How much is a 'cup'??

Options
Could anyone help me out with this seemingly vague method of measurement....?? Haha, thank you!!

Replies

• katschy
    Options
    It's a measuring-cup cup, i.e., 8 fluid oz (ounces are different for solids). :)
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    1 cup = 8 fl oz
  • Avalon203
    Options
    Thanks guys...how many grams would this be...? I need 2 cups of flour for a tortilla recipe...:noway:
  • cbirchett58
    cbirchett58 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How is that vague? You've never seen a measuring cup before? I'm not trying to be rude I just don't understand.
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    1 cup of flour is 128 g

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Cup-to-Gram-Conversions/Detail.aspx

Happy tortilla-making!
  • mario284
    Options
    8 ounces is approximately 226g
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    a cup is not a weight measurement it is a volume measurement. 1 cup = 250 ml = 8 fluid oz. You would have to measure it and put it on a scale to see the weight. Different types of flour will weigh different amounts for the same volume, so use the volume not weight if that is what the recipe calls for.
  • erickirb
    Options
    8 ounces is approximately 226g

but an 8 oz cup of something that is not water will not weigh 8oz. 8 fluid oz is different than the weight of 8oz. Just like 1 litre of water weighs 1 kilogram, but 1 litre of milk will weigh more than 1 kilogram. you cannot mix and match volume and weight measurements.
  • Avalon203
    Options
    haha cbirchett everyones responses on here confirm how vague the measurement is because there doesnt seem to be a standard weight for one cup, I know your not being rude, Im from the UK and dry ingrediants are measured in grams here. We tend to use kitchen scales and weigh things like that. It seems the american way is with some set size of measuring cup......? An American on this site has kindly given me a recipe but the flour amount needed is in cups and I dont know how much this is. I think I'll try half way between the answers ive been given for an average and hope for the best! thanks guys :flowerforyou:
  • cbirchett58
    cbirchett58 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can go to google and type in any question. Type "how many grams is a cup" and it will tell you. I do it all the time for oz. and stuff because I don't have a scale. Sorry, I figured you weren't American but being that I am I have no idea how other countries work lol
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    How is that vague? You've never seen a measuring cup before? I'm not trying to be rude I just don't understand.

Measuring cups are mainly American. I've never had one and I don't know the measurements either!
  • erickirb
    Options
    haha cbirchett everyones responses on here confirm how vague the measurement is because there doesnt seem to be a standard weight for one cup, I know your not being rude, Im from the UK and dry ingrediants are measured in grams here. We tend to use kitchen scales and weigh things like that. It seems the american way is with some set size of measuring cup......? An American on this site has kindly given me a recipe but the flour amount needed is in cups and I dont know how much this is. I think I'll try half way between the answers ive been given for an average and hope for the best! thanks guys :flowerforyou:

The best way to do this is to zero out your scale with a measuring cup that can hold 250 ml. Once it is zeroed out fill the cup to 250ml and get the weight that way.
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options

A lot of UK measuring jugs have cups marked on them as well as litres, ml etc. If you have one, but it only has fl oz on it, then a cup is up to the 8 fl oz line. It might be worth a look if you have one. Having said that, I find I much prefer to measure by weight rather than volume (especially for cooking from scratch and for calculating calories) as using cups as volume for things like flour can really vary depending on how much you pack it down, whereas weight is just a weight!

Good luck

Erika