Low-Carb Diet

Options
First, let me start with a little back story;
I was my goal weight of 55kgs back when I was 17-18. Then I settled down, got married and had a baby lol. Now at 21, Im 65kgs. Now, Ive tried fad diets (Dukan, low calorie, HcG etc.), they were great...until I stopped.
I've tried clean eating with exercise; my weight maintained.
So I gritted my teeth and paid to see a nutritionist.
He said that I should try a low carb diet, cause it seems that may be the only weight loss program that may actually work to get through my 65kg 'plateu'.
He gave me recipes and a shopping list, and said try this for six months without any real explination of what it is. All he said was that it will put my body into ketosis and Ill lose weight.
3 questions.
A) Whats Ketosis?
B) Has anyone had any experience with Low Carb diets? If so, can you please share? (:
C) Any ideas on exercise? I have Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, but he said I should just do gentle exercise for the first few weeks.

Thanks heaps guys (: x

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto

Go directly to 'Keto in a nutshell' and proceed from there.
    Good luck! :drinker:
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've tried no-carb, and that was difficult for me. I now do moderatley-low carb. Kinda weird, i know. I only eat one serving of complex carb at breakfast and one at lunch or dinner. I also dramatically increased my protein to feel full, and crave carbs less. Snacking with veggies helped moderate random cravings.

As to exercise: do you have a gym membership? If so low impact/ gentle exercise would be eliptical, bike, and weight lifting.
    If no gym: bike riding outdoors and walking. Also lift stuff around your house, that is a good place to start weight lifting.

Why do i recomend weight lifting? Because increasing your lean muscle mass will lead to an increase in your daily metabolisim. That means you will turn your body into a calorie-burning machine! Just listen to your body, don't do anything that causes pain. Burn is okay though!
  • hannah_d1989
    hannah_d1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing low carb. I too have tried many diets, and this one seems to be the best for me. I enjoy the foods i'm eating, and have been losing weight quicker than any other diets. I have decided to hold of weighing in for a few weeks, and seem to feel that after losing quickly on this diet, it has now slowed down considerably... But everyone is different so this may not happen for you!

The diet is hard to get used to at first but it gets easier!
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I eat a primal/paleo diet that is natural and unprocessed foods. It is generally low carb. I stay under 75 per day usually. What I can tell you is that I feel great! I say try it, maybe give yourself a week or so to adjust before making up your mind.

I would add that if you are very active, you may need the carbs for quicker energy though. So, a lot of how your body will deal with it depends on how you live and exercise.

Best of luck!
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You don't need to add carbs for quicker energy. The body converts fat to glucose just fine and that is what is burned for energy. I life heavy, and do 2 hours of cardio a day and have tons of energy. Most people have more energy after the first few weeks on low carb. I currently do 50 grams of net carbs and a minimum of 100 grams of protein a day.