106 pounds lost in 6 months

Options
ewrob
ewrob Posts: 136 Member
A little over 6 months ago, I was at the highest weight of my life and suffering from chest pains at rest. I knew that I had to make some kind of drastic change, or succumb to heart disease, diabetes or some other fatal condition sooner rather than later.

I eventually settled on a vegan diet after watching Food, Inc, Forks Over Knives and this video about the leading causes of death in the United States:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30gEiweaAVQ

I decided that I didn't want to meet such an end myself.

I believe that it is possible to eat poorly on any diet, and healthfully on many. I knew that my tendency to voraciously overeat meant that I needed to eat foods that are lower in calorie density, so that I can feel full after eating 500-700 calories instead of over 1000.

6 months later, I have lost 106 pounds. Generally, reactions have either been amazement, or assumptions that I am following some crazy fad diet that will be the death of me, because "you are losing weight too fast". I am pursuing sports with my newly found health, and I don't believe that anyone who is starving or mal-nourishing themselves could ride over 50 miles on a bike, certainly not with being new to the sport the way that I am. I ride about 400 miles per month currently.

I still have some to lose, but I am getting to the finish line, and faster than I ever thought possible. Since this is an important milestone for me, I thought I would post about it.

Replies

• peggyray50
    peggyray50 Posts: 170
    Options
    Great job...but I also think that you are not eating enough. I have always been told never go under 1200 calories. But, I guess if it is working for you and your doctor approves, I am happy for you and that is an amazing accomplishment!!
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    I don't think he means he's only eating 500-750 TOTAL, I think he's trying to say that because he's making better choices he gets full on less calories at each sitting.
  • ewrob
    Options
    I don't think he means he's only eating 500-750 TOTAL, I think he's trying to say that because he's making better choices he gets full on less calories at each sitting.

Yes. I meant per meal. Previously I was eating meals that could be over 1200 calories each, like a footlong big philly cheesesteak and chips from Subway.

On average I eat something like 1600 or 1700 calories per day currently. I know that number will need to come up as I approach my goal weight, particularly considering how active I am now. I am feeling satisfied and able to perform athletically on that amount at my current weight, so I will stick with it until my body tells me it needs a change.
  • HelenTheZ
    HelenTheZ Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    All I can say, from my place of needing to lose well over 100 lb., is GOOD FOR YOU.

The more I read and get to know others, the more I hypothesize that there is not just one right way to lose weight. How can there be, when so much "diet" info is contradictory?

I say, bravo for listening to your body and basing your approach to food and fitness on your own experience!

Congratulations.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Excellent!!! Your doing what works best for you. Good job!
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Options

Yes. I meant per meal. Previously I was eating meals that could be over 1200 calories each, like a footlong big philly cheesesteak and chips from Subway.

[/quote]
    MMMMMMmmmmmm......
  • ewrob
    Options

MMMMMMmmmmmm......

Yes, it was delicious. The acid reflux and food coma, on the other hand...

You know that tired cliche, eat to live, don't live to eat? It's good advice. I'm living by it now, and while sometimes old foods look appealing, the old weight never does. It's worth it, 1000 times over.

I played baseball in high school and it has been my dream to play again for the last 10 years. It was impossible until I lost a lot of weight, and now I am playing again in an adult league. I weigh less now than I did in high school. As a side note, I did break my thumb in a game last week, but injuries come with athletics sometimes... Overall I feel like I am living a dream, doubly so because I have been highly obese for my entire adult life.
  • Lori0510
    Lori0510 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You're doing amazing! Congratulations. It's inspirational to hear about your success and the new active life you're able to pursue now!
  • MrsMX
    MrsMX Posts: 98
    Options
    So wonderful to hear (read) stories of success and even better when there is a bike included!

I've road cycled 100kms (62 miles) this week and some days could just pedal like Forest Gump ran ... (if it weren't for the traffic)

Congratulations on winning in changing your world and being an inspiration to others ...

Hope your thumb heals quick
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!