Has anyone tried whey protein?i need some feed back please

Options
Hi(:
Okay so I just recently got whey protein and I have been using it for the last three days and i like it but i read something that says it makes you gain weight and i am trying to lose weight I got it because I need to add protein into my diet because protein helps build muscle and weight loss right?
I use one scoop for 150 calories and 30 grams of protein and I make two shakes a day im only 123lbs and 5'1 is that alright?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Many people here use whey protein.

Unless you have an underlying medical condition, no, it will not cause you to gain weight UNLESS you are eating at a caloric surplus.

300 calories and 60g of protein, in and of itself, will not make you gain weight.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Many people here use whey protein.

Unless you have an underlying medical condition, no, it will not cause you to gain weight UNLESS you are eating at a caloric surplus.

300 calories and 60g of protein, in and of itself, will not make you gain weight.

great post right here.
    any weight gain would come from eating at a surplus.

also, just wanted to ask, what protein are you using? just curious...ive gone back and forth between 2 brands, both are 30gr protein at 170cals per scoop.
  • xXWisconsin
    Options
    super advanced whey protein isolate its 130 calories for one scoop not 150 but its still 30 grams of protein
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I've been using Body Fortress - Super Advanced Whey Protein from WalMart. It has 140 calories per scoop and 26 grams of protein. It was one of a few that were recommended to me by a dietitian at a weight loss center. I also don't believe that you will gain weight with your whey protein. It is good for you. One thing I do is that I make mine using unsweetened vanilla almondmilk, which has only 30 calories per 8 oz cup. I put 2 cups of it with 1 scoop of the whey protein powder. I hope some of this helps you out, considering that the dietitian said it was good to have this.
    Amy
  • xXWisconsin
    Options
    I've been using Body Fortress - Super Advanced Whey Protein from WalMart. It has 140 calories per scoop and 26 grams of protein. It was one of a few that were recommended to me by a dietitian at a weight loss center. I also don't believe that you will gain weight with your whey protein. It is good for you. One thing I do is that I make mine using unsweetened vanilla almondmilk, which has only 30 calories per 8 oz cup. I put 2 cups of it with 1 scoop of the whey protein powder. I hope some of this helps you out, considering that the dietitian said it was good to have this.
    Amy
    Thanks(: its good to know that dietitians say its good for you
  • rdcphone572
    rdcphone572 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of coffee creamer.

See: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread9636.html#
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I use my Optimum 100% Natural Whey all the time. Normally I'll mix it with a box of chocolate pudding since they seem to go well together. I wish they had more options on whey without Sucralose or fake sweetners in it thats not plain.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I started drinking Protein shakes again a couple weeks ago, I use to prior but had stopped because I felt I was having less results with it. However, I went back on it because my Cross-fit coach recommended it, plus I wanted to do something to increase my protein. Since being on it though, my weight loss has stalled, so I am giving it a couple more weeks and if nothing, I may come off it again.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I use Whey protein also. Trying to build muscle and lose fat. I use Dymatize Elite Protein powder in vanilla. It has 24 grams of protein and 120 calories (I think).

the only problem with this one is that I am getting hungry within 1 to 1-1/2 hours after drinking it with 1% milk. Any suggestions from anyone here??
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I use it almost every morning in my breakfast smoothie... 1/2 c whey protein (I use The Organic Whey) with 1/2 c blueberries, 1/2 c raspberries, 1 tbsp chia seeds and 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk.... yum!
  • xXWisconsin
    Options
    I use Whey protein also. Trying to build muscle and lose fat. I use Dymatize Elite Protein powder in vanilla. It has 24 grams of protein and 120 calories (I think).

the only problem with this one is that I am getting hungry within 1 to 1-1/2 hours after drinking it with 1% milk. Any suggestions from anyone here??
    maybe you need to up the protein to stay fully longer?? im not an expert but i heard it helps for some people
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Yeah, eat something 1-1-1/2 hours after drinking your shake. :tongue:
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Y WOOD U WHEY UR PROTEEN? JUX USE DA SCOOP!
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Yeah, eat something 1-1-1/2 hours after drinking your shake. :tongue:

^This. It supposed to be used a diet supplement (ie - give you more protein), not a meal replacement. Eat when hungry!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Y WOOD U WHEY UR PROTEEN? JUX USE DA SCOOP!

Not sure if serious but either way, for those who are particular about logging, a friend on here weighed her scoop and it was off by quite a bit. Plus it's how they list the serving on the label.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options

This is more of a personal preference but if i need to stay full from just a shake. I will add 1/2 cup of oats and blend it. Sometimes a tablespoon of peanut butter.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If whey protein leaves you hungry, change to casein. It keeps you fullest the longest and makes a thicker shake. Whey is quickly absorbed and casein releases slowly. Casein protein is almost made from milk, but from the curds. It has about the same nutritionals as whey.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Hi(:
    Okay so I just recently got whey protein and I have been using it for the last three days and i like it but i read something that says it makes you gain weight and i am trying to lose weight I got it because I need to add protein into my diet because protein helps build muscle and weight loss right?
    I use one scoop for 150 calories and 30 grams of protein and I make two shakes a day im only 123lbs and 5'1 is that alright?
    You are being silly. I usually have over 90g of protein every day. Sometimes this consists of whey protein. In shakes, in yogurt, in pancakes...I've managed to lose all the weight I intended to. Whey has nothing to do with weight gain. The only time you gain weight is when you eat more then you consume. It doesn't matter what type of food it is.
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    Well I'll be..... It doesn't get clumpy in your coffee? Great idea!
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I wish I could use mine as coffee creamer, but those are big scoops and I don't drink that much coffee anymore.

Complete Pro 40: 20g protein 101 calories per scoop. The other day I mixed some of that with a cup of Greek yogurt, a tablespoon of PB2, and eight ounces of milk. I didn't try to calculate how much protein it had, but it made for a pretty good post-workout drink.