Success with Yoga

Options
elianama
elianama Posts: 12 Member
Just wanted to share the fantastic experience I've had losing weight, getting in shape and getting my head straight with yoga. This is especially for people who dont have a lot to lose, and getting toned is the main issue. For a couple years before I turned to yoga last November, my weight would not budge from the mid-to-high-140s. It didn't matter what I did, my body was not changing. I used to go through spurts of doing a lot of cardio in those days - sometimes I went through periods where I was going consistently to the gym 3-5 mornings a week for 45 minutes or so at a time. When I was younger (I turned 40 this year), this kind of regimen, along with reasonably watching my diet, would have me dropping weight left and right. But in recent years that was not working for me anymore, and I felt I was getting sicker and more out of shape all the time. I was weak, had so much cellulite, and had sore, inflamed areas all over my body.

All that changed after last summer, but something bad had to happen first. I suffered a couple of injuries in quick succession - first I severely sprained an ankle; the next week, I had a freak accident where I fell on both knees in the middle of a street so hard I damaged some of the cartilage in one knee. I was SO DEPRESSED. There I was, already struggling with my self-image and weight, and now to make matters worse, I could no longer run. I stopped exercising completely for a couple months and just focused on healing. But the healing wasn't happening fast enough and in November, my weight was creeping ever closer to 150, and I was nowhere near being ready to run again, and I knew I had to do something.

In November I found myself reading an article about yoga online. Remembering that I'd been curious about yoga for years and always meant to try it, I realized now was the perfect time. I live in a city where yoga is VERY popular, so it was not hard for me to find a studio. The first few classes I took were hot yoga (not Bikram, but still in a heated setting), and the style was "power yoga," which is basically vinyasa with maybe a slightly greater emphasis on strength-based poses. Let me tell you something, if you think yoga is all about relaxation and stretching, you are mistaken!! I thought I was going to pass out during my first class! It was the hardest workout I had ever attempted in my life, and I was absolutely terrible at most of the poses. But I came away from the experience thoroughly exhilarated because I recognized an opportunity: yoga is so hard that to be good at it, you HAVE to be in great shape. So I set my mind then and there on getting good at it. I would achieve my goal of getting in shape by focusing on a DIFFERENT objective, and that's exactly what's happened. It seems obvious in retrospect that this is possible, but I was so obsessed with weight and numbers for all my life that I had missed seeing this simple but important truth.

In the months that followed I kept doing yoga, 2-3 times a week. After the first month, I found a different studio closer to my office, the convenience of which made it easier for me to stay committed, and I kept right on going 2-3 times a week. Though the other studio does not offer hot yoga, I was still doing vinyasa yoga, and I was still dripping sweat during every class, so it was plenty hard. Slowly, I started getting stronger, and steadily, the pounds came off, too. In November, I weighed 149. Today, I weigh 131.5. I've always considered 125 my "ideal" weight - anywhere between that and 135 I feel great, and lower than that and I start feeling underweight. I am shocked and pleased that after so many years of struggling and losing hope, I am on my way to achieving my ideal weight almost effortlessly. I know I'll get there because I love yoga and I have no intention of quitting. After all these months, I still have quite a ways to go - years, probably - before I'm as strong as I want to be. But I am way stronger than before and so proud of my progress so far.

A couple things I wanted to mention before I go is that the benefits of yoga have gone well beyond simply losing weight. I have gained muscle mass, and as a result, I am more balanced and less "klutzy" than I used to be. My feet have gotten stronger, which is something others getting a little older might be able to appreciate. I love music, but attending concerts was getting to be a painful experience because my feet would start hurting so quickly. Yoga will strengthen your feet so you can be on them longer! I love going to concerts again! :) The second, last, and most important thing is the mind benefits you get from yoga. I've gained control over what was an increasingly serious issue with anxiety and I''m able to handle stressful situations in my life with greater ease. It's hard to explain why or how this happens; you kind of just have to experience it for yourself.

