Suggestions on how to eat back calories

Options
Every day, I get the "you are eating too few calories" message. I'm averaging 1200 per day, mostly lean meat, fruits, veggies, etc. and I'm running most days. I also use my FitBit but I'm still skeptical of the calorie burn it adds. I'm eating 3 meals + snacks, I'm never hungry, and usually too full to want to eat more. I know I need to eat back the calories from exercise, but I need some good suggestions for adding back w/o stopping progress. I'd love to just drink my nightly wine for those calories, but since I gave that up, not sure that's the best approach. :) I'm also currently doing the Advocare 24 Day Challenge w/ a friend, so there are a few limitations there, but I was having this issue before I started, and I don't anticipate much changing after we're done. I know i can eat junk to get there, but I've really made a lifestyle change the past few months & don't want to derail that. Also going to be adding in strength training soon, so that will make the calorie issue even worse. Thoughts/advice? Thanks!

Replies

• hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    On days when I have not eaten enough calories I eat nuts -- like walnuts and pecans -- high cal, but good high cal.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense "healthy" foods, like raw almonds, bananas, avocado. I stick a banana in my ice cream at night. I nice 100 calories extra, potassium and fiber:)
  • LisaYon
    LisaYon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Great topic! T struggle with it too!
  • JBearsMom21
    JBearsMom21 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Just eat more! Add coconut oil or olive oil, nuts and seeds are healthy and great option to add calories. I add chia or flax seeds to oatmeal, sunflower seeds or almonds on salad (sometimes both) pistachios or cashews for a snack. You can also try adding them into your advocare shakes :)
  • ghost15026
    Options
    Every day, I get the "you are eating too few calories" message. I'm averaging 1200 per day, mostly lean meat, fruits, veggies, etc. and I'm running most days. I also use my FitBit but I'm still skeptical of the calorie burn it adds. I'm eating 3 meals + snacks, I'm never hungry, and usually too full to want to eat more. I know I need to eat back the calories from exercise, but I need some good suggestions for adding back w/o stopping progress. I'd love to just drink my nightly wine for those calories, but since I gave that up, not sure that's the best approach. :) I'm also currently doing the Advocare 24 Day Challenge w/ a friend, so there are a few limitations there, but I was having this issue before I started, and I don't anticipate much changing after we're done. I know i can eat junk to get there, but I've really made a lifestyle change the past few months & don't want to derail that. Also going to be adding in strength training soon, so that will make the calorie issue even worse. Thoughts/advice? Thanks!

1% chocolate milk after each long run. Puts a nice dent in the calorie deficit. I drink about a quart or so after a 2-3 hour bike ride. 700 calories, nice shot of carbs and protein with some fat. Casein, whey.

Relatively cheap and pretty accessible at a convenience store/gas station.