and feeling better.
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Fan-friggin-tastic!!!!!! :drinker:
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be negative, but I am dubious about the prospect of complete reversal of diabetes. Please do not stop your daily glucose monitoring. (I am not suggesting that you have.)

It is absolutely fantastic that you have lowered your A1C, no longer require insulin injections, and may or may not presently require Metformin.

However, once someone has stepped over the line of full insulin resistance, there is no return to complete normalcy in insulin/blood sugar regulation. At least, that is my understanding. I do hope, for many people's sake, that I am wrong, but that is my understanding.

I wish you continued success with your health and fitness.
  • mariahk35
    Options
    that is so very wonderful. I love the added benefits that come with losing weight and eating healthy
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing Richard! This gives me hope for my dad.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

Hate to say it, but they're right.:ohwell: It cannot be reversed. It can be controlled and managed but you cannot simply go back to eating a normal diet based on carbs without experiencing high blood sugars. It's alot more complicated than that. I'm after tight control, which means as close to normal blood sugars as I can get.

bloodglucose101.com

ETA: this means my targets are a great deal lower than the ones my doctor is happy with.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    And hypertension.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options

It depends on which type of diabetes it is. Type 2 is reversible. Type 1, not always.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!