Help!!!

Options
Help I'm gaining weight and I shouldn't be my weight is already effecting my health I'm not feeling very motivated into getting my rear in gear and up off the coach portion sizeing is my fatal flaw and I can't seem to control it any advice I don't want to disapoint myself or my doctor.

Replies

• clairegogogo
    Options
    why is it you "shouldn't be" gaining weight? What's your eating/exercising routine? more info will be helpful.

also, motivation is key, you gotta find it!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I kept telling myself I should lose weight, but I wasn't doing what I needed to do to actually lose weight. When I started doing that, I started to lose.

What I had been doing was trying to eat healthily, to get more exercise, and to eat slowly and mindfully. All good things, but not enough.

What I needed to do was honestly count every calorie that I took in, using a food scale, and make sure that the daily average was 500-750 calories below what I need to maintain my weight. Once I started doing that, I started to lose weight.

By the way, I recommend reading John Walker's free online book The Hacker's Diet (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/). It's not for everyone, but I like Walker's emphasis on solving a problem instead of agonizing over its causes, and his use of simple math to turn a daily scale weight into a useful measurement, despite the fact that our weight varies so much from day to day.

Portion control isn't easy, especially when you're used to eating a lot more. But you have to do it if you want to lose. I read somewhere recently that when a lot of people say, "I want to lose weight," what they really mean is "I want to be thin," not "I want to do the work required to lose weight." You've got to be committed to the work, which is going to be rough, as well as the result.

Good luck!
  • maab12
    maab12 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling Im in the same place you are right now I am working on getting the eating under control going to the gym and walking is killing my knees so im waiting a few weeks to go back feel free to add me
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Help I'm gaining weight and I shouldn't be my weight is already effecting my health I'm not feeling very motivated into getting my rear in gear and up off the coach portion sizeing is my fatal flaw and I can't seem to control it any advice I don't want to disapoint myself or my doctor.
    Motivation comes from within. No one can do it for you, if you don't do it 2014 will be just like 2013 or worse. Make a plan and stick to it start with an exercise routine something realistic just walking 30min a day and also some calorie restrictions..maybe 1500 a day to start you have to do whats right for your weight and height....take control and make changes....IF YOU WANT SUCCESS.
  • morningdove43
    Options
    I hear you - my motivation has been gone for a week or more. I'm almost at 60 pounds gone and it's like I have some major mental barrier about "letting" myself lose anymore. This probably isn't really helpful to you, other than to say you're not alone and to tell you that I am NOT going to give up, so please don't you either. We can do this!!
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    You have to WANT to lose weight or you won't.

Tips:
    - Don't drink soda
    - Don't drink your calories in general
    - Get moving! Even if you just walk around your block once a night.
    - Eat protein! It makes you feel full.
    - Eat better quality foods (no processed foods)

If you're having a hard time, cut out one thing (like soda) and slowly cut out other things and increase your movement.
    Surround yourself with people who motivate you. It's so much easier to lose weight with other people and to have someone to encourage you.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration and would love to offer some advise but not enough information, however, some simple questions could be,

Are you weight training? You may gain pounds initially and be slower to see the scale move
    How may calories are you eating? Shouldn't be below 1200,
    How much sodium are you eating? Should be above 2500, but safer to keep it around 1500mg
    How much water areyou drinking? Aim for the 64oz, but if you workout it will need to be more
    Do you drink a lot of alcohol? A lot of people can drink and loose but some can't

What is your sugar intake, etc etc, there are so many variables to why you may be gaining. Do some research and see what needs to be fixed

Good luck!!!!!
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you know what the problem is, you now how to fix it, now you just have to DO IT. I wish you good luck.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I have been here. Dozens of times, I've been in this place where I was sick of being fat. But not sick of it enough to do the work. My parents started doing the work and I saw all of them a couple months after they began. They looked better. They religiously logged on mfp. And I realized it was time to stop making excuses. The next day, I started using mfp. Do I want to just give up some days? You bet. There's this pho restaurant next to my grocery store and the smell is so tantalizing. I walk through the bakery every time I go to the store and I see cookies and donuts and want to just throw in the towel. But I'm finally just too sick of being fat to not care about how much I put into my body
  • SmartAngieT
    SmartAngieT Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your support it means a lot to me I have high funtioning down syndrome and sensory processing issues it's been difficulit in coping with it each day but I do what I can to cope with it that's why I love using holistic & homeopathic remedies and healing methods it really helps keep my sensitive nervous system and gift of empathy in balance when my self control is not and that happens a lot being a young woman with a hormonal inbalance is harder than I thought I do not drink soda anymore except on special occassions & holidays I don't normally drink acholol I'm more of a herbal tea and water person I don't exercise as much as I should because of the motivation & encouragement thing because I live on my own and my friends aren't always around I know they would help if they could it can feel quite lonely sometimes but I do know I'm not alone because Jesus is right there next to me even if I can't easily see hear or feel him