Foam Rollers

Options
spiritgurl
spiritgurl Posts: 160 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I'm recovering from a running injury to my hip flexors and as embarrassing as this is, my butt too (on the right side). It's been over 3 weeks and I finally feel a big improvement today. I had a massage done on Monday and a the RMT recommended I start using a foam roller to help stretch my muscles more regularly to help in the future. Does anyone do this regularly and has it helped you? I've been searching online for some exercises to do.

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. Foam rollers are a great investment. I have a regular foam roller, a small blue rumble roller, and a large black rumble roller. I use them every day. They're great for muscle recovery and mobility. You can get them at sporting good stores, probably even Walmart/Target. They'll likely be cheaper online (Amazon).
  • kathrynm4
    kathrynm4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey

Foam rollers are great. I've used them a few times after injuries and they're really good because you can use them yourself and don't have to rely on a massage. I think they're almost as good as a sports massage, though quite painful also! I would recommend Amazon for buying one, they aren't that expensive. Hope you get back to the running soon!

Kate :smile:
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from a running injury to my hip flexors and as embarrassing as this is, my butt too (on the right side). It's been over 3 weeks and I finally feel a big improvement today. I had a massage done on Monday and a the RMT recommended I start using a foam roller to help stretch my muscles more regularly to help in the future. Does anyone do this regularly and has it helped you? I've been searching online for some exercises to do.

Foam Rollers are one of the greatest things invented.. Period. They are wonderful, Once you've used them for awhile you can work up to the really hard ones with ridges that are AMAZING!!
  • elephant_in_the_room
    elephant_in_the_room Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have a large blue foam roller which is an actual roll... And then ... A rubber ball a bit smaller than a tennis ball.
    Foam rolling is essentially passive massage of the muscles.. If it's a roll, it can only roll in one direction, along long muscles like the quads or hamstrings. If it's a ball, it can roll all the way around. That's what I need for my glutes and also the deeper muscles of the hamstrings -- the roll alone just won't do it.

Admittedly, I am grappling with this hamstring tendonitis and related problems for a year now. Yes, foamrolling helps, but only alongside rest for the injured muscle.
  • fsucrack
    fsucrack Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I started using a foam roller after I got a running injury... it was really the key to my recovery! I invested in one and it was probably the best investment that I have made when it comes to my fitness. I highly suggest the foam roller
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the foam roller. I do it every day for at least 10 minutes regardless if I exercise that day or not. It wakes up my muscles, relieves any tightness and/or kinks and just leaves me feeling great! They are wonderful to use before exercise as well as a warm up.

Good luck and I wish you the best on your road to recovery!
  • drenia2011
    Options
    They are great. My trainer has made it a important part of our streching excercise in Bootcamp.
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    my rhuemotologist keeps telling me i need to invest in one since my AS affect the tendons in my hips and i have days of major tension in my spine. after hearing yall comment on how great they are i may have to buy one now.. ive been really apprehensive about it
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    LOL! I thought this thread was about hair curlers for some reason!

Now that I know how great they are, what is a foam roller?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I foam roll daily.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I love my foam roller... Feels awesome on sore muscles after a long run.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    My evil, evil sadistic pilates trainer makes me roll out my it band all the time. Grrrr.

In all seriousness, yes. It's very important to roll it out. I should do it more than I do. But it hurts. :-/
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Best $12 I EVER spent. Well worth the $$$
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have a love hate...and more love relationship with my foam roller. It's hurts like hell, esp on your IT band but then then you feel so much better afterward...you just can't help but go for it again! LOL.

Invest in one....it's so worth it! :) I was actually using it the other night on my hip flexor and it made me tear up...but the next morning I felt a huge release in my muscles.
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Mine has definitely helped. One of the best investments I've ever made.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I :heart: my foam roller! Especailly for the glutes, outer hips, hams & quads. It's OK on the calves, too. Check out runner's world for some videos on using the roller. Helped me a ton!!
  • spiritgurl
    spiritgurl Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...some great feedback!
This discussion has been closed.