Weight Gain Suggestions Needed

Options
I have lost weight over 60 lbs due to stomach problems and now have been told I need to gain 20 lbs back by trying to get a min. of 2000 calories a day. I have tried the last 2 weeks to get calories in but have not been able to accomplish this one day yet. Needless to say no weight gain yet. I am at a loss as to how to take in the required amount my dr has prescribed. It seems like there are plenty of sites out there for weight loss menus but not much out there to gain weight back. Two weeks ago I was sent to a dietician and was given one sample meal, a few fliers with suggested foods, and this site to track what I consume in calories each day. I go to the grocery store and usually come back empty handed due to trying to figure out a menu to go by and stick to it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Eat full fat dairy products, nuts/nut butters, olive oil/coconut oil or other healthy ones to cook with and add to salads/veggies, whole eggs, trail mix, wholegrain bread, nothing "diet" or low fat, oily fish like salmon and sardines etc..
  • dimam13
    dimam13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You can use www.eatthismuch.com to build a daily menu and be sure you surpass your maintenance number. Do you know what that number is? I would imagine a dietician would figure it out then add 500 calories. Nutrition shops sell weight gainer protein powders. From 450-1100 calories in 1-3 spoons. Let me know if you'd like recommendations.
  • dimam13
    Options
    Almonds and cheese and peanut butter are high in calories
  • kalie234
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions I will give it a try. I have never had to stick to a diet before so this is all new to me.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Drink your calories.
  • kalie234
    Options
    She did not talk to me about maint. number. What is this???? Yes any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. I will take a look at the site you listed. Thanks again for your help.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    all else fails eat chocolate.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Nuts.
    Nut Butters.
    Avocado.
    Dark Chocolate.
    Cheese.
    Full fat yogurt/milk.
    Carb it up as well, potatoes, brown rice, oatmeal,whole grains.
  • dimam13
    Options
    What is your height, weight, and daily activity level from 1-5, 5 = on your feet + gym

You can send a message if you don't want to post publicly. You can either eat at a deficit, maintenance, or surplus of calories. We can figure our your number (it's called Basal Metabolic Rate, BMR) which is how many calories your body burns without activity. Then multiply by a certain number based on activity level, then add 500 calories and that should be your number to shoot for.

I am not certified by any means but I've read lots and this has worked for me when losing weight and gaining....it's all science.
  • katharynjohnston
    Options
    nuts, nuts and more nuts!
  • nino07110922
    nino07110922 Posts: 2,149
    Options
    I had to do this too--smoothies did it for me. They were sweet and tempting and didn't fill me up too much. If you're making your own, add full fat yogurt and bananas.

Excellent suggestion. Add protein to the smoothies and you shouldn't have a problem.
  • kalie234
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions I appreciate it.
  • hackernewbie
    Options
    How about mass gainers? Are they harmful in any way?
    The one I am talking about has 1250 calories in one serving (1 scoop).
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Two bananas. Two cups whole milk. Four tbsp peanut butter. Two scoops protein powder. Blend together and enjoy. If I'm not mistaken, that is over 1000 calories.
  • 1wweightloss
    Options
    Gaining weight is not a typical goal in the fitness community, so be careful what you wish for. In general, those who wish to gain weight do so for reasons.

Healthy weight gain is a slow process that requires patience and realistic goal-setting. 2. Eat breakfast. Every day. A well balanced breakfast is an excellent way.

http://www.reducciondeestomago.net/
  • GoddezzSheila69
    Options
    I would work directly with your doctor and a nutritionist that he/she recommends. Since your weight loss was due to a medical condition then you need to go that route.
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is working on gaining weight while I'm trying to lose which can be challenging!
    He drinks smoothies with bananas, yoghurt, olive oil, peanut butter, oats & full fat milk. I add more to his dinner plate & less to mine. So far he's gained around 5kg (11lb) over the last couple of months.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Burgers, fries, pizzas, donairs, etc.

Forget all those healthy alternatives. LICENSE TO BULK AND EAT DELICIOUS FOOD!!
  • avalentine419
    Options
    See now there are lots of great suggestions on here.... what do you do when you are lactose intolerant, allergic to Whey, and sensitive to protein shakes and really liquid intake of anything? I was 2 lbs shy of being diagnosed with anorexia... and have learned by trial and error.... I know that protein intake with every meal is imperative.. I can't take in carbs without a protein counterpart.

In direct response to your post: I think discussing it with the doctor who is fully aware of your situation first is probably best, and devising a meal plan that best suits your situation may work well. Good luck!
  • indigofire1201
    Options
    I would like to know how many calories I should be consuming to reach 120 pounds. Am currently 109, up from 107, but that's taken 3weeks. MfP gave me a calorie goal of 2300. Should it be higher? I've been struggling to reach that most days but have persisted to try over 3 weeks and will continue to. Support would help.