New Rules of lifting for women: Yay ir Nay?

Options
Currently following (and LOVING!) the Eat. More 2 Weigh Less method and am thinking about starting lifting. Heard lots of people talking about the New Rules for Lifting for Women and have read mixed reviews. I have a few question if anyone is able to help?

1) What did you think of the book and it's plan? Did you see any results?

2) Paperback, hardback or kindle version: which is best?

3) I dont have access to a gym (couldn't afford it) but would be willing to buy equipment for use at home provided I don't need to spend a fortune. What equipment would I need?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• DellG85
    DellG85 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • princesswarrior1116
    princesswarrior1116 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the book so I can't really comment on that part of your question. However, I have and do lift weights to help me with reshaping and losing weight. I lift as heavy a weight on each exercise as I can and still maintain proper and safe form. I believe in weight lifting for women. It makes sense. Build more muscle and increase your metabolism.

With regard to not being able to afford a gym membership vs. home equipment, I have home equipment and it was not cheap to purchase, however, I also have a gym I go to. My home equipment is in my garage and I don't use it. I go to the gym. The gym was cheap to join and only costs a few dollars a month. MORE than worth it. I look at it as a small investment with a huge payoff.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    YES

or starting strength.

Either or. They are great.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have ordered the book, so I can't tell you what I think yet. :) I started lifting at home a week ago. My plan is to do as much as I can at home from reading and watching the videos in the EM2WL group and when I need heavier weights and more instruction, I will go to the gym and get a personal trainer for a few sessions to get me rolling there. I have a lot of weight to lose, so I realize it's a long road ahead. But after one week, I'm absolutely ADDICTED to lifting! I love it and how I feel! Eating more is wonderful! I have so much more energy for my life and my workouts, whatever they are. I know this is just what I needed.

Good luck to you!
  • princesswarrior1116
    princesswarrior1116 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have ordered the book, so I can't tell you what I think yet. :) I started lifting at home a week ago. My plan is to do as much as I can at home from reading and watching the videos in the EM2WL group and when I need heavier weights and more instruction, I will go to the gym and get a personal trainer for a few sessions to get me rolling there. I have a lot of weight to lose, so I realize it's a long road ahead. But after one week, I'm absolutely ADDICTED to lifting! I love it and how I feel! Eating more is wonderful! I have so much more energy for my life and my workouts, whatever they are. I know this is just what I needed.

Good luck to you!

Absolutely. It's very easy to get addicted to the great feeling of empowerment weight lifting gives you! Good luck with your endeavor, it sounds like you have a great plan in place!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    To do NROLFW or any other program that involves squatting with a barbell on your back, you're going to need a proper squat rack. You may be able to find one used via Craigslist or your local classified ads. You'd also need a bench for bench pressing, a barbell, a bunch of weights...and for NROLFW, dumbbells as well. Can't recall what other equipment is used--stability ball, for sure.

NROLFW is a great program, so is Starting Strength...also Stronglifts which is all online and free of charge.

Your best bet is to find a cheap gym that has a decent free weights selection and join up.

If you can't find an affordable gym, why not work on a bodyweight strength building program? No equipment purchase necessary, no gym membership needed. Look up You Are Your Own Gym, by Mark Lauren. There is a book and also an app for your phone if you're into that sort of thing. I hear the app is great, but I've not used it. I really like the book.

