Trying Yoga When You Had A Bad Knee

Options
Hi, all. =)

I decided to try yoga for the first time this morning, but wasn't mentally prepared for the difficulty I would have with it. Most especially, it was very painful for my right knee and my right wrist. My wrist only became painful when in the plank position, and my knees only when I was kneeling and my hands were on the floor in front of me. I was wondering if the pain will lesson as I lose weight, since I am pretty heavy and the stress may just be bugging my joints- or if I just need to work on strengthening the muscles around these joints?

I realize we're not all physiotherapists, but if anyone has any suggestions (other than using a softer mat to practice on or to go to classes, lol) I would love to hear them. I would very much like to get into doing this, and doing it properly. I could really feel my muscles working overtime and it felt great. Thanks -ahead of time- for any suggestions!

** Whoops, meant to say "when you HAVE a bad knee"

Replies

• CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I really need to think of an attention grabbing title, like "Fat people suck!" or something, so everyone gets mad and clicks on this so I can get an answer, lol!
  • loislenski
    loislenski Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Really don't have any suggestions. I've never been a big fan of yoga because of my wrists hurting. Maybe it goes away if you keep doing it for a long time.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Just tell your instructor ahead of time. Most likely they will ask if anyone has any special issues. And if they are a good instructor they will give you modifications throughout the class to try a pose is too dificult or painful for your knees. I think it will be amazing for you and very beneficial because it will increase your flexibility and make you stronger as you lose weight. I am a huge yoga advocate clearly :)
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    most poses can be altered. A quick easy tip for knees though is fold the mat up to double thickness under your knee for extra cushion. Also for wrist discomfort a lot of poses can be done on your elbows and forearms instead of wrists. Ask the instructor and they can help with modifications.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    It probably depends on the type/extent of the injury. I doubt there's a catch-all answer to your question, unfortunately. Personally, I had several "bad" parts that feel a lot better after months of doing yoga stuff.

I actually did have the "painful knees while kneeling" issue, and it pretty much went away over time (due to strengthening them and weight loss, I imagine).
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Awesome, everyone. Thanks so much for answering! =]
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees. Hurts terribly to kneel on anything. As others have said, let your instructor know and he/she will likely have modifications or suggestions on how to get the most out of it. I can say though, that when I did yoga briefly, the pain of kneeling got less and less and I kept trying. Wish I hadn't stopped going!
  • zombieyoshi
    Options
    Definitely let your instructor know, if they are any good they will have modifications or alternate poses for you do to until. Also, ask the instructor to keep an eye on your form as you practice, improper form/posture can really hurt you. But yes, as long as you take your time and don't push to hard, it gets easier and much more comfortable :) stick to it, after a while you'll be impressed with how much you've progressed. I absolutely love yoga, and think everyone should do it, it's so amazing for you mind, body and soul. Enjoy your practice, and best of luck. Namaste.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I agree with others...most instructors really want to know of any special problems or needs. When I took yoga the teacher made sure she modified or included alternative exercises for those with joint problems or other issues. They can't help if they don't know about it! Talk to them before class if you can so it gives them some time to re-evaluate some of your moves. Also losing weight may really help as well since there would be less stress on the knee and wrist in some poses. But don't give up on yoga. It's a wonderful form of exercise and so good for you both physically and mentally.