Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Question for people who have amazing abs...

2»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    I have amazing abs. I can do 57 full sit ups (no one holding my feet) in one minute. I can hold plank (hands apart and facing up, no "praying" and no teepee booty) for more than 5 minutes. I can row boat like a champ. But, b/c I'm rocking 20+ extra lbs, you can't see a damn thing.

I love having strong abs, and I disagree with people who say an workouts are useless - but they aren't a quick fix for getting a six pack, without fat loss.

they are good when your body fat % is in a range where your abs will pop ..but if you are 20% body fat ab work is not really going to help ....

She does make a good point. Having a strong core is probably more important than having visible abs for your total body fitness.

true, but strong abs =/= strong core
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    There is an old saying...Abs are made in the Kitchen not in the Gym. A friend who is a competetive bodybuilder told me abs are 90% diet and 10% excercise but he thought he was probably over emplhasing the excercise.
  • Visible abs come from a combination of genetics and overall body fat reduction, which in turn comes from a reasonable caloric deficit over time. When you lose the weight, you will eventually see abs, too.

I started to see my abs at 20% body fat after beginning a heavy lifting regimen.

same here - I can currently visibly see my abs at 20% body fat.

ETA: I clean up my diet to cut body fat and lift weights to get them to pop.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    No direct isolation ab exercise are needed to get a 6 pack, I don't do any myself. Just a caloric deficit and heavy compound lifts.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    I don't do a ton of ab isolation work but when I do I typically do weighted ab exercises. What builds them more though is doing heavy deadlifts, squats, overhead press, any heavy compound exercise. In order to get them to show though, just lose body fat.
  • michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    I first saw my abs when I hit 10% body fat on my first cut. Now they seem to stay with me on a bulk up to 14%. Once I hit 14% I go back on a cut. Now that I strength train the fat seems to go back on differently.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Great advice everyone! So I just need to keep losing. :happy:
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    I have amazing abs. I can do 57 full sit ups (no one holding my feet) in one minute. I can hold plank (hands apart and facing up, no "praying" and no teepee booty) for more than 5 minutes. I can row boat like a champ. But, b/c I'm rocking 20+ extra lbs, you can't see a damn thing.

I love having strong abs, and I disagree with people who say an workouts are useless - but they aren't a quick fix for getting a six pack, without fat loss.

they are good when your body fat % is in a range where your abs will pop ..but if you are 20% body fat ab work is not really going to help ....

We can agree to disagree. I like having strong abs *even without the possibility of showing them off* - strange, I know, the being strong just for the sake of it and not for the aesthetics. What can I say, I love to win plank-offs.
    Love it! (Plank-offs)
    I also like the concept of exercising for strength and fitness, without much regard for aesthetics. If I had to chose between strength and muscle mass, I would chose strength every time.
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Visible abs come from a combination of genetics and overall body fat reduction, which in turn comes from a reasonable caloric deficit over time. When you lose the weight, you will eventually see abs, too.

I started to see my abs at 20% body fat after beginning a heavy lifting regimen.

this lady knows..

hard working goddess ;)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    I superset fork putdowns with seated table pushbacks
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    I brush my hair for that painted on effect...
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    In for the abs.
  • kokorae
    kokorae Posts: 64 Member
    I superset fork putdowns with seated table pushbacks

HILARIOUS.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Everybody and every body is different. Here's a pic of my belly at 23% fat (measured with calipers and body tape). Hardly amazing, but definitely something was already showing back there.

lx0k.jpg

That was all kettlebells. Swings, turkish get ups etc.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Visible abs come from a combination of genetics and overall body fat reduction, which in turn comes from a reasonable caloric deficit over time. When you lose the weight, you will eventually see abs, too.

yup, abs really are made in the kitchen. lose the body fat, and they'll appear. you already have them, they're just hiding.