Eating right when tired

Options
Why is it that when you've had a couple of bad nights sleep and you're exhausted you automatically want to reach for anything sugary / carby and eat it all?

Maybe if I can understand it I can try and stop myself!!!

I've logged for the day to try and prevent any naughtiness on my part (i'm not adverse to giving myself treats but I do have a tendency to go over board!)

Why does tiredness = poor eating habits?

Replies

• shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Purely because you're tired and your body knows sugar and carbs will give you an energy boost!
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Probably your body looking for a quick and easy energy boost.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Why does tiredness = poor eating habits?

Well it doesn't for me, I control it, but the above posters are correct as far as I know, your body wants energy.

Try some oats with peanut butter, or some servings of fruit :)
  • nino07110922
    nino07110922 Posts: 2,149
    Options
    I find that whenever I work out in the evening (about 50% of the time), I come home from the gym FAMISHED with a sweet tooth. My weakness is chocolate ice cream. I just worked it into my plan. One cup of fat free is 260 calories. I burn that in 30 minutes of intense sit ups at the gym, or 20 minutes on the elliptical. I just plan ahead... then enjoy my ice cream every flippin night. It gives me a "cheating" feeling of satisfaction, but I stay below my overall calories, and have been losing consistently.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    It's not "your body" telling you anything, it's you giving in to poor choices, which is made easier by being sleepy. It's similar to overeating when intoxicated. Your inhibitions and self control are weakened.

Plan your meals and make sure that you always have solid alternatives available in your fridge.
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    Options
    There actually is a scientific reason involving sleep deprivation, cortisol, and appetite/hunger. I'm not a scientist, so I'm not the best person to try to explain it to you, but I understood it when I read it. My good friend Mr. Google should be able to help you if you ask him about cortisol + sleep deprivation + appetite or hunger. HTH!
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. When I'm tired I crave junk food way more than when I'm not tired. Too bad I'm tired all the time at the moment!!!
    I try to have a hot drink with artificial sweetener if I'm really craving something sweet in the evening. Or some fruit.
  • nicole_andan
    Options
    :frown: Unfortunately it becomes all I think about and I can eat and eat without stopping. Unfortunately being tired also makes me emotional... I'm having a bad day... I need a hug... and to go back to bed!

:cry:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    :frown: Unfortunately it becomes all I think about and I can eat and eat without stopping. Unfortunately being tired also makes me emotional... I'm having a bad day... I need a hug... and to go back to bed!

Go to bed and feel better!

Gifs-puppies-33275272-400-250_zpsf25ffc62.gif
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

Minus the emotional part, I too just ate and ate when I lacked sleep. All I wanted was junk food and it didn't help that I also work nights. Once I got my sleeping habits in check, the tiredness and wanting to eat all the time improved over time.
  • Xtinesky
    Xtinesky Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    http://www.dailycal.org/2013/08/07/insufficient-sleep-leads-to-unhealthy-eating-study-finds/

"In a UC Berkeley press release, Walker said that the sleepless brain begins to have trouble with complex judgments and decisions and instead compensates with increased activity in primal brain structures that focus on motivation and desires."