Well, that's it - for a while I have been wanting to put my story out there to hopefully inspire others, and this seems as good a place as any! Thanks for reading, and if this gives hope to just one person out there, it was worth the effort. Namaste. :)

Replies

• Darcyclementine
    Darcyclementine Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm just recovering after a fall in the street while out running, am also in my 40s and finding it harder to lose weight these days. I have dabbled in yoga, pilates and yogalates, but your story has inspired me to get off my bum and try harder! No excuses, I can do it!

Thanks for the inspiration x
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I love yoga and have been meaning to incorporate it back into my exercise.

Thank you for sharing your story!
  • elianama
    Options
    I'm sorry about the fall - I know how that feels! I'm so glad you're feeling inspired - don't be afraid to try a different studio, style or instructor. I have been very fortunate to find a couple instructors that I connect with so well, and they've become like mentors to me. Just having those relationships helps to keep me motivated. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your yoga story. I'm actually planning to go back to Bikram Yoga for a class tomorrow and through the weekend. I bought this offer through Living Social and it's going to expire 9/4/13 so I'm cramming it in this weekend. I used to do it faithfully a couple of years ago and it really is beneficial for weight loss and overall health. I used to run in the mornings and do Bikram at night. I relate Bikram to having a massage. Your body sweats out toxins and you stretch your entire body out. I always felt so relaxed and loose after a class. You reminded me that I need to get back to the studio more regularly. I'm looking forward to class tomorrow!
  • elianama
    Options
    Hi Lindonesia, the running/yoga combination seems to work great for lots of people and after I am fully recovered from my knee injury that's what I'm aiming for. Hope your Bikram classes are great! Those last few pounds are a killer, but as you've already experienced it for yourself, you know that yoga can be an effective way to work those off, and you get all the nice side benefits too. The weight loss may not happen overnight, but the results feel more long-term (compared to a fast/extreme diet, where it seems like the weight comes back so easily). I know what you mean about the feeling afterwards - you'd think with such a tough workout you'd be exhausted afterwards, but it's just the opposite. I am usually filled with a calm energy after a class. Anyway, thanks for sharing, and have fun with those weekend plans!
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I do power yoga 3-4 times a week and I love it. It's a terrific, full body workout that's gentle on the joints. I always thought it was just stretching for people who didn't want to get in a hard workout, but it's quite the opposite.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Enjoy the holiday weekend!:smile:
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Anybody know some good DVD's to try? I don't have any classes near me, and most of what I do is at home videos. This power yoga sounds awesome. I only have a "stretching" one.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I love yoga.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I love your journey, OP! I'll have to write my own up one day :)

I don't do much Vinyasa because I'm more into Iyengar yoga, but I do have one DVD that's 5 (I think) different Vinyasa flow routines, and I love it. It's called 10-Minute Solution: Yoga and the instructor is a brunette lady (you'll find it).

I got it so that I could have a few quickies on DVD to do randomly, but it can be done as a long series, too. The DVD also allows programming, so you can do the 'Power' part twice and then the Relaxation, etc, without having to grab the remote.

It's better for folks who have already been to classes, as you might imagine, but I feel comfortable recommending it in general for a beginning yet challenging DVD. It lacks the really descriptive form descriptions that I'm used to, so do be careful. Most yoga DVDs lack those, so really good form comes from elsewhere (classes, workshops, etc), usually.

If anyone is interested in the Iyengar with great instruction for a DVD, I also recommend Yoga Journal's Yoga for Beginners with Patricia Walden. It's a slower style in general, but Walden can get pretty fast, too. It's lovely! You just have to try it, like most yoga, lol.

These are just my top favorites to recommend, not anything I'm affiliated with. I keep recommending them, so I do want to clarify that :)
  • jmcoyuela
    jmcoyuela Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Your story was completely inspiring. I tried Bikram Yoga for the first time Wednesday and I have fallen in love. Yoga is great because it teaches you to be gentle with yourself and not abuse yourself when you fall short of your expectations. In fact, it helps you put expectations into perspective. I have a lot more weight to lose, but I know that making Yoga a part of my regular meditative and exercise practices will increase my flexibility, longevity and ability to see the positive in any aspect of life. May the rest of your journey bring you joy and happiness.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!