Building up from HIIT to running 3km straight- help!

Options
Jenlwb
Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
Hi folks,

Help needed- I signed up to run the 3km part of a relay marathon on 25 Oct. But I need to build up to it. I'm at my goal weight and have good leg strength (Stronglifts 5x5), and I do HIIT intervals. But my endurance sucks.

I have a 3km circuit near my home with 100m markings all around. Usually I run 200m and walk 100m when I do intervals. But when I tried running it steady-state last night I could only manage 300m at a time before a 100m walk break (lungs screaming :sad: ). I might add it's 37c temperature even in the evenings, but things will improve by oct!

Any Android apps recommended? Can any of the C25K apps be adjusted to 3km? I don't want to change the distance due to the track length, I can only do multiples of 3! Also if i go longer my arthritis kicks in.
Any advice on how to build up to it?

Much appreciated! :flowerforyou:
Jen

Replies

• SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I would use C25K. The goal is to be able to run 5km OR for 30 minutes, which at a fairly steady pace is about 3.5k. As you already run intervals, I would start from about week 4. Hope this helps! Do ping me a friend request if you'd like a supportive running friend! :flowerforyou:
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen,

I worked up to running a 7KM in about 2 months, so a 3KM will definitely be achievable by October.

The best thing I can advise is to slow down! when I first started I was running so fast I could only last about 100m and was so tired and out of breath. Once I slowed down I could do slow jogging for about 1Km, this boosted my confidence which made me want to try further and faster every night!

So after that I managed to slowly jog 2.5KM (with walking when I was out of breath, nothing wrong with taking a breather) and got myself used to breathing correctly etc. Then once I felt that 2.5KM was getting easier I pushed it to 5KM, and after 3 weeks of persistently beating my 5K time, I pushed it up to 7K.

Best app I found was RunKeeper, you can make your own routes to fit your goals, or you can just go running and a lady will tell you every 5 minutes how far you have ran and what your pace is, I love this app!

Just want to add I run 5 days a week, Monday through Friday.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    train for 5. you will be able to comfortably run your 3 faster.

i doubt you'll need to start in wk1 if you are already running intervals for hiit.
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Thanks ladies, that's all good stuff. I did suspect I started out by running too fast, I need to tell myself it's not an interval so I need to pace it!

Is Runkeeper GPS based? The GPS on my phone is crap. I may have to go with the c25k app instead. And I will take your advice and start a few weeks into it.

Happy running,
    Jen
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Train, train, and train.

You wont get there without training regularly, do what you can and gradually do more everytime :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    When you start out running, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different from anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

More of my beginner's running tips here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Good luck with your training! :flowerforyou:
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Great list of tips Berry. I will try to go slower but it's hard, kind of like when you're riding a bike and you feel like if you go slower you'll fall off!
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Both Runkeeper and Runtastic use GPS. You can use them in conjunction with C25K too, just use C25K as the playlist. Go for it x
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Running is a specific physical skill. Any physical skill requires practice to become efficient at, no matter how overall fit you are. I see incredibly fit people come in for Grappling practice and quickly end up heaving on the side of the mat because they haven't adapted to that specific type of movement.

Specific practice = specific skill = specific outcome.
  • sarah2002
    sarah2002 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It's HARD running when it's hot out. I find myself melting when its any hotter than 20C, but then I'm a total wimp when it comes to heat. I suspect that when it cools down, you will find it much, much easier. Until then, take it slow, and make sure to hydrate!
  • Jenlwb
    Options
    Thanks guys! It seems impossible at first- but so did lifting, I never imagined I'd be able to deadlift my own body weight, and I gradually built up to that. So now I will apply the same principles and optimism to running and practice alot.

And I'll drink lots of water of course Sarah, even so, when i finish my face will look like this :mad: !!

Jen