Casein vs Whey

Options
jen_zz
jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
Which one's more satiating? Casein or Whey? (for the same number of cals)

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Casein as a powder, though neither are really good alone vs. protein in "whole" forms such as meats.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hi, sorry to hi-jack your thread but I had a question based on this as well, and no sense starting a new topic..
    I've heard that casein and whey is particularly hard on the digestive system, and one should go with a plant-based protein such as pea protein. I don't have a real source on this so it could be bro science at it's best.

Anyone care to whey in? (pffthhh I'm so funny)
  • michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Casein takes longer to digest, for me it does keeps me fuller longer, I usually use it at night or if I know in advance it willb e a while before my next meal. I've never heard anything bad about plant based proteins being better. I guess it all depends on your digestive system, or if you have an allergy to dairy.
  • jen_zz
    Options
    Cheers!
  • jen_zz
    Options
    Just tasted the Dymatize Elite Casein - Cookies and Cream. I must say it doesn't taste as good as my Optimum Nutrition whey. I wonder if it's the brand, or if casein's just generally less tasty then whey.
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My protein powder uses both. If you click on the "triple protein" button, it'll give you their explanation of the types of protein and their benefits

http://truscience.com/trutein.html

FWIW, I use it because their vanilla tastes the most like vanilla ice cream to me :)
  • michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I always found the chocolate casein flavors tasted better and I've always found the casein to be thicker and creamier. I use Godl Standard Chocolate Supreme which I find pretty good. But as with any flavor you'll have to try a few and see what you like best.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Just tasted the Dymatize Elite Casein - Cookies and Cream. I must say it doesn't taste as good as my Optimum Nutrition whey. I wonder if it's the brand, or if casein's just generally less tasty then whey.

ON and Dymatize are pretty close flavor-wise, casein just doesn't taste as good as whey.

I had some ON chocolate casein before, not good.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

ON and Dymatize are pretty close flavor-wise, casein just doesn't taste as good as whey.

and this is why we're chocolate and vanilla...I like ON chocolate Casein vs. most other straight protein powders.
  • jen_zz
    Options

Glad to hear! I was thinking maybe I have gotten a "bad" tub from Dymatize..
  • jen_zz
    Options
    I always found the chocolate casein flavors tasted better and I've always found the casein to be thicker and creamier. I use Godl Standard Chocolate Supreme which I find pretty good. But as with any flavor you'll have to try a few and see what you like best.

I was actually deciding between Rich Chocolate vs Cookies n Creme before settling on C&C. Will try the chocolate flavor next time!
  • jen_zz
    Options
    My protein powder uses both. If you click on the "triple protein" button, it'll give you their explanation of the types of protein and their benefits

http://truscience.com/trutein.html

FWIW, I use it because their vanilla tastes the most like vanilla ice cream to me :)

I do have friends who swear by Trutein!