Rocking in a chair fit bit is countint steps. What do I do?

Options
I do childcare and I have noticed that when I am rocking in a rocking chair.. I do switch feet pressing on an ottoman that the fit bit flex is recording steps.. What should I do about that?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I got nothing
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Take the piece of machinery off and live your life.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You can't take the Fitbit off?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    smh
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,994 Member
    Options
    I am confused.

What does the device-a-ma-bob think?

Does it think you are running? Walking?

Is this proof that machines will NOT take over the world?

hal9000.gif
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Take the piece of machinery off and live your life.

Technically I think it would be an instrument. :flowerforyou:

But yeah, this.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Put it on your pants it won't count them there. This is what I do when I am in the car since I leave it on my shirt.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Fitbits are dumb calculators. Same with all those gadgets (including the one I own, the Jawbone UP.) they don't know what you're doing, they just recognize motion and count it. They don't know the difference between walking, rocking, dancing, jumping, etc.

Pretty much take it off if you don't want it to count what you're doing. That's about it. I personally wore my UP just long enough to establish a baseline for TDEE, now it spends most of its time in a drawer, and I only wear it once in a while.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Fitbits are dumb calculators. Same with all those gadgets (including the one I own, the Jawbone UP.) they don't know what you're doing, they just recognize motion and count it. They don't know the difference between walking, rocking, dancing, jumping, etc.

Pretty much take it off if you don't want it to count what you're doing. That's about it. I personally wore my UP just long enough to establish a baseline for TDEE, now it spends most of its time in a drawer, and I only wear it once in a while.

YOU'VE GOT A DIRTY WHORISH MOUTH!

TAKE IT BACK. RIGHT NOW!

:angry:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you locate the center of rotation of the rocking chair, placing the fitbit there will likely reduce any horizontal momentum and the rocking will be less likely to activate the acceleratometer.

Im not sure you can use it as a butt plug. Be safe.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Or just overwrite the time online to wipe out the erroneous steps?
  • LilithElina
    LilithElina Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm using a Windows Phone 8 FitBit Tracker app (can't really find the same panel on the website) where you can add a HUGE number of activities. For example, they have a category "Transportation" with driving a car and stuff. I always log "Riding a bus" for my daily commuting and the few steps my Zip does record by mistake are removed from my count. :-)
    Maybe you can find a similar possibility for your problem.
  • LibertyChamp
    LibertyChamp Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am finding issues with the fitbit when I am hammering or if I am riding my motorcycle. It goes into sleep mode all the time. I just have to remember to take it off for these instances. I am going to look for the tracker app and fidget with that a bit also. I think it is a good tool. If I start slacking on my activity, I will catch it sooner this way.

My lil blog:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LibertyChamp
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Yes, I am finding issues with the fitbit when I am hammering or if I am riding my motorcycle. It goes into sleep mode all the time. I just have to remember to take it off for these instances. I am going to look for the tracker app and fidget with that a bit also. I think it is a good tool. If I start slacking on my activity, I will catch it sooner this way.

<snip>

"sleep mode"? Do you mean the activity tracker (which is also used to track sleep)? Where the display flashes to let you know it's tracking? If so, unless it actually concludes you were sleeping which would only affect your sleep tracking stats, that's somewhat meaningless. When tracking, it still counts your steps. And you can delete the activity using the website.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Put it on your pants it won't count them there. This is what I do when I am in the car since I leave it on my shirt.

I've had my fitbit (:laugh: ) in my pants before & it still counted steps.
    I would take it off & put it somewhere & not count the activity.
  • LibertyChamp
    LibertyChamp Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    No, the flex actually has a sleep mode. If you keep tapping it repeatedly it will flash twin lights indicating that it is in sleep mode. To get it out of sleep mode you keep tapping it repeatedly until you get all the tracking lights to light up. You are supposed to put into sleep mode so it can track your restlessness during sleep and how many times you woke up. Try it, unfortunately I forget very often to put in into sleep mode on purpose.

My lil blog:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Quit spamming your blog.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    No, the flex actually has a sleep mode. If you keep tapping it repeatedly it will flash twin lights indicating that it is in sleep mode. To get it out of sleep mode you keep tapping it repeatedly until you get all the tracking lights to light up. You are supposed to put into sleep mode so it can track your restlessness during sleep and how many times you woke up. Try it, unfortunately I forget very often to put in into sleep mode on purpose.

My lil blog:

Ah, I did not know that. The Fitbit One uses "hold down the button" for sleep/activity mode (which many people inadvertently trigger by leaning on the button.

What a truly horrible design for the flex.