Anyone heard of Zero Noodles?

Options
2»

Replies

• Karrrrl
    Karrrrl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I know what these are!
    I lived on these last year during my no carb diet days!
    They're pretty disgusting I wont lie, but with a bit of practise you can make some pretty good meals with them :)
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Thank you Nixy for being so durn convincing.

Thank you too Laura_beau.

I work not far from Japan Centre and Chinatown in London so will definitely pop down and check them out. One day when it's not raining!

I was already prepared to give them a try, as noodles don't really have any taste on their own and I'd only be adding them to meat, veg and some kind of sauce. And I don't mind paying a bit extra as it's not something I'd be eating every day of the week anyway.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Dammit!

I really need to get on one of these quick fix schemes so I can make my millions. I think I just don't understand my target audience.

So, to recap:

You want to buy expensive food, that has no taste, and no nutrition?

Can you tell me how people convince you to do this? I think I understand some of the basics, like 'latest thing' or celebrity endorsement, I just need to get the hang of the buzz words and pseudo science before I can make launch a product.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Re having no flavour - how much flavour does the noodle in your singapore vermicelli or pad thai actually have? It's a bland base around which you concoct your dish.

And don't go into it thinking they will be yucky.

Rinse, dry fry, use - then say thank you Nixy for being so durn convincing :laugh:

haha, I'm on it!!
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    The first time I read about "miracle noodles" I did a bit of research on them. There are health advisories out there saying that if you are going to eat them make sure you also consume more than your normal amounts of water as the main ingredient in them can lead to intestinal blockages.

Then again, if they have a funky smell I'd rather stay away from it in general, honestly to make myself eat it it needs to be appetizing!
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    As far as I am aware they've been around for donkeys years - they are just being repackaged as miracle noodles to jump on the diet bandwagon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirataki_noodles There you go, not a fad, just never been picked up by the dieting brigade until fairly recently.

For people who
    - like noodley food but don't want the calories
    - combine them in a stiry fry for bulk - you gets yer protein from yer meat and yer fibre from yer veggies and you get the feeling of being a fat knacker who has stuffed their face without the huge carb load/calorie count.

Personally I like glass noodle type noodles anyway - slightly too many noodles in that sentence.

Horses for courses init - as always no diet is worth eating something you don't like.
  • BernadetteChurch
    Options
    As far as I am aware they've been around for donkeys years - they are just being repackaged as miracle noodles to jump on the diet bandwagon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirataki_noodles There you go, not a fad, just never been picked up by the dieting brigade until fairly recently.

For people who
    - like noodley food but don't want the calories
    - combine them in a stiry fry for bulk - you gets yer protein from yer meat and yer fibre from yer veggies and you get the feeling of being a fat knacker who has stuffed their face without the huge carb load/calorie count.

Personally I like glass noodle type noodles anyway - slightly too many noodles in that sentence.

Horses for courses init - as always no diet is worth eating something you don't like.

I like you Nix143!
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've actually bought them. they're called shirataki noodles in the grocery market. i bought them thinking this is great! 0 calories and i can have pasta!!! honestly, they come in a plastic bag with a HORRIBLY foul smelling liquid to keep them moist.

What - you don't like sucking on your socks after your workout?? Seriously, they do smell bad, but if you rinse them with clear water, the odor goes right away. I personally like to pan fry them in a little PAM to firm them up, also.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    The only way I can eat Shirataki noodles is in soup. But I'm willing to give this dry frying business a go. If they weren't so stinky, I'd have an easier time with them. I rinse them, a lot, but I can still detect the odor.

I don't think Miracle noodles are exactly the same as Shirataki. Close, similar, but not the same. I ate a stirfry with cellophane noodles but I'm not sure if that's what this is. I did like it though.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It's nasty lol

It sounds nasty. I don't care for Asian noodles anyway. I prefer rice.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Shirataki update for those who hate preparing them: I discovered today microwave meals using shirataki noodles. Marinara, coconut curry, and I think ginger teriyaki. They were right next to them, and they were all under 200 calories. I hate the smell of them, so I'm hoping that this will take that element out and make them easier to enjoy.
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Why bother? I've just cut out the noodles/rice and have loads of lovely veg in my stir fry instead. Still have real noodles if I have enough cals for them otherwise its bok choy, spinach, peppers, onion............ Get vitamins this way too
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    The marinara meal is one of my least favorite things eaten in life ever. I couldn't bring myself to eat more than one bite.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have a full drawer of shiritaki noodles because I love them. As mentioned before: DRY FRY! I seriously rinse about 2min and then dry fry for at least 5min, sometimes close to 10, and it completely changes the texture. I've had them with marinara and yeah, they're slightly chewier than regular noodles, but they take on the taste of anything you cook them in so when I've had them in marinara sauce, I cook them in the sauce a few minutes after dry frying. They're super filling and once you know how to prepare them right, they're pretty darn good
  • BernadetteChurch
    Options
    I have a full drawer of shiritaki noodles because I love them. As mentioned before: DRY FRY! I seriously rinse about 2min and then dry fry for at least 5min, sometimes close to 10, and it completely changes the texture. I've had them with marinara and yeah, they're slightly chewier than regular noodles, but they take on the taste of anything you cook them in so when I've had them in marinara sauce, I cook them in the sauce a few minutes after dry frying. They're super filling and once you know how to prepare them right, they're pretty darn good

Thanks for that. I'm going to give them a try, out of curiosity if nothing else.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Plan B

order them from Amazon

Shred the over-packaged Amazon box - serve it up alongside the "Miracle Noodles" [sic] and do a taste comparison.
  • Cockney365
    Cockney365 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bit late to the party but just read this - will be popping along to Holland Barrett today to buy a pack or two (buy one get one half price at the moment). And thanks in advance Nixy for being so durn convincing! You are my kind of person! :laugh:
  • happyhiker83
    Options
    I live in Japan and have eaten konyaku in its many different "native" forms. It's not a fad or an expensive novelty food here, just a traditional part of the Japanese diet. It's typically sliced into very thin strips and added to stir-frys, or made into jelly for low-calorie desserts. It can also be cut into cubes, lightly grilled, and topped with sweet miso sauce (my favorite). I've seen konyaku noodles in supermarkets, but I'm not sure how they are prepared. My guess is that it goes into stir-frys.

The extremely high fiber content is what makes it so filling. It's definitely appreciated more for its texture than its taste, and is used pretty sparingly. And yes, women who are dieting use it to "bulk up" their meals and increase satiety without adding more calories.
  • lisaz3349
    lisaz3349 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOVEEEEEE these noodles. I have just recently discovered them. I am surprised people find the smell to be so extreme and offensive. Okay out of the package they are kinda funky but just give them a good rinse in the colander and you’re golden. I recommend trying them!!! I usually eat mine with marinara and other pasta sauces. I haven’t had pasta in years since I lost about 20lbs(swore off pasta and a lot of things). I feel like I can finally have that again in my life. Okay SURE they are not quite like the amazing carby goodness that is pasta but they are NOT bad! Give them a go!