Unable to eat the calories....can you help?

Options
Last April I decided to join MFP. About two weeks in I quit , not because I wanted to, but my job was hindering my attempts at success. Let me take a moment to explain as I know that sounds a little weak in the eyes of anyone that has taken the time to read my post (and I thank you for that)
My Husband and I have owned restaurant for about 25+ years. At one time we had 3 stores going all at once. My main "job" was to plan the meals for the day, oversee the kitchens, and general management . A few years ago hubby got very ill. I was told that he had days to live. Somehow he had contracted a Staph infection that entered the blood stream and apparently shut down his major organs. So after threatening the doctors, that I would kill every one of them if they let my husband die, my mission at that time was if hubby came through this, we would sell the restaurants and start enjoying life. I felt we had spent so much time in making other people happy that we had forgot how to be happy ourselves. We both got married at a very young age....in fact we ran away from home and got married. I was nearly 18 and he was 19 and there hasn't been a single day of regret. Well anyhoo to make a long story short....he survived and we sold the restaurants.
Coming from a food industry, an average day would be 12-14 hours in the kitchens. I would be on my feet pretty much all of that time, so the idea of sitting down and eating a meal was out of the question. So to overcome that problem I would just taste what was being made for the customers. By the end of the day the smells of the kitchen kinda made me feel sick.
So now I'm starting back with MFP hopefully to change all of the damage I've caused to my body. I have IBS which I'm on meds for and trying to eat meals. MfP has told me I need to be on 1210 calories, which after reading a lot of posts is not enough food, especially if you do not eat back your exercise calories. I go on the treadmill everyday which I love for appox 45 mins. But trying to eat full meals to come anywhere close to the calories isn't working. I'm lucky if I consume 700 calories. I thought maybe if I kept going with this, exercise and trying to eat after a few weeks it would sort itself out, but so far no change.
I like food but I don't love food....I know that sounds retarded but it's true. I have about 25-35 lbs to lose according to my stats. Please before judgement is sent down....I know that I need to eat, I want to eat. What if any suggestions does anyone have that will help me eat food like a normal person.
Thank you everyone for taking the time to read my story.

Replies

• Zalect
    Zalect Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't like the food, in your case I would treat it like a job that needs to get done. You are used to planning extensive meals. Even if you plan a 1200 calorie meal the day before, just delegate when you need to eat, eat that specific meal just to get it out of the way, and continue on with your day.

You do not have to enjoy every meal you eat, I sure don't. But eating is definitely important in your case. Hell, make a giant protein shake if you are having problems eating that much and drink it first thing in the morning.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Saute with a healthy oil, like olive oil or something. That will increase the calories a good number, and in a healthy way.

And of course, nuts. Any type of nut. Peanut, almonds, walnuts, etc.... Nuts are always good calorie fillers.
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be rude, but even though you say you have difficulty eating 1200 calories, you must have managed that before, or you wouldn't have 20+ lbs to lose - so it must be possible for you to eat more than 700 calories a day if you think about it.

However, if you've spent a lifetime 'grazing' and eating small amounts at a time, then you could just continue to eat little and often. There is no rule to say you have to fit all your calories into 3 meals a day. But in logging it all, as it goes in, you'll be more aware of what your intake is, and how it is made up - and this can maybe help you get a picture of your calorie intake and also identify foods that trigger your IBS.

The way I manage to eat 2000 calories a day is to have a big breakfast - it is often 500-700 calories. A reasonable size lunch of around 300. About 500 calories for dinner and then about 600 on regular snacks and food throughout the day - apples, nuts, nakd bars or whatever. I had IBS and cured it by giving up the things that triggered it - wheat, dairy, eggs, yeast, alcohol, and caffeine.

Good luck!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    What did you eat before this? If you have 35 pounds to lose, then you used to eat food. Not sure what has changed, assuming you didn't sell the restaurants like last month.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be rude, but even though you say you have difficulty eating 1200 calories, you must have managed that before, or you wouldn't have 20+ lbs to lose. :-) However, if you've spent a lifetime 'grazing' and eating small amounts at a time, then you could just continue to eat little and often. There is no rule to say you have to fit all your calories into 3 meals a day. But in logging it all, as it goes in, you'll be more aware of what your intake is, and how it is made up - and this can maybe help you get a picture of your calorie intake and also identify foods that trigger your IBS.

Agree that if you used to graze, just keep grazing. I tend to eat small meals and a LOT of snacks because I get hungry every couple of hours no matter what I eat during a large meal.
  • LuvDarkChocolate
    LuvDarkChocolate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Well it's just like you said I grazed here and there. I guess with just the fact I wasn't getting any exercise and very little sleep the doctors think that's what started my extra poundage, plus being on depression meds ( sorry forgot to mention that)
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I get that you spent a good portion of your life just grazing food so sitting down and eating a full meal can seem overwhelming. I would suggest you just eat more often, smaller meals more often. Also, have the higher calorie items such as nuts, peanut butter, cheese, avacado, etc. You can do it. Don't overthink it. Depending on how concerned you are with sticking to your macros and how much self control you have at stopping, you could even give yourself treats to build up your calorie level, allow yourself to have a small dessert with lunch or dinner. Yum!
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I wish I had trouble eating alot of cals. I have trouble restricting calories.
  • mmsheshe
    mmsheshe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're getting some rude comments but I want to say that I'm right there with you. I am having to get in the mind set to "eat" my exercise calories because I always felt that I "wasted" my day if I eat what I just exercised off! Mentally, I am getting there and that is a big part of it. Like some of the comments, find higher calorie counts like nuts or protein bars or shakes (slim fast, kellogs, ect...) just to get yourself to your mark. Do it as you are watching a television show or after your treadmill workout. I wish you luck!:wink:
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I agree that if you're used to grazing that maybe that's the way to go. You just need to graze on calorie dense foods that won't flare up your IBS.

