Olive Oil--Count all the calories?

Options
This may seem like an obvious question, but is it really necessary to count all the calories from olive oil that I use to cook chicken in, etc? I hate counting them and having to deduct so many!

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Yes.

ETA: Unless you're using so much oil that some is left in the pan. In which case you would need to account for that leftover amount.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Yes. Absolutely, if it passes your mouth, it counts as whatever calories it has.

Sub in any other word for olive oil... "Is it really necessary to count all the calories from __________ that I use?"

Words: olive oil, sugar, bacon, soda, etc...

You'd never ask that about bacon and it's LOWER calorie than olive oil.

I tend to use a spritzer for oils, they're too high calorie for too low flavor/filling value... much less painful to use 1/2tsp oil vs 1tbsp.
  • batgirl_273
    batgirl_273 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yes. Absolutely, if it passes your mouth, it counts as whatever calories it has.

Sub in any other word for olive oil... "Is it really necessary to count all the calories from __________ that I use?"

Words: olive oil, sugar, bacon, soda, etc...

You'd never ask that about bacon and it's LOWER calorie than olive oil.

I tend to use a spritzer for oils, they're too high calorie for too low flavor/filling value... much less painful to use 1/2tsp oil vs 1tbsp.

i agree... i use as little olive oil as i can to get my cooking done... olive oil is a good fat to have, and its so much bette to cook with, but it is high in calories... just use as little as you can. 1/2 tsp usually serves me well for a pan full of veggies or meat.
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I think it's logical to have to count some of them, but I question counting ALL of them. I mean, I put a tablespoon in the pan, swirl it around until it's just a sheen on the pan. How much of that oil is actually getting soaked into my little piece of chicken? In this case, doesn't at least some of it evaporate or stay on the pan?

It won't ruin my calorie limit if I count all of them, I'm just curious :laugh:
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It doesn't evaporate. Use less in the pan (or use less in a smaller pan).
  • whierd
    Options
    I think it's logical to have to count some of them, but I question counting ALL of them. I mean, I put a tablespoon in the pan, swirl it around until it's just a sheen on the pan. How much of that oil is actually getting soaked into my little piece of chicken? In this case, doesn't at least some of it evaporate or stay on the pan?

It won't ruin my calorie limit if I count all of them, I'm just curious :laugh:

Not enough of it evaporates in the time you're cooking to make that big of a difference.
  • sunsetzen
    Options
    Ok, it doesn't evaporate, but why does all the oil go into MY chicken and not any of the other 5 pieces I'm cooking?
  • whierd
    Options
    Ok, it doesn't evaporate, but why does all the oil go into MY chicken and not any of the other 5 pieces I'm cooking?

You didn't say that you were cooking multiple pieces of chicken. Oy.
  • sunsetzen
    Options
    My bad. I think I'm confused (so very tired). Forgive me!!

I guess dividing it amongst the other food would be logical :embarassed:
  • whierd
    Options

Yeah, that would be my first inclination.

Or cooking my piece in a separate pan for the most accurate result.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you probably should. What I do when I cook with it, is spray it from one of the fill it your self misto pump bottles that you can buy in a kitchen type store or online.

I was curious to see how much it took to cover a piece of fish I was sautéing, weighed the fish raw with no oil, then weighed it raw after misting.....it was abut 2 grams. That's 18 calories according to one listing in our data base. One tablespoon is 120, so it makes a lot of sense to invest in something like that pump mister!

Good luck. And, on the bright side olive oil is one of the good fats so at least you are getting something good out of it! ????
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You should count all of the calories because there is just absolutely no way to determine how much is left in the pan, etc. Also, the difference in how many calories may or may not have been left behind are going to be so nominal that it won't really matter. You're going to drive yourself batty trying to visually calculate fractions of teaspoons.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Yeah, that would be my first inclination.

Or cooking my piece in a separate pan for the most accurate result.

This is what I do...today did my baked red skin FF in the oven in the same pan as my sons but in a seperate area.

Cooked Shrimp today for supper...cooked his afterward.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    MFP recipes are great for this. Let's say you're cooking 4 4-oz. chicken breasts in 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Create a recipe, tell MFP how many servings it makes, add the ingredients, and save. Now instead of entering the ingredients each time you sauté chicken breasts, use the recipe. Obviously, sautéed chicken breast is really simple, but I have about 100 recipes I've created in the last 8 months (I cook a lot of different foods), and each time I make the same thing again, or have leftovers, I've got the food all ready to enter. It helps to review and edit ingredients if you make changes.

Just be honest about the quantities. If a serving for you is 2 of those 4-oz chicken breasts, then say that the recipe serves 2, not 4! Or if you set it up for 4 servings, and you eat 2, record 2.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Here is the difference in Olive oil and Crisco. Olive oil has monounsaturated fats, which are good for you. Crisco and many other oils have saturated fats or trans fats. These are the heart blockers. So calorie per calorie, olive oil is better for you.