Another possibility would be to look into a dumbbell strength building program (sorry, I can't name any off the top of my head). I think you can buy a set of adjustable dumbbells and cast iron plates for a fair price.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Ok, I bought it for my nook and hated it as I had to scroll through to find pictures and tips on the correct form to lift etc.... I thought the plan was complicated and I didn't stay with it. I would much rather recommend Stronglifts 5x5, a lot easier to get started and less complicated to get into a routine. I went down a size in about 5 weeks just by following the lifting plan. Hope this helps!
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the book, but I will tell you I bought all my equipment second hand. My treadmill for $100 at a second hand shop, my weight bench and weights at a yard sale. Looking for a bowflex now. :)
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    NROLFW has a lot of great information in it (I bought the Kindle version) but I quit the workouts after stage 3. I was constantly having to refer to the book about which moves to do next and how to do them and the workouts took so much longer than what I now do which is Stronglifts. I originally checked it out from my local library, so maybe you can try that and see if you like it? Having a copy on hand to flip through was definitely easier than bookmarking on the kindle. The pages that demo the moves and the page that tells you which moves to do in each stage are nowhere near each other. Hope this helps
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I just started the NROL Supercharged and it's good so far, I'm sore as hell and the first section of the program is 45min to 1 hour. It's full body workouts 3 times a week and it's for men and women.
  • aprillcooprider
    Options
    I have not read the book but I am thinking about getting Chris Powells new book and starting carb cycling. As for lifting I do it everyday....rotating muscle groups of course. I bought a membership at the YMCA. They can do a bank draft each month and I don't get bored, as I can do many different things there. If I don't feel like a intense workout one day I can just walk or swim. I have also used canned veggies as weights and gallon jugs at home....was a cheap alternative for me for a while. Good luck! You can do it!
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I bought NROWL, read the whole book twice, and did two of the workouts. I think it's an excellent program, but you do have to really be set with references to make sure you're doing what you're supposed to when you're supposed to for each workout. There's a great group on here that could be of help to you if you want to learn more:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

I researched Stronglifts 5x5 and it's a much simpler program - I need to go with that because my brain feels so weighted (pun intended) from work I need something I can follow in a smart phone app. If you go to the Stronglifts website there is some good information about getting what you need affordably for a home workout that can be safe (at least as a beginner).

Lifting really is the way to go to look and feel great. You won't lose as much weight right away, but you'll see clothes fit better and it really does make you feel mentally stronger. I just got back into lifting after a year long break and am so happy.

One last thing. No matter what you decide to do, look at the references on the NROWL and the Stronglifts for Women (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women) groups here on MFP. There are links to youtube videos to show you the correct technique. Start out with lighter weights so you can get the technique right and get some basic strength/balance - this way you won't mess up your joints and injure yourself

*Edited to add that the Stronglifts program takes less time per workout, which also sold me
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    hi

1) yes, its a really good read. lots of good diet advice too.

2) cheapest version is always best :/

3) i think it would be much easier at the gym. its a while since i read it but i'm sure they give you ideas of alternative exercises to use if you're at home.

i found the workout to be a bit footery, so i'm doing 'stronglifts 5x5' atm - i might go back to this though when i stop getting results from 5x5.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Ok, I bought it for my nook and hated it as I had to scroll through to find pictures and tips on the correct form to lift etc.... I thought the plan was complicated and I didn't stay with it. I would much rather recommend Stronglifts 5x5, a lot easier to get started and less complicated to get into a routine. I went down a size in about 5 weeks just by following the lifting plan. Hope this helps!

Wait so you are telling me you hated a book you didn't actually read?

<gasp>

LMAO
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    don't get me wrong, i liked NROLFW but 'starting strength' is a much better book - it relates to the 5x5 programme well (think this is where he pinched it from actually) and gives really good tips on form. i could not for the life of me do a parallel/full squat before reading 'starting strength'.
  • kc7175
    kc7175 Posts: 11
    Options
    Try Drop 2 Sizes by Rachel Cosgrove .She is Alwyn Cosgrove's wife (the designer of the New Rules series of workouts), they run a gym somewhere in California. It comes as a DVD which is great because you get to know the exercises. The exercises she does in the dvd you will also find in NROL. The only equipment you need are dumbells, a kettlebell, a step and a mat. That way if you do decide on any of the NROL programs you will be familiar with the exercises and it will be easier to follow the book.
    I'm on my 9th week of Drop 2, I've lost 7 pounds and am comfortably wearing a size smaller than I was when I started the program.
    The downside to the dvd's is that the eating program outlined in her book is not included, it's workouts only.
    When I've completed this three month cycle I may do another month of her workouts before moving on to NROL4Abs.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    New free weight lifter here, transitioning from the Cybex machines I've been using successfully at the gym for six months to a bench and rack setup at home. I bought and read NROL4W and I don't regret the very interesting read, but the program seemed complicated and required more gear than I wanted to buy or make space for. So I stuck with the machines at the gym for three more months after that.

