hCG Injections

Options

Replies

• conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I have friends that did this and lost weight but they starved while they were losing it and they've put all the weight and more back on.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that did it. She was a psycho b*itch from hell while on it, didn't lose all that much weight, and ended up putting a lot more back on than she lost. Plus the added bonus of her metabolism being screwed up and having a difficult time losing weight the correct way.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    The Mayo Clinic says that it is both unsafe and illegal in the US.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/an02091
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    been there done that. I lost some weight but it was VERY hard to eat 500 calories a day and I probably wouldn't do it again. plus the hcg is not what is helping you lose the weight it is the 500 calories you're eating basically starving yourself. you will lose weight, but not fun
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Do you know where HCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin) comes from? It's a hormone released by a fertilized egg after conception. It's the hormone that pregnancy tests look for... In pregnant women's urine. That's where it comes from... Pregnant lady pee. Yup. Gross. If you want to inject yourself with a hormone that is extracted from another person's urine, well, have fun.
    Dang... As much as I had to pee when I was pregnant, I could have made a fracking fortune off this fad. Before my time again. :(

LOL^^^
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I think it's because of the 500 calorie diet that people lose the weight and the possible placebo effect of the hcg.
    Nothing more than that, imo.

Exactly, if you want to starve yourself thin you can do it without the drops/injections and still enjoy the muscle loss, headaches, dizziness, hair loss and assorted health issues.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Those doctors may not be quacks, but do those doctors actually care about their patients? No. Are they just in it for the money? Yes. As we all know weight loss and fake beauty are the quickest way for these doctors to make a dollar.

I worked for quite a few doctors who actually helped people, that was every one of their opinions on "med spa doctors".

I don't think anyone was trying to get on you or dog you for "wanting to know more" but you asked in a public forum and people gave their opinions. Whether you liked how they came across or not.
  • cathmaow
    cathmaow Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Several patients have entered my Emergency Department for this nonsense so called diet.
    Have a calorie deficit and workout.
    End of story.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Hcg does not help with weight loss. The HCG diet has people eat total 500 calories, that's what drops the weight.
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Several patients have entered my Emergency Department for this nonsense so called diet.
    Have a calorie deficit and workout.
    End of story.

^^ She is a smart chickie and my weight loss hero. Good advice.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify for the people who are getting all amped up over this post, I think I did state I'm asking about it for curiousity's sake in an attempt to educate myself on things. Not because this is something I'm convinced I want to do and I'm too lazy to attempt working out. I've obviously had successes from natural and healthy weight loss. It really doesn't kill you to know about different things that exist. Medical spa doctors are in fact educated doctors that handle a variety of issues as well. I'm not going to some quack doctor and saying "please make me not fat anymore." I have never heard of anyone who had these done and figured there's got to be people out there that know someone and can give a factual experience of how it went for them. Thanks for the information!

By definition (not mine, the FDA) any doctor who prescribes HCG for weight loss IS a "quack doctor". The FDA disapproved the use of HCG as a weight loss aid in 1974.

Here is the specific language from the FDA:
    FDA-approved uses for prescription HCG products include female fertility and select hormonal treatment in males, and FDA has not approved prescription HCG for any other uses, including weight loss. Current scientific evidence does not support the claim that HCG is safe and effective for weight loss or for the treatment of obesity. In fact, FDA labeling for the approved HCG drug products requires the following statement about the use of HCG for weight loss:

“HCG has not been demonstrated to be effective adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity. There is no substantial evidence that it increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction, that it causes a more attractive or ‘normal’ distribution of fat, or that it decreases the hunger and discomfort associated with calorie-restricted diets.”