Nuts and nut butters
    Avocados
    Full fat dairy (yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, cheese, ice cream etc.)
    Chicken
    Fish
    Protein shakes - find one with higher calories

I wouldn't worry too much right now about what you're consuming (other than to prevent flare ups), and worry more about getting the calories and hopefully starting to enjoy food again. Once you've achieved that you can modify your diet to be healthier if you want.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Logically, yes, you should be able to eat like you did before, except less.

But, aren`t we all trying to improve the way we eat?

If I eat unhealthy foods that are high in calories, I have noooo problem eating all my cals and then some.

But if I seriously try to eat healthy, more, veggies, lots of lean protein, a good bit of fiber, etc., then I really do fill up way before I finish off all my calories.

And everyone says, "eat all your calories", but sometimes that just tempts me to fill up with some sort of unhealthy treat just to eat my calories. Now, I dont think that is the goal for any of us!

So I do see where the OP is coming from!

Someone above said planning is very important. That, to me, is the key!

Good luck.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    wow IBS and over weight...

LIke others have said just eat what you used to but less of it. Log your foods and make your choices count.

Healthy fats like olive oil, nuts, avocadoes, really butter, full fat mik if you can handle it. There are lots of choices out there to get calories in esp if you are exercising. Ice cream...yum
  • xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I had probs at 1st eating that much too... my weight gain was from a medicine I was on... but it gets easier... now I have trouble NOT going over so just eat more & more every day & your body will adjust to eating more... Your metabolism may not be "good" right now but U don't want it 2 get where U gain on very little calories... I'm still trying 2 fix mine... If you're not used 2 eating so much u may gain a tiny bit at 1st but your body will come around...
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There are no unhealthy foods, well maybe some fast food, but food prepared at home can be healthy without being "diet". You don't have to live off lettuce, steamed fish and brown rice to lose weight or be healthy. 1200 calories is not hard to reach at all if you include full fat dairy, eggs, nuts, oils, lean meats, peanut butter, grains and a host of other things. The OP knows good food so coming up with a menu that meets calorie needs shouldn't be an issue.

I think there should be some kind of Newbie Syndrome defined. It seems to come up all the time where people who are overweight suddenly can't even consume enough to stay healthy.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    "Unable to eat the calories....can you help?"

No bother, just hand me half your food and I'll eat it for you :)
  • SouperDuck
    SouperDuck Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm a chef/manager and I understand the struggles of losing in a restaurant.

learning to not taste everything has been a struggle as well as learning what it actually feels like to be hungry (when you taste all day, real hunger is never a thing).

I drink much more water now and focus on not eating sugar, which seems to be in everything in a restaurant.

I just be sure to log my food and that keeps me on the right path. If I eat it, I have to log it and that keeps me from eating stuff.

Thanks to all this I am no longer a diabetic. I eat far less volume than I used to. I actually feel like food is fuel now instead of a pleasure item.

I really never realized how much I was eating until I wrote it all down.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I kind of know what you mean. I think that people forget that what you eat when you work in a restaurant isn't what everyone else eats on a daily basis. I too work in a restaurant, 50+ hrs a week. You eat what you can when you can. In your case it was tasting here and there. Usually high fat calorie laden sauces, gravies etc. Eating the same only less isn't an option. Not to mention you have IBS which in and of itself causes new dietary needs.
    I do think that you need to eat small meals on a regular basis. It is probably more of an issue with your metabolism, causing you to not feel hungry. Eating more often and regularly will cause your metabolism to kick into gear. You may gain a little weight getting it fired up, so don't worry about that at first. It will regulate and catch up, then you will lose weight.
    I'm glad your husband is ok. I know the stress that can cause too. My husband went through a bout of cancer last year. Chemo and radiation. Fortunately he is ok too. Stress also messes up your metabolism and causes weigh gain too.
    take some time, focus on you and give your body time to catch up.
    Best wishes.
    You can friend request me if you like.
  • LuvDarkChocolate
    LuvDarkChocolate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yes Mokey I think that after as many years as I have been in the food industry that I know how to plan meals for many people....I guess that now it's just planning for myself I'm a bit lost. I really don't consider myself as the other OP's that come on here that don't understand that you need X amount of calories in your body to reduce the weight. My problem is eating full meals. I will go ahead and try the smaller/often meals as suggested and see if that helps the scale.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a single meal that I've made in the past three months that I couldn't add one of the following to and have it be delicious:

cheese
    cream
    butter
    oil

Aside from being delicious, you DO need several servings (1 tbsp of Oil is a serving) of fats per day. There are fat soluble vitamins and minerals (ex. A, D, E, and K) that your body needs but you can't break them down and absorb them if you don't eat some fat.