Want to start getting strong but no idea how?

Options
I have a few lbs to lose beforehand (about 8)
I climb and do aerial silks and would like to start getting really strong but I don't really understand how.
Could anyone give me an idea of what macros to hit etc and how? (I'm vegan btw)
Good weight training I can do at home? I have my dads eights in the house, my mums kettlebells and my own hangboard.
I'm 5'6" and 120lbs, if that helps and around 20% body fat.
Also any exercises I could do with body weight to start training like push ups etc and how often? Thank you!

Replies

• PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Almost 4 weeks ago I started the Stronglifts 5x5 program and I love it! In 4 weeks, my progress has been:
    Squats: 45lbs to 85lbs
    Overhead Press: 45lbs to 60lbs (it's really hard)
    Bench press: 45lbs to 70lbs
    Rows: 65lbs to 85lbs
    Deadlift: 65lbs to 125lbs

It's only 3x a week and all you need is a barbell, weights, and a bench. :-)
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for bodyweight/home workout exercises, "You Are Your Own Gym" is a great book, and there's an app that you can get for a couple bucks that goes with it. It also goes over the nutrition, which you can take the basics from and veganize. But if you don't want to invest the $15 for book and app, there's a ton of online resources, from the military ladder to playground workout programs. Google "bodyweight workout program" for endless options.

Also, take a look at http://veganbodybuilding.com/ for more info on the nutrition bits.
  • Mouseanonymous802
    Options
    Almost 4 weeks ago I started the Stronglifts 5x5 program and I love it! In 4 weeks, my progress has been:

Yeah I don't have access to a gym and all I have is a treadmill and free weights but thanks
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you have freeweights you can do StrongLifts (or another program). Unless you're talking 5 pound hand weights. I lift heavy at home, no problem. If you just have Barbie weights, go with a progressive body weight program or get some heavy resistance bands.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Yeah I don't have access to a gym and all I have is a treadmill and free weights but thanks

All of these ARE free weights. I do it in my basement. You said you have weights, which is why I suggested it.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Get the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe
  • Mouseanonymous802
    Options

No bench though and I thought dead lift was those weights with super long bars which I don't own. Sorry for being thick!

All of these ARE free weights. I do it in my basement. You said you have weights, which is why I suggested it.
  • Mouseanonymous802
    Options
    Squats: 45lbs to 85lbs:

No bench though and I thought dead lift was those weights with super long bars which I don't own. Sorry for being thick!

No bench though and I thought deadlift was the superlong bars. Sorry for being thick :ohwell: