Anyone use meditation?

Options
I am looking into meditation and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for where to start? I am looking for something to help with mind, body and spirit. Something to help with my anxiety and possibly change my mindset and help me get more motivated and on track with fitness. I have never done anything like this so I am not sure if I need dvd's or some kind of audio. Any suggestions?

Replies

• endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I tend to get distracted by music or talking when I am meditating, so I don't use DVDs or audio, though I have occasionally been part of a meditation that was guided by a live person. Before I started, I just checked out a few books about meditation and tried the methods that I thought I would like.

I have never really had any specific aim when meditating because when you start dealing with the subconscious it kinda has its own priorities and they come to the top regardless of what your conscious self tries to dictate. So helping with motivation, etc...I am not sure meditation is the right tool, at least not directly. Regarding anxiety, a while back I had some very deep stuff come up in meditation that was unexpected and difficult to deal with and it kind of turned me off of meditation for a while because I did not know what to do with that kind of emotion (it was squished into a tiny box in my heart for a reason). I haven't had anything as intense happen in a long time and ended up stronger by eventually working through some things, but you just never know where meditation will take you.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • amanduh9911
    amanduh9911 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Now I am a little scared! lol Thank you for the input. I am clueless to it so I guess ill just do some research and go from there. =) thanks again!
  • sprale
    sprale Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I do not use meditation, exactly, but I get some of the benefits it sounds like you are looking for from self hypnosis. For that, there are many recordings you can use. I recommend Erick Brown Hypnosis; he has tons of recordings for sale on iTunes and Google Play and also through his website: http://erickbrownhypnotherapy.com/

These can be very useful for changing habits, overcoming anxieties, becoming more motivated, and building confidence. I have probably around 15 or more of his programs on my iPod that I listen to when I want to work on an issue. It is also really relaxing, and quite safe, as you are always guided. I always feel great after listening to one of the programs. They are anywhere from 20 minutes to a little over an hour.
  • zombieyoshi
    Options
    Start with yoga, it's so good for your mind, body and spirit. If you can, go to some classes and find a good teacher, it's so uplifting and calming. My teacher used to do it in the dark with a couple night lights, and she never pushed you, it was seriously the most relaxing thing ever. It helps you learn to control your breathing and motions, once you get those under control I would think it'd make meditating easier. It also helps with anxiety and a number of other medical conditions such as IBS. It's such a great way to get in shape too, you feel so fantastic afterwards. :)
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I started with yoga.
    there is also a meditation for dummies book that is really good. starts you off slow and has lots of ideas and tips.
    There are also apps that help by guiding you. look at calm.com omvana. Buddhify is good for on the go meditation. Hope that helps :)
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I use an app called Simply Being (guided relaxation app) and have found it to be amazing at helping me relax and release the stress and worries of the day. Of course, I'm usually taking a bubble bath at the same time, so that might have something to do with it as well. :smile: I agree with going to yoga as well.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/simply-being-guided-meditation/id347418999?mt=8
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I am looking into meditation and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for where to start? I am looking for something to help with mind, body and spirit. Something to help with my anxiety and possibly change my mindset and help me get more motivated and on track with fitness. I have never done anything like this so I am not sure if I need dvd's or some kind of audio. Any suggestions?
    Do you have a Buddhist community anywhere nearby? The one here holds free lessons of sorts. They teach you breathing and posture and give tips on how to really use it.

Unfortunately, I can't do it on my own. I just can't shut my brain down. Exercise IS my meditation.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Forget about DVDs audios or anything else. Find a local Vipassana retreat and go there for 10 days. It is completely free (you donate money only after you have complete one and only if you really want to, no pressure whatsoever) and trust me, it works wonders! It is hard because it's 10 days, 9 of which you don't speak to anyone, but I can't even put in words what you will experience and how amazing you will feel after.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Forget about DVDs audios or anything else. Find a local Vipassana retreat and go there for 10 days. It is completely free (you donate money only after you have complete one and only if you really want to, no pressure whatsoever) and trust me, it works wonders! It is hard because it's 10 days, 9 of which you don't speak to anyone, but I can't even put in words what you will experience and how amazing you will feel after.

Seconded! I have been practicing Vipassana Meditation for 28 years. Its had an incredibly profound impact on my life. I have attended many 10-day and longer courses, both as a practitioner and as a volunteer. I highly recommend it.
    www.dhamma.org
    kind regards,

Ben
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Huh, just go out and run. half way though your run stop and sit under a tree. No mp3 player.

10 min or so later, get up and finish your run. Meditated. Boom!
  • Gestahl
    Gestahl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give would be to get up about an hour earlier and go somewhere that you can relax alone. You just need to take the time to start the day off right. slow and unhurried. Make a cup of tea, put on some ambient music if you prefer... just start things out without rushing, and when you feel like meditating, just do it.

The thing about meditation is that there is no set way to do it. Some people find it best to empty their minds, some find it best to concentrate on a thought, object, text, sound, etc. Some people sit comfortably, others in specific positions, and still others take walks. Whatever it is that focuses and relaxes your mind can work. Just make a habit of it, and remember that the ultimate goal is a mindset change, and that change can help you with any other area of your life.

Good luck!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to point out that not everyone can get away for 10 days at a time. So while this is a lovely thing if you can, it isn't helpful advice to anyone who can't.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I do! check out you tube! they have some great meditation videos for free. I like the ones for deep sleep and relaxation. Some can be a little crazy so beware. Heres a link to one that is very good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyy0ra2WcQQ
  • arunas999
    Options
    I used Zen for 3 months (25 mins/day) and it was very effective now I medidate according Rupert Sipra (google it) recommendations. Add me to yours frends :)
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to point out that not everyone can get away for 10 days at a time. So while this is a lovely thing if you can, it isn't helpful advice to anyone who can't.

Some do weekends. The one near me does. It's basically the first 3 days of a 10 day retreat.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    This man is my favourite. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11T3RhD2bpU

Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche. He is a runner, too.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I kind of skipped down to the reply button in excitement to answer without reading the responses, so pardon me if I repeat something.

I 5000000 % recommend you get the Andrew Johnson apps. It's like semi-hypnosis semi-guided meditation and he has several themes. I started using them for my anxiety. He has programs for stress, anxiety and panic attacks. He also has programs for weight loss, fitness, public speaking, motivation...you name it. They're a few bucks a piece and they're programmable. You can either listen to it when you want to chill out for 30 mins or you can put it on when you go to bed and he'll put you to sleep. It's VERY effective.

I've been using his apps for a couple years now. I think I have all of them :)
  • Darrowland
    Darrowland Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Get up early and walk! See if that clears your head before you spend money or search further.
  • anotherwarriorgirl
    anotherwarriorgirl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started meditating after seeing a Reiki master and experiencing a healing session. It sounds hokey, but she really just helps me get in touch with the emotions and feelings that are affecting my life. She doesn't try to predict my future, rather she brings things to light that I'm not consciously aware of. In turn, she helps me to understand my body and why I get the pains or ailments that I do. In the end, it all comes down to stress and anxiety. By healing our spiritual and emotional selves, we can heal our physical selves as well.

Here is an example: I frequently get what I thought were stomach pains underneath my diaphragm area. I usually associated this with hunger or if I had eaten, assumed that I ate something foul. We were able to work through and uncover that this is where I carry my stress. Now that I know this, I recognize when I am stressed, I start to get those pains. Instead of reaching for the nearest bag of Doritos, I try to clear that bad energy and reduce that stress.

I was introduced to it by a friend who has major anxiety and told me that it was better than any therapy or medication she has ever taken. Let me know if you have any questions about Reiki healing. I'm not a healer, but I can give you the perspective of someone who was initially skeptical, but now go regularly (every other month or so). There are quite a few resources online, but there are also a lot of websites that say it's a crock. It works for me, so I don't really care what others think.
  • anotherwarriorgirl
    anotherwarriorgirl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Deleted because I posted twice :)