FDA is aware that healthcare professionals sometimes prescribe prescription injectable HCG for unapproved uses such as weight loss. FDA understands that sometimes approved products are used to treat conditions that the products were not approved for (i.e., “off-label” uses). The “off-label” use of products usually presents greater uncertainty about both the risks and benefits because less information is available on safety and effectiveness.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/BuyingUsingMedicineSafely/MedicationHealthFraud/ucm281834.htm

The evidence is pretty definitive, and has been for almost 40 years, that HCG is an expensive placebo.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    i am on hcg and loving it. i am not hungry and i am not dying and fyi hcg doesnt come from a pregnant womens pee its a hormone that pregnant women store in there body so there fetus doesnt starve if they are not eating properly. I know several women and men on the hcg diet and have had great results. Dont knock something until you try it yourself. If this diet wasn't healthy doctors wouldn't prescribe it to there patients. Good luck in your life style change.

original.gif
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    fyi hcg doesnt come from a pregnant womens pee its a hormone that pregnant women store in there body so there fetus doesnt starve if they are not eating properly.

no. just. no.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    i am on hcg and loving it. i am not hungry and i am not dying and fyi hcg doesnt come from a pregnant womens pee its a hormone that pregnant women store in there body so there fetus doesnt starve if they are not eating properly. I know several women and men on the hcg diet and have had great results. Dont knock something until you try it yourself. If this diet wasn't healthy doctors wouldn't prescribe it to there patients. Good luck in your life style change.
    Well, we'll see you again when it fails.

....because it will.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Reported
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

Wow. Disillusioned much?
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options

Nope. You're absolutely wrong.
  • CaeliGirl11
    CaeliGirl11 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify for the people who are getting all amped up over this post, I think I did state I'm asking about it for curiousity's sake in an attempt to educate myself on things. Not because this is something I'm convinced I want to do and I'm too lazy to attempt working out. I've obviously had successes from natural and healthy weight loss. It really doesn't kill you to know about different things that exist. Medical spa doctors are in fact educated doctors that handle a variety of issues as well. I'm not going to some quack doctor and saying "please make me not fat anymore." I have never heard of anyone who had these done and figured there's got to be people out there that know someone and can give a factual experience of how it went for them. Thanks for the information!

By definition (not mine, the FDA) any doctor who prescribes HCG for weight loss IS a "quack doctor". The FDA disapproved the use of HCG as a weight loss aid in 1974.

Here is the specific language from the FDA:
    FDA-approved uses for prescription HCG products include female fertility and select hormonal treatment in males, and FDA has not approved prescription HCG for any other uses, including weight loss. Current scientific evidence does not support the claim that HCG is safe and effective for weight loss or for the treatment of obesity. In fact, FDA labeling for the approved HCG drug products requires the following statement about the use of HCG for weight loss:

“HCG has not been demonstrated to be effective adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity. There is no substantial evidence that it increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction, that it causes a more attractive or ‘normal’ distribution of fat, or that it decreases the hunger and discomfort associated with calorie-restricted diets.”

FDA is aware that healthcare professionals sometimes prescribe prescription injectable HCG for unapproved uses such as weight loss. FDA understands that sometimes approved products are used to treat conditions that the products were not approved for (i.e., “off-label” uses). The “off-label” use of products usually presents greater uncertainty about both the risks and benefits because less information is available on safety and effectiveness.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/BuyingUsingMedicineSafely/MedicationHealthFraud/ucm281834.htm

The evidence is pretty definitive, and has been for almost 40 years, that HCG is an expensive placebo.
    ^^^This^^^ I am a medical investigator for a state board and had to do an investigation into something like this. all of the above is what you need to read before embarking on something like this. The reason people lose weight on this "diet" is because it is calorie restrictive and it asks you to exercise which is what you should be doing yourself anyways. If you use MFP and log your calories and exercise as MFP suggests you will get the same results of a .5lb to a 1lb loss a week.
    However, this is your choice. You said you wanted to do research...^^^ there it is:)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    My mom did this. Yup, lost weight, because that's what happens on 500 calories a day. Then she put it back on. She KNEW it was unhealthy and did it anyway. Now she realizes it was a terrible idea.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Save your money on the injections and just eat 500 calories a day. That's why you lose weight on that "diet."
This discussion has been closed.