I don't like what I see

Options
I have been losing weight, which is good... right? But I have been overweight for a long time. I'm older (48). My skin is not responding and 'shrinking' as I shrink, and it is dang ugly!! Is anyone else dealing with this?? I want to look better... not worse! I don't want to be all saggy and wrinkly! I understand that here in Canada if you lose over 100lbs you will qualify for plastic surgery to help with the extra skin, but I wasn't that heavy. I just don't like what I see right now. Any advice? Anyone else dealing with this?

Replies

• RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Jergens offer great skin firming creams and lotions. There is a few out there...go for the one that enhances elasticity.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    personally for myself I rather have saggy skin than to stay overweight and miss out on things like rollercoasters and life in general...money can be saved and surgery can happen..I know wearing undergarments are helping me a lot..keeping things where they need to be so far lol...im just gonna be happy to get in a nice one piece with a sarong...to cover my jiggly thighs LOL
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have been losing weight, which is good... right? But I have been overweight for a long time. I'm older (48). My skin is not responding and 'shrinking' as I shrink, and it is dang ugly!! Is anyone else dealing with this?? I want to look better... not worse! I don't want to be all saggy and wrinkly! I understand that here in Canada if you lose over 100lbs you will qualify for plastic surgery to help with the extra skin, but I wasn't that heavy. I just don't like what I see right now. Any advice? Anyone else dealing with this?

Sorry you are feeling bad. I have told myself that this is the way it will be for me (hanging skin) because I am no spring chicken either. I would rather be healthy then fat any day of the week. I will buy girdle's if I have too to hide it.

Good luck to you! :smile:
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, use lotions with ingredients to improve elasticity and hope for the best. Whether your skin will recover or not may depend on how elastic your skin is to begin with. I've heard some people say that lifting weights can help (I'm not sure how).

I agree with one of the other posters, I'd rather lose the weight and deal with the saggy skin. I've lost 50 pounds and have some wrinkly skin around my navel but it's a far sight better than the rolls I had before! Like stretch marks, my loose skin is a trophy of my hard work!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Think I need to become Canadian real quick! I understand what you are saying, I worry about it a lot too, but I figure at least I will be healthier- and I may get surgery if necessary but I will worry about that when I reach that point.

Use lots of lotions and exercise and hope for the best! good luck to you- maybe you have good skin recovery genetics? (we can certainly hope so, right?)

eta: don't give up though, better to have lose skin than a heart attack or stroke
  • wahwahwah2
    Options
    Your skin will naturally be more prone to sagging and changes in texture from weight loss due to your age and the fact that your skin doesn't have as much elasticity. The only way you can really prevent it is to slow down your weight loss (maybe only a few pounds a month to a month and a half) while also making sure you're drinking enough water and getting enough vitamins and minerals and protein. How your body is on the outside will reflect how it is on the inside. You can also work on building muscle to see if that helps!
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Think I need to become Canadian real quick!

I know right!! :drinker:
    I think more ppl might actually try harder here in the states if they could get free surgery for skin removal. That was a huge fear of mine for the longest time. I have since come to my senses and realized it is better to be healthy than worry about hanging skin.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Yep. My skin was nicely stretched out from all the fat. Now its a bit saggy and wrinkled....especially on my legs.

Am I happy? Not as happy as I COULD be. Am I thinner and healthier? Very much so. Its a trade off. And its my own fault....if I had done this 20 years ago, I wouldn't have the problem. Still, I would rather be 50+ pounds lighter. I still look amazing in clothes, if I do say so myself. :)
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Building lean muscle will help to fill in some of the sagging skin, in a healthy way. Lotion will help to hydrate your skin and drink lots of water. Then wait and accept whatever happens. Congrats on your weight loss journey!!!
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Skin takes time to shrink down, just give it time. That being said, you can help your skin firm up by incorporating weight lifting into your exercise regiment if you don't already.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I am 42, do it!!. how bad do you want it???
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of saggy, wrinkled skin. I just keep going because what else is there? It's not causing any health problems, so no reason for surgery. Yes, I'm in Canada and it's only free if your surgeon says you really need it (re: chronic infections).

If you want suggestions, drink water, lift weights, and use skin creams/lotions. No guarantee they will work, but it can help ease the mentality of sagging skin.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. How much have you lost? How fast?

I have not experienced this and I'm about your age ..older actually.

I lost slow, mindful of protein, drank water and strength trained. I definitely recommend strength training for more reasons than one.

Good luck!
  • arithmomancy
    Options
    The reason lifting weights helps address sagging skin is because the increase in muscle mass fills the skin out.

If you're developing sagging skin, you should lose weight more slowly. Sagging skin results when people lose weight too quickly and their skin can't compensate. Age and genetics are both factors because skin with less elasticity will be more prone to sagging.

I suggest picking up a weights routine (I really like Body For Life for a good all-body routine that is appropriate for people of any experience with lifting, especially beginners) and slowing your rate of weight loss to no more than half a pound a week. Yes, it'll take longer to get to your goal weight, but at least you won't look like a deflated balloon when you get there.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I'm near your age and haven't lost enough weight yet to see loose skin, buy I am concerned about it so I've been dry-brushing because I read some articles where people swear by it. I figure it might help, and can't hurt. Even if my skin turns out saggy it'll at least be soft and smooth. :)

I got my brush on Amazon...it looks like this:

41jr--GbPvL._AA200_.jpg
  • LoseWithLaurie
    LoseWithLaurie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Skin's elasticity is almost entirely determined by genetics. The weigh lifting does help the appearance of the loose skin because the muscle fills up some of the space previously occupied by fat. Aside from the surgery, the improvements are minimal, but dont get discouraged. Do the best you can<3
  • wknmom
    wknmom Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I have lost about 60lbs over 3 years. There have been ups and downs along the way. I have always been faithful at working out, even at my heaviest. I don't have wrinkly skin on my arms or legs, it is all on my tummy, and quite gross. I have considered "spanx" as one of you suggested, but I think it would be really hot!! I guess living in Northern Alberta that shouldn't be a concern in a few weeks as the temperature drops. I take a multivitamin daily and do use creams. Would vitamin E help? Anyway, there are worse problems to have, but every now and again when I look in the mirror after a shower it is just discouraging to have worked this hard and not be pleased with what I see. But it is my fault for waiting until this late to address the weight issue. I am 'reaping' what I 'sowed'.