OTOH, Starting Strength has actually gotten me into getting the gear and lifting a barbell. I can't say I'm doing the program -- I haven't finished the book, and I confess I've thrown in a handful of isolation exercises because, switching from machines, it's hard to wrap my head around just three lifts doing the whole job. The author hates it when people do that. :embarassed: But Starting Strength gives a good framework, some relevant physics, and great detailed instructions for the basic lifts. I think it's especially good for geeks, because it tells you why it recommends doing certain things in certain ways.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    New free weight lifter here, transitioning from the Cybex machines I've been using successfully at the gym for six months to a bench and rack setup at home. I bought and read NROL4W and I don't regret the very interesting read, but the program seemed complicated and required more gear than I wanted to buy or make space for. So I stuck with the machines at the gym for three more months after that.

OTOH, Starting Strength has actually gotten me into getting the gear and lifting a barbell. I can't say I'm doing the program -- I haven't finished the book, and I confess I've thrown in a handful of isolation exercises because, switching from machines, it's hard to wrap my head around just three lifts doing the whole job. The author hates it when people do that. :embarassed: But Starting Strength gives a good framework, some relevant physics, and great detailed instructions for the basic lifts. I think it's especially good for geeks, because it tells you why it recommends doing certain things in certain ways.

as you get heavier and heavier you'll probably find you don't need the isolation stuff as much as you think- I did high volume squats on Saturday and I was thinking "squats" that's it- we aren't doing anything else.

Trust me- by the time I was done with 15 sets of maxing out my lifts- (ranging from 1 to 6 range- mostly 3-5 actually of reps) I was pretty spent.

The other day I did 3 bear complexs 5 reps and then super setted with walking lunges- all with 75 lb BB.... I was more than happy and totally beat down after that.

You'll find as you get heavier- picking one thing is TOTALLY okay some days. :) It's okay.

And it's okay if you don't and you throw in some extra stuff- you aren't at a point where it's going to have a tremendous negative impact. If it makes you feel better- go for it.
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    I've finished NROL4W and loved it. It is a little complicated, but I felt like I learned so much doing the research needed to figure out the workouts and how to do the exercises. There is a very active facebook group so check that out for a ton of good information.

I didn't lose a lot of weight doing NR, but my body changed so much that I'm always asked how much weight I've lost. I probably would have lost more if I'd eaten clean (or at least well...) during the program.

I do have some more fat to lose, so I have just gotten Drop Two Sizes. I'm reading it now and it sounds great so far. It has meals and workouts listed out for you day by day for 12 weeks.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options

as you get heavier and heavier you'll probably find you don't need the isolation stuff as much as you think- I did high volume squats on Saturday and I was thinking "squats" that's it- we aren't doing anything else.

Trust me- by the time I was done with 15 sets of maxing out my lifts- (ranging from 1 to 6 range- mostly 3-5 actually of reps) I was pretty spent.

The other day I did 3 bear complexs 5 reps and then super setted with walking lunges- all with 75 lb BB.... I was more than happy and totally beat down after that.

You'll find as you get heavier- picking one thing is TOTALLY okay some days. :) It's okay.

And it's okay if you don't and you throw in some extra stuff- you aren't at a point where it's going to have a tremendous negative impact. If it makes you feel better- go for it.
    Thanks for these words of wisdom, JoRocka. I'm loving it so far, really looking forward to going heavier!