Breakfast protein shake and meal at bedtime. Bad?

Options
So, I wanna start to run my daily life on nothing but a protein shake for breakfast, 15 minutes of jump rope, 2-3 sets of ab workouts, 30+ push ups and a meal before bedtime.

I weigh 180 ish and have literally never worked out in my life. I just want to know if it will affect my health in any way to start this eating and diet exercise.

Replies

• TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    SHORT: It won't work!

EXPLANATION: An average adult will need 1200 calories a day to keep their body systems running smoothly. If you only eat/drink one protein shake a day, you are eventually setting up your body for failure. You will read it all on these boards that the best way to lose weight is to actually up your foods (pref's clean foods) and increase exercise activity all whilst maintaining a healthy calorie deficit. Without this, your body WILL crash.
    Also, keep up your food intake by eating constantly (3 meals plus 2 between snacks) to keep your metabolism going!
  • ForLife365
    Options
    Do you mean that the calories of the protein shake and one meal would be making up your entire suggested daily calorie intake (e.g. 1500 cals or whatever your target is between the two)? If this is the case then eating this way won't affect your health as far as I understand but if this is a way to dramatically cut calories to less than what's recommended by MFP then that would of course be an unhealthy way to lose weight.
  • maximuSario
    Options
    Gee, Thanks.
    Haven't really read anything on here or looked up any diets (supposing none work).
    Didn't think eating more would help me.
    Guess it all depends on what I eat like the fella down there said.
    Sure am glad i found this little handy website.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    ^ All good! There is quite a bit behind it, but it's all simple enough. Just remember to eat (even if it's something small) to keep your metabolism going - that's the main thing in this game!
  • maximuSario
    Options
    Yes, Ma'am.
    Are you on here daily?
    Cuz I usually have a butt load of questions...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    here is the secret formula for weight loss..pay attention I am only going to say this once...

eat less (500 cal deficit a day) + work out more = lose weight...

thats all you need...
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    In it's simplest form as long as you are eating the correct amount of calories it doesn't matter how or when you eat them. "Correct" means not too little and not too many.
  • maximuSario
    Options
    so some ppl say less calories work out more, others say at peak calories work out moderate? which is what will make me lose weight and not feel sick like i do right now???? I wanna hurl...
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    SHORT: It won't work!

EXPLANATION: An average adult will need 1200 calories a day to keep their body systems running smoothly. If you only eat/drink one protein shake a day, you are eventually setting up your body for failure. You will read it all on these boards that the best way to lose weight is to actually up your foods (pref's clean foods) and increase exercise activity all whilst maintaining a healthy calorie deficit. Without this, your body WILL crash.
    Also, keep up your food intake by eating constantly (3 meals plus 2 between snacks) to keep your metabolism going!

Tamara and the others are right. All you will need to do is eat at a deficit and you will lose weight. You will need to eat at least 1200 calories because that seems to be the magic number below which your body's metabolism will slow down. I don't mean immediately, but if you routinely eat below 1200. An occasional dip below that will not be an issue.

I've got your age and weight (ish). How tall are you? Let's see if we can look at a couple of the online tools for suggestions about how many calories you should be eating. We're on each other's friends list now and I'm here every day so if you have any questions, you can always send me a message. Like I said, I love to help, especially those in my own community.