C to 5K success

Options
I just want to encourage those of you who have started or are thinking of starting the couch potato to 5k running plan.
I have never been good at sport. This was not helped by the fact that our phys ed teacher thought it would be beneficial to humiliate and embarass me at any given opportunity - looking back now I see that he was actually just a crap teacher and if he had taught me anything about how to train then maybe I wouldn't have lacked confidence for all these years.
Anyway a number of years and 2 kids later I have decided to lose weight and thought exercising would help. People in work were talking about c to 5k so I thought I'd give it a go. I had seen a lot of people out running and thought "well I don't stop and watch them or think what a state they look so why would anyone else bother what im doing". I started in March and it has taken far longer than the programme says. I have repeated weeks, I have gone back weeks, I have stopped running before I was supposed to and walked home in the rain crying because I couldn't do it.
But tonight I did it. It wasn't fast, it wasn't graceful, but I ran 5K - non stop, no walking. I feel pretty good about myself tonight.

Replies

• tavinsmom
    tavinsmom Posts: 101
    Options
    congrats! That is an accomplishment.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You hung in there & completed it! Isn't it an amazing feeling? You may not have been gracefull, you may not have been fast, but you did it & you are a runner! Be proud & run hard!
  • marykate723
    marykate723 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Great job sticking with it!
  • ngottstein
    Options
    Good for you! It doesn't matter what it looks like; you are getting out there & moving & that is the goal!! I have never been a runner but did C25K last year & it really boosted my confidence. :happy:
  • KokowithaK
    KokowithaK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I didn't go through the C25K program as I didn't hear about it when I started running (unfortunately) but I remember starting off doing that first mile and was like 'YES!'. Such a great feeling! Great job!
  • armadillolabrat
    armadillolabrat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I bought new sneakers last week and the salesperson gave me a couch to 5k info sheet. I have been thinking about it and I believe you have helped me to decide to give it a shot. I think we may have had the same crappy gym teacher.
  • Imcharmed
    Imcharmed Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, well done. Onwards and downwards now.
  • Evilmuffin666
    Evilmuffin666 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • kaavery120188
    kaavery120188 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    AWESOME job! That is a huge accomplishment. I am on week 7 day 1. So close to the end.

Keep up the good work!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! I have tried to start that program a couple of times.. It is so hard. I did W1D1 again the other day and like you said, could not even get through the first day. It is very discouraging, but maybe running just isn't my thing. Maybe walking is or aerobics. But then again... maybe I should keep trying. I just keep telling myself if I were thinner it would be easier. I am glad you stuck with it and kicked its butt!!!! Good for you!!!!
  • nkoconnell
    Options
    Yay! I'm almost done, but may have to go back a few because I've been running on a treadmill. The other day I just couldn't face 40 minutes on the 'mill, so I threw a shirt on and went out the front door. Much different! And I still need to apologize to whoever saw me in those rather too-short shorts... :)
  • Ldenzel
    Ldenzel Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! I have tried to start that program a couple of times.. It is so hard. I did W1D1 again the other day and like you said, could not even get through the first day. It is very discouraging, but maybe running just isn't my thing. Maybe walking is or aerobics. But then again... maybe I should keep trying. I just keep telling myself if I were thinner it would be easier. I am glad you stuck with it and kicked its butt!!!! Good for you!!!!

I did this exact same thing, but I stuck with it. When I tried the Week 1 workout on the second day, I still couldn't make it through the whole thing, but I went a little bit further than I did last time. I continued doing this. I'm currently on Week 4 (for the second time) and doing 5 minute intervals. When I first started, I never imagined I'd get to this point. You really just have to stick with it and celebrate the small victories!
  • SkyHighMama
    SkyHighMama Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great job! I am sitting here in my workout clothes after just coming in from Week 2 day 2 of C25k. It's tough. I'm going to do week 2 at least twice. I'm glad to hear that you also repeated weeks.
  • teaparty75
    teaparty75 Posts: 170
    Options
    darnit you are going to make me try c25k AGAIN ...i haven't stopped trying to jog but i just don't seem to be able to sustain for longer than 3 or 4 mins before i need to start walking for a bit then start again - thanks for the encouragement - its exactly what i needed today !!
  • shadesofblue02
    shadesofblue02 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm in Week 3 Day 2 and as the running intervals get longer I wonder if I'm going to be able to keep going! So far so good!
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • amazondakini
    amazondakini Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That is really spectacular!! Isn't it such a grand and elated feeling, when we really set our minds, and have to change even the way we think, to accomplish the goal, but then we accomplish it. This is no small thing, well done!! Thank you so much for sharing!!
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing Week 4 day 2 tomorrow!!!

So good to hear a success story. Congrats you're awesome
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! I did C25K almost a year ago. I remember the first week being the hardest and now I am going to start training for a half marathon in a few weeks! Best of luck to you and keep it up!!!!
  • foxylady522
    Options
    That is awesome! Good job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!