help someone...!!! seriously demotivated

Options
i have been exercising rigorously for the past three weeks.. one hour of elliptical and alternating with a hiit routine workout and total body strength training.. i have also had problems with my my metabolism before when i used to be on fad diets, but everything seems fine now except for weight loss.. not even an lb off..:( i have always fluctuated my entire life.. n have never been consistent.. but now wen i want to be consistent eat healthy and exercise, my weight puts me of.. i am demotivated.. also i see lotta ppl suggesting in more calorie intake ... i am scared to do that in fact paranoid.. will a 7 day cleansing diet kickstart my weight loss?? i have heard about ppl having a plateau wen they near their goal.. but i have jus started..!! how FRUSTRATING can that be.. someone please help.. puhleeeeezeee...

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Set your diary to public so people can see what's going on food wise. Do you weigh and measure everything you eat? Do you track everything? Are you hitting your calorie goal? Going over? Going under? Do you eat back your exercise calories or are you using TDEE method?
  • muhsina89
    muhsina89 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    just set it to public.. i try to eat as natural and whole as possible.. except that i am a tea person and i take it.. i dont eat my calories back.. there is always a deficit.. also i don't use the tdee method either.. i had lost a lot of weight before my pregnancy but piled it all back since then i have been inconsistent.. also i always overestimate my calorie intake and underestimate my calorie expenditure jus so to be clean u know.. i am a lil paranoid too.. lol.. i have been literally count in n eatin n also entering it since the day 1.. :(
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    just set it to public.. i try to eat as natural and whole as possible.. except that i am a tea person and i take it.. i dont eat my calories back.. there is always a deficit.. also i don't use the tdee method either.. i had lost a lot of weight before my pregnancy but piled it all back since then i have been inconsistent.. also i always overestimate my calorie intake and underestimate my calorie expenditure jus so to be clean u know.. i am a lil paranoid too.. lol.. i have been literally count in n eatin n also entering it since the day 1.. :(

You realize that MFP sets your calorie goal up with a deficit already? If you told it you wanted to lose 2 lbs a week the number you're given has 1,000 calories taken out of it. That's why the site wants you to log and eat back the exercise calories so you net your goal.
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Don't mean to sound harsh but had a look through the last few days...a watermelon for lunch and a cucumber for dinner with a couple of chocolate biscuit in between? Seriously?! You simply can't expect to be able to fuel the exercise you're doing with that kind of calorie intake.

I'm no expert but I read a lot on here from people that are and I suspect what's stopping you losing is you are not eating anywhere near enough. It's a bitter pill to swallow but try upping your intake, increasing your protein, keeping an eye on sodium, drinking lots of water...and report back in a few weeks.

All the best on your journey.:flowerforyou:
  • muhsina89
    Options
    i dont get it.. i am sorry.. like cud u give me an example.. i am not good with the calorie math.. :embarassed: TIA
    also please share ur tips please.. how did u lose so much?? cant wait for my ticker to be like yours..:)
  • fabtofat
    fabtofat Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I know how frustrating it is for the weight not to come off when you work really hard. I am insulin resistant and it takes more more effort than most ppl to shift weight. Whereas, everyone would shed 10/15 pounds with what I do in a month. I have shed 0.5lb in a month. It is very demotivating but I would recommend that you keep at it and find friends on MFP who are in similar situation as you. There are loads of people who are struggling with similar issues.

Secondly, as the the person above me said you need to let MFP do its job and calculate calories for you. It already does that. You don't need to over and under compensate.

Thirdly, it looks to me that with just your food intake you are not even taking in 1200 calories. You need to at least consume that many calories for you body not to go in starvation. I would not over/under compensate and make sure you are at least eating 1200 calories a day so your metabolism is not slowing.

Fourthly, you may be one of those people who build muscle quicker/faster. I would recommend that you take your body measurements and not on scale and see if there are any differences.

This is a long and hard journey but don't give up. make changes until you have found your balance.
  • muhsina89
    Options
    i know i know.. i jus am so confused.. i have to blame it on myself.. but i am jus way too scared to up my intake.. btw watermelon is filling and that isnt fine?? please do lemme know.. coz most ppl say its fine to have those filling fruits..
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    i know i know.. i jus am so confused.. i have to blame it on myself.. but i am jus way too scared to up my intake.. btw watermelon is filling and that isnt fine?? please do lemme know.. coz most ppl say its fine to have those filling fruits..

