Vidya makes me lose weight. Probably. Hi.

Options
Hello, I've been using the app for quite a while to track myself. It was sort of like stumbling on an interesting sidequest to my life. That's how I'm seeing it. I eat some stuff, run some stuff and I get a score.

Excellent. Been doing that my whole life. Scores are my addiction.

I didn't really plan on talking on the forums but I thought someone might see my point of view as interesting. I realised I'd let myself go a bit one day and looked into getting myself back in shape. I never thought I'd like it so much! I've lost 20lbs from just improving my running from nothing at all to a few miles a week and keeping my calorie intake at a good 'score'. Suddenly getting healthy was my new favourite game(well, one of them at least).

A funny analogy if nothing else, yes?

Let's hope it's still interesting enough when ESO is released or all will be lost, including my slimmer waist...

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what you are talking about.

^^^ yeah
  • Mechanikitty
    Mechanikitty Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    tl;dr

I've been using the MFP app as a sort of game. Meeting my goals being a good score. I like to think of losing pounds as progressing levels.

I'm very bad at explaining.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I understood your gamer analogy - and I think it's great. A lot better than saying, "Oh, I have to do this again today and it's so tedious!" Whatever makes it fun and sustainable for you. Watch out for that new game. lol
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I get your analogy. I am a numbers and reports geek and a (former) gamer. Everyday on here can be viewed as a pure numbers game of surpluses and deficits, gains and losses like a logic problem real-life adventure. ESO (Elder Scrolls, right?) being released won't affect me any. I was a GTA, Saints Row etc fan mostly. I like stealing cars and splatting pedestrians. :tongue:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    tl;dr

I've been using the MFP app as a sort of game. Meeting my goals being a good score. I like to think of losing pounds as progressing levels.

I'm very bad at explaining.

I thought you might have been using a translator or something. It makes stuff sound wacky :laugh:
  • Mechanikitty
    Options
    I was a GTA, Saints Row etc fan mostly. I like stealing cars and splatting pedestrians. :tongue:

A former gamer? GTAV is surely too much of a temptation for a even a retired hit-and-runner, haha.

And, yeah. Elder Scrolls Online. I fear I shall have to leave this world and travel to Tamriel once more and if it's half as good as I hope then I don't expect I shall return... In fact I mean not to. I really like running, I've kept it up for a few months now so I can't really imagine quitting now. I should be fine.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I like it.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Wow, I should go to bed...I swear I thought this said, "Vodka makes me lose weight"

What a letdown.
  • Mechanikitty
    Options
    "Vodka makes me lose weight"

Said no one(sober) ever.

Sorry to disappoint, anyhow!
  • Typhanee83
    Typhanee83 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Wow, I should go to bed...I swear I thought this said, "Vodka makes me lose weight"

What a letdown.

I read Vodka too. And I still don't get it. :indifferent:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I get it. I give myself Epic Quests and such all the time. Going to the grocery store is a side quest and working earns me biweekly loot.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    And ESO being released will probably be the biggest disappointment of my life if they screw it up.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You may also like Fitocracy.
  • Mechanikitty
    Options
    Have some faith in good ol' Bethesda! They took on a big challenge, some may think it's too soon but I say go for it. It'll never flop as badly as FFXIV in any rate. Of which I beta tested the new ARR. I think I was more disgusted by the game the first time.

Fitocracy looks cool, I'll check it out thanks. I should really be doing things other than running because I was shocked to find my new 'size smaller' cargo pants had become fairly tight around my calves and baggy on my thighs. I absolutely do NOT want runner's legs. No, sir-ee!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I was a GTA, Saints Row etc fan mostly. I like stealing cars and splatting pedestrians. :tongue:

A former gamer? GTAV is surely too much of a temptation for a even a retired hit-and-runner, haha.

And, yeah. Elder Scrolls Online. I fear I shall have to leave this world and travel to Tamriel once more and if it's half as good as I hope then I don't expect I shall return... In fact I mean not to. I really like running, I've kept it up for a few months now so I can't really imagine quitting now. I should be fine.
    :laugh: True, true. But I'm trying to wait until Christmas to get it. I'm afraid of getting sidetracked. I guess I could hook the play the X-Box on the treadmill somehow. Or take up playing Biggest Loser for the Kinect of something. Won't be half as amusing as running people over though.:grumble:
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Try the app Zombies, run!

https://www.zombiesrungame.com/

Can't wait to get back to it!
  • Mushiemallows
    Mushiemallows Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yay! Gamers!
    Massive fan of GTA and Saints Row and Elder Scrolls n_n But I also love the Half Life games and Portal.
    Meeting your calorie goal is kinda like getting an achievement!
  • darlingyellow
    darlingyellow Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use the MFP app on My phone, My tablet AND my computer...It seems like a game to me as well!

As long as my daily intake is below goal- I win for the day! If that means I have to run 2 miles to do it, I do.
    That naturally morphs into me trying to beat my own records of how fast I can accomplish those miles.
    It's a game with actual results...we aren't wasting our time clicking buttons (which is fun too) lol

This has become one of my most successful addictions to date :P