It's fine, as long as you MEET your calorie goal, or at least get close to it. Some people like to leave 100-150cals to accommodate any under-calculations.
  • muhsina89
    Options
    thanks so much for those kind words.. seriously.. i was so skeptical to post on forums n let myself in it .. like a tortoise.. but hearing ppl share there experiences does make a difference.. i am a very impulsive person.. sometimes all i think of is losing weight.. sometimes all i can think of is binging when my scales dont favour me.. i am caught in between them...:sad:
  • RachelBiancaxx
    RachelBiancaxx Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I really don't think she's doing that badly with her calories, I've had worse days myself. And, honestly, if she was creating a massive deficit she would be losing weight, that's science for you.

Make sure you weight and measure everything you eat and don't get too caught up on the scale. Get a tape measure and follow your progress that way.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    Options
    I really don't think she's doing that badly with her calories, I've had worse days myself. And, honestly, if she was creating a massive deficit she would be losing weight, that's science for you.

Make sure you weight and measure everything you eat and don't get too caught up on the scale. Get a tape measure and follow your progress that way.

Actually, a deficit too large will stall weight loss. And 1200 cals isn't enough for someone who's already burning 600 from exercise and not eating them back.
  • RachelBiancaxx
    RachelBiancaxx Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Actually, a deficit too large will stall weight loss. And 1200 cals isn't enough for someone who's already burning 600 from exercise.

Yes, but it would take longer than three weeks to stall. And she's eating more than 1200 some days.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

You realize that MFP sets your calorie goal up with a deficit already? If you told it you wanted to lose 2 lbs a week the number you're given has 1,000 calories taken out of it. That's why the site wants you to log and eat back the exercise calories so you net your goal.

^This
  • snazzyjazzy21
    Options

Actually, a deficit too large will stall weight loss. And 1200 cals isn't enough for someone who's already burning 600 from exercise.

Yes, but it would take longer than three weeks to stall. And she's eating more than 1200 some days.

And some days she's eating 600. If she's not losing weight, it's because she's not eating enough, which is obviously the cause. Increase calorie intake, body has enough energy to function properly, body loses weight.
  • oregonduckgirlie
    Options
    Read to 7 day cleanse, then had to reply. DO NOT DO IT! I am not speaking out of my you know what; I have studied nutrition for four years and have done a dietetic internship. Cleanses do not work.. The weight loss is temporary, and them it comes back (and usually with company) quickly. The reason for this is that when you do a cleanse or crash diet (,1,200 net calories), your body goes into starvation mode (for people with higher BMIs than average starvation mode may be higher). This means your body will lose fluids (plasma, the water inside your tissues, etc.), fat (not just the stored fat, but also the fat that protects your vital organs, makes up the brain, and insulates you), all fat soluble vitamins, hormone regulation (most hormones are built on saturated fat due to its structure of double bonds and stability), PROTEIN (muscle are built on protein, protein is also the last energy source, and some hormones are built on protein), Carbohydrates (uses glycogen in tissue (1g glycogen= 3 grams H2O)), and finally, bone density. As someone who has osteopenia as a result of years of inadequate nutrition, I can tell you that restriction and cleanses are not the way. Instead of spending $100s on fad diets and cleanses, go to a licensed and registered dietitian (NOT a "nutritionist"), if the problem persists.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    i dont get it.. i am sorry.. like cud u give me an example.. i am not good with the calorie math.. :embarassed: TIA
    also please share ur tips please.. how did u lose so much?? cant wait for my ticker to be like yours..:)

To start with, all you have to do is look at the bottom of your diary. Ideally, you should be eating as close to "Your Calorie Goal" as possible. Log your food and try to eat that much. That number already is set to help you lose - it isn't what you burn. Looks like you're doing a great job logging and that's a good habit....just up your calorie intake and fuel your body. If you have had metabolism issues before from not eating properly, then this likely makes sense to you. Don't talk yourself out of it.

Also, when you first start exercising, it's normal for your muscles to hold onto a store of glucose and water. That will level off after a while and not hide the losses. In the meantime, the exercise is still benefiting you.

Hang in there. Eat food. You're doing good.
  • muhsina89
    Options
    i read some were that the calorie counter arent that precise as they term to be and thats the reason i always undersestimate the calories i burn. one hr of elliptical shows i burn a rough 800 cal whereas when i enter i minus 200 n enter... i dunno if this is right or wrong .. i alternate my days with a fitness blender 1000 cal routine.. which has hiit and total body strength training... i underestimate that too coz i take breaks and do.. but i make sure i complete it.. oh god what am i doing WRONG?? i am sooo confused... i have sleepless nights.. sometimes i wake up in the nite thinkin that i shud burn a 100 cal and then go to sleep.. am i pushing myself too hard.. if only my scales said another story